Trying to fly to Orlando from Europe--what to do about Jeanne

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to a sudden death in the family, I need to fly to Orlando from Europe (starting in Paris). I was originally planning on a flight Sunday, but that looks to be about the time that Jeanne will hit central Florida. Unfortunately, I can't leave earlier.
What would you Floridians recommend--go for my Sunday flight and plan on being stuck in the NYC area if flights to Orlando are canceled? Or postpone the flight from Europe until Tuesday--things should be ok in Orlando by then, but I then run the risk of Jeanne's remnants causing problems (flooding, wind) up in the Mid-Atlantic.
I have to book the ticket by tomorrow, so I'm leaning toward flying Sunday anyway and taking my chances, but not sure what's best. I do need to get to Orlando as soon as I can.
Thanks.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:41 AM

I'm so sorry about the death in your family.
I'd book the Sunday flight. It is really too early to predict where on the east coast Jeanne will hit. I live on the ocean in Virginia and heard that we need to be concerned.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 05:41 AM

Sorry to hear about the death in your family, BTilke. I am in the same boat with an international flight into Miami on Sunday. I'm just watching and waiting for the time being since these recent storms have been so unpredictable.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:14 AM

If you have a non-stop to Orlando from NY and are held up by the threat of a hurricane, they might fly you into Atlanta and hope to get you to Florida later in the day. From Atlanta you could always rent a car if you had to, I think it's about 5-6 hr. drive or so. The worst that could happen is that you'd be a day late and it sounds like the plans aren't critical until after Tuesday. I'd go for it.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 06:19 AM

So sad to hear about your loss. I would as of now stay with your current plans. No one knows for sure if this storm will come our way. Even if you get stuck for awhile in New York it shouldn't be for too long.(We hope)
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 07:46 AM

To play it safe you may want to fly into Tampa and then drive over to Orlando.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:24 AM
OO

These things are so iffy BTilke, I agree with the others, shoot for Sunday and stick with your Orlando plan. At this point two of the computer models even show Jeanne crossing the state and coming to Tampa. Go for it and hope for the best. Airport closures are normally pretty short lived in most of these things, so even if you don't make it on the first shot and are diverted, you'll probably only be a couple hours short of your goal.

Again, I'm sorry about your loss...and now for this added concern on top of it all.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:32 AM

You may already be aware of this, but international bereavement fares usually aren't very good. I've unfortunately had a couple of experiences with this, and found just booking normally was the least expensive way to go.
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 08:48 AM

...I am in Orlando and flew home from Seattle on a flight that arrived Friday morning, 6:30 am, and the storm (Frances) was scheduled hit that afternoon, they said they would most likely close the airport at 12 that day....the weather is unusually calm right before the storm, so even if it is scheduled to hit at a specific time, you still may make it in right before...good luck and I'm sorry for the circumstances of why you need to come back...
Old Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I'm not flying on a bereavement fare as I'm flying into one city, out of another and a third different arrival city back in Europe. The fares we found weren't so bad considering the short notice.
I may be able to fly Saturday, but it looks like Sunday is still the day to leave. Fingers crossed.