Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   TRYP Hotel in NYC? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/tryp-hotel-in-nyc-1046183/)

TravelinFeet May 23rd, 2015 01:46 PM

TRYP Hotel in NYC?

Hello! Can anyone tell me anything about the TRPY Hotel in NYC? I did a search and it didn't come up in any posts! Any suggestions on the less expensive side in Times Square? I need to be quite close because of a disability and virtually all I will be doing is the theater on this particular trip. Besides I just love staying in the area! (Restaurant suggestions also always welcome!)

Many thanks!

TF

elberko May 23rd, 2015 03:06 PM

Somebody local might have better info, but I think it has just reopened after being refurbished--Don't know if it had a different name before.

jubilada May 23rd, 2015 04:34 PM

It did have a different name, which I can't remember. It is on 35th.
We just stayed at the Edison which is I only better located at 47th just off Broadway, their classic ( not redone) rooms are comfortable and decent sized by NY standards and are very close.
The only issue is few outlets for phone chargers etc.

jubilada May 23rd, 2015 04:56 PM

There is also the Mayfair on, I believe 48th right off Broadway. Very simple, clean. Think a French two star, usually well priced. I think there are a couple of steps at the entrance, though, if this is an issue. Another relatively reasonable choice is the Belvedere, also right around there.

Elizabeth_S May 25th, 2015 06:25 AM

I just saw a great deal on Travelzoo for TRYP by Wyndham Times Square (not the one on 35th - this is apparently a newly refurbished property at 234 West 48th).

The Travelzoo deal is $159/night for July - September 2; $179/night in June. That's a better price than on the hotel's website. Booking must be made by June 5 on Travelzoo's site.

Christina May 25th, 2015 02:44 PM

The Tryp is on 35th and isn't really close to Times Square, even if they advertise as such. It's good for Madison Sq Garden. It's been around about 3 years, you can find reviews easily with Google. It didn't used to be a hotel AFAIK, it was an office building. That's a decent hotel group in Europe, but for Times Square, I wouldn't stay there.

I routinely stay in an Applecore hotel on west 46th street if I'm going just for theater. It is very reasonably priced for that area. I prefer the one called Broadway at Times Square, which is the closest for theater, although they have one a bit cheaper about a block or two east on the asme street. It's across from Muse, which is very nice, but much more expensive. The Broadway at TS is a decent hotel, clean and comfortable, of course rooms are small.

http://applecorehotels.com/broadway-...-square-hotel/

mclaurie May 25th, 2015 03:19 PM

There are now confusingly two Tryp Hotels. The original one is quite good on west 35th st., not really the theater district. The Tryp Times Square on wets 48th was the Best Western President. They have cleverly renamed it and reviews on Tripadvisor are NOT good. They actually sound worse than when it was the BW President. I wouldn't stay there.

china_cat May 26th, 2015 06:31 AM

We recently stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn at 42nd, just a stones throw from Times Square. It was quite reasonably priced, and was a perfectly decent hotel. Clean, comfortable. No complaints.

doug_stallings May 26th, 2015 10:50 AM

I think the problem with the Tryp hotel on West 48th is that people were expecting something shiny and new and got a mid-range dowdy hotel that still needs a serious update. Having said that, the Tryp on West 35th has a good location and is relatively new. So as long as you are booking Times Square SOUTH you're good to go.

doug_stallings May 26th, 2015 10:57 AM

If you are looking for a decent mid-range hotel, look at the Edison, the Row NYC, the Econo Lodge Times Square, and Hampton Inn Times Square North.

A lot of hotels called "Times Square" (esp. "Times Square South") are not even close to Times Square but rather are in the west 30s, near Penn Station. Some of these hotels are quite good, however, especially the new-builds---and there are a lot of those. But they are not uniformly convenient to transit or anything else. In short, if the hotel is west of 8th Avenue, it may not be particularly convenient.

If you have to be "quite close" to theaters, run possible hotels by us and we can tell you if you are or are not close.