Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Trying to make NYC Thanksgiving great (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/trying-to-make-nyc-thanksgiving-great-206461/)

xxx Nov 10th, 2001 01:28 PM

Trying to make NYC Thanksgiving great

Please advise and help. Lifelong dream of seeing parade in person. It's me, Mom and 3 kids, 15,12,9. I have reservations at Hotel Edison 2 nites at 180.00/nite. I'm on a tight budget, still searching for a better deal, I've checked nycvisit.com site and there are alot of deals but I'm not familiar with NYC and need a hotel close to the parade route for bathroom stops, cold etc. Clean, safe. Is this the best I can do? Should we be further up Broadway, like the Amertainia? Also, I'd like to take the kids to Little Italy for a "family style" dinner that Wednesday night, I think they'd love it. Could someone help with the subway routes to take from the Amesterdam Theater, 214 W.42st St.(we are seeing the Lion King) to Little Italy and recommed a reasonable , yet delicious restaurant? Please instruct the lost souls how to get back as I want to then take them up to the Museum of Natural History to see the balloons inflated the night before. I've posted before and have experienced wounderful people helping me so much. Thank you. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Thanks!!

Patrick Nov 10th, 2001 06:22 PM

For family style Italian, you couldn't really have any more fun than Carmine's near Times Square (45th?) just west of Broadway, or even Becco's, on 46th. Both do "family style", Becco's serving all you can eat pastas out of skillets at your table -- all you want. It really isn't worth it to head clear down to Little Italy for the kids' sake. Not sure what the Amertainia is, but the Edison is OK location wise. For the actual holiday you may be getting a pretty good price at $180, especially with 3 kids. Other dates have really good prices, but with all those out of town bands and tourists in, it may be tricky for Thanksgiving weekend.

Philip Nov 11th, 2001 07:22 AM

I second the idea of Carmine's. Although I think you may need to make reservations if you are going at the dinner hour. They are at 200 West 44th Street (212-221-3800).<BR><BR>If you are absolutely set on Little Italy, then you might consider Puglia's (189 Hester Street between Mott & Mulberry). It is a family oriented restaurant and it's the type of place where you sing along with the waiters & live music. BUT: I don't think they accept credit cards.<BR><BR>If you are looking to go to Little Italy from 42nd Street, take the N or R downtown to Canal Street. This will let you off at Broadway & Canal Street. You can walk east along Canal Street for about 2-3 blocks and everything to your left (uptown side of Canal) will be Little Italy.<BR><BR>Returning from Little Italy you can again catch the N or R at Canal & Broadway going uptown. If you want to stop off at your hotel (the Edison?) you can get off at 49th Street.<BR><BR>If you are headed up to the Museum of Natural History, you will want to get on a B or C train. If you are going from the Edison Hotel, just walk over to 8th Avenue & 50th Street and catch an uptown C train. If you are heading straight there from Little Italy, you can head uptown on the N or R and change to a C at 42nd Street. Or if it's a nice night and you want to walk off that pasta you might just want to walk west a few blocks on Canal Street and pick up the C at 6th Avenue.<BR><BR>

xxx Nov 11th, 2001 01:17 PM

Thank you, I was able to save a bit with the NYC Paint the town Red , White and Blue promotion. I reserved the Belvedere for $125.00 a night, room with 2 double beds, from all the research I did on this site, the Belvedere sounds good. I thought it would be great for the kids to see another part of the city, and I've read that restaurants around Times Square "can be" a bit of a rip off. I just wanted to be within the "neighborhood" the flavor, so to speak. I experienced Little Italy several years ago and came away with a great meal and a wonderful experience, I thought I could duplicate that for my kids. Comments, tips welcomed. Thanks

xxx Nov 11th, 2001 01:44 PM

With your location at the Belvedere, you're be right at the beginning of the parade route, right by the museum of natural history, and in a a very family oriented neighborhood with good cheap restaurant choices. Also, there's good subway access just down the block to all parts of the city. Sounds like you did well.

carole Nov 12th, 2001 05:40 AM

I believe the Belvedere is on W 48th St. between 8th and 9th Ave.

Sarah Nov 12th, 2001 06:28 AM

live here don't want to knock where you want to go at all but I would rethink Little Italy.<BR><BR>Also want to suggest Magnolia bakery on Bleeker and west 11 just went last night and had dream like cup cakes and saw amazing cakes. It looks like a bakery not cafe so something to think about but YUM!!!. Near Soho but West Village....Soho has had an great make over in the past 10 years, you and your kids will have a great time walking around here even if you don't buy, I never do. I took a 12 year old and a 15 year old last year and they loved it. Both Soho and West Village are what give NYC its image of style. <BR><BR>Get a Zagats and select a restaurant using this. They will show you family finds that are appealing to both your kids and your palate. <BR><BR>DON"T FORGET, WATCH THEM BLOW UP BALOONS NIGHT BEFORE PARADE IN CENTRAL PARK. ...This is my favorite part of thanksgiving here. Just love the fact that Thanksgiving is a non-religious holiday and everyone comes together in NYC.<BR>

Elizabeth Nov 12th, 2001 10:54 AM

Just to be oppositional: I think Little Italy is a nice idea. I do think it has a different feel from other places in the city, even though it is no longer what it was when there was still immigration to the area. It still feels foreign or Italian, it's still pleasant to walk around. I'd find the cheapest older restaurant I could and have spaghtti and meatballs, then go to a cafe for coffee and dessert. I guess Ferrara's is the most famous, but any older one would be nice.<BR>For walking around you want Mulberry Street, which is the heart of the old Little Italy. <BR><BR>If you have girls with you--there are boutiques around there--maybe someone will tell you. Males can go ina bar and watch soccer games possibly while girls are visiting boutiques. (Very important in NYC to stay within defined gender roles as I am sure you know from TV)<BR><BR> I agree with the person who adores the Magnolia Bakery, it is near both my church and my yoga center, so I am required to visit it often--though you chould know the whole place has only 3 tables. It is however the closest thing to paradise the city has to offer.

Elizabeth Nov 12th, 2001 10:59 AM

Me again, hope you check info about the balloons, I read somewhere that they are blowing them up earlier this year, which may not be true. Macy's may have a site, or somebody here will know.