Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Tu Tu Tun Inn / need advice (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tu-tu-tun-inn-need-advice-720523/)

nanabee Jul 13th, 2007 09:03 AM

Tu Tu Tun Inn / need advice

I've read many comments on Tu Tun Tun Inn and would like to know how long it would take by car to drive there from downtown Portland. I would like to take by grown kids and grandchild. Would it be appropriate for a 2 yr old or is a more for adults.
thanks in advance.

beachbum Jul 13th, 2007 09:11 AM

I answered on the other thread, nanabee, but I should amend it by saying that Tu Tu Tun is geared more for adults, not just adult couples. Honestly, I think your kids would feel a little uncomfortable having their child along.

nanabee Jul 13th, 2007 09:13 AM

thanks so much beachbum! that is what i needed to know. the inn looks so beautiful - maybe i'll have to drag the hubby along instead.

happytrailstoyou Jul 13th, 2007 09:24 AM

It is definitely adult and it struck me as snooty. I got the feeling that I was supposed to think better of myself for having the good judgment to book there.

aloha Jul 13th, 2007 10:16 AM

HTTY, your post made me laugh out loud! I haven't been to Tu Tu Tun, but have had that feeling at other places...the place is just SO wonderful you can't stand it.

eschule Jul 13th, 2007 12:59 PM

according to their website, only kids over 10 are welcome in the summer months. the rest of the year it is open to all ages.

nanabee Jul 13th, 2007 01:48 PM

thanks so much for everyone's reply. i can take snooty for a short weekend. will spend time with 2 yr old grandchild at fun parks in portland instead!

bbqboy Jul 13th, 2007 01:52 PM

Aloha, I get that feeliing from a lot of supposedly wonderful places mentioned on here. I think my mindset is aboout 20 years too young in most cases
round these parts.

NWWanderer Jul 13th, 2007 02:40 PM

Hmm...all due respect HTTY, but I have trouble getting my head around thinking of Tu Tu Tun as "snooty". That has not been my experience at all with that place--warm, friendly and lowkey are the adjectives that come to mind. I like places that have a good, welcoming "feel" to them--I don't care so much about the bells and whistles--to me, that feel is what it's all about, and Tu Tu Tun has it in spades.

But definitely an adult retreat rather than a family place.

happytrailstoyou Jul 13th, 2007 04:13 PM

NWW, You're describing Stephanie Inn, not Tu Tu Tun Inn, and I so much prefer a room with a view of the ocean. Thanks, HTTY

mp Jul 13th, 2007 04:18 PM

No, HTTY, NW Wanderer is describing HER experience of Tu Tu Tunn - just as you described YOURS. Which is the point of this board.

NWWanderer Jul 13th, 2007 04:28 PM

Sorry, you lost me with that post, HTTY, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I'm not a huge fan of the Stephanie, personally--to me, it doesn't have the same intangible "feel" that Tu Tu Tun does although the rooms are of course very nice and it does have ocean views. I prefer other places in Cannon Beach that are more lowkey.

In any event, my post was just intended to give a different POV on the Tu Tu Tun--as I said, "snooty" would not be an adjective that would come to mind based on my experiences there. Now the W in NYC--that's snooty, LOL. But I meant no disrespect to your opinion.

happytrailstoyou Jul 13th, 2007 04:43 PM

Thanks for the exegesis.
Now I understand.