Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Trying to decide on hotels close to Port of Miami

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 10:59 AM
Tara

My daugher and I are taking a mom/daughter cruise in June. We're arriving into Miami a day early and are wanting to stay at a hotel near Port of Miami and Bayside. From looking on the internet, my choices are down to:
Best Western Marina Park (does anyone know how the pool is there)
Sheraton Biscayne Bay
Radisson Deauville
Marriott Biscayne Bay
Wyndham Biscayne Bay

Does anyone know anything about these hotels? Pro's and Cons would be good. They're all about the same price (Best West. is a little cheaper but I'm concerned about what the pool is like there). I don't need the best, but, would like a nice pool area.
Thanks!

Old Jan 21st, 2001, 04:26 PM
Patrick

Of those you mentioned the only one that is really easy walking distance to Bayside is the Best Western. I haven't looked at it lately, but used to be pretty run down, maybe much nicer now since that area has really improved. The other option with a really nice pool that is an easy walk is the Intercontinental, unless they have priced themselves out of the market. In June, however, you should be able to get a really good rate there, especially if it is a Friday or Saturday night. It is a lovely hotel. I'm spending this Thursday night at the Hyatt, about two blocks away from there, so will have a look and get back to you if you haven't gotten a more definitive answer before then.

Old Jan 26th, 2001, 09:43 PM
Patrick

Well, Tara, just returned from a night over in Miami, so here's the scoop: I walked up to the Best Western which has the best location to Bayside. What a dump. I walked through the rather nondescript bar and restaurant through a door to the pool. It was about 16 x 32--the standard size around here for a modest home pool. It was within a walled area and surrounded by about 10 feet of concrete on each side. There were exactly 12 plastic chaise lounges, three of which (at least) were clearly broken. At 4 PM there was not even a glimmer of sunlight into the area due to the tall buildings around it. Admittedly in June with the sun further north there would probably be a lot more tanning potential, but within that little walled compound in June I would imagine it would feel like a blast furnace. So considering what you say about your daughter, she may not be speaking to you if you book there.
I still stand by my suggestion for the Intercontinental, but I found that they have just done a total renovation, including making the already wonderful pool area even more spectacular. If you can swing a special price in June, I'd heartily recommend that as first choice, especially as it's virtually adjacent to the Bayside complex. I had forgotten that the Marriot Bayside and Wyndham, although not walker friendly to Bayside are connected by the elevated "people mover" tram which runs every ten to fifteen minutes, so that really may not be a problem. Also the Hyatt where I stayed is about two blocks back from the water directly behind the bayside Intercontinental and it has a very nice pool area and really nice large rooms. Florida Hyatts do great AAA rates if you are a member. The Sheraton is a little further south so more of a walk. I'm really not sure where the Radisson is. Hope I've been some help.

Old Jan 27th, 2001, 06:55 PM
Anthony

After reading many posts here about cruising out of Miami, I don't understand why everyone insists on staying in downtown Miami just to be near the Port. There are limited hotels of nice quality in the area(Intercontinental and Hyatt probably the best choices) and besides Bayside Mall there's nothing to do downtown.
A much better alternative is to enjoy the atmosphere that Miami beach, (whether South Beach or further North)
has to offer: the shops, restaurants, and nightlife, by staying in Miami Beach.
There is a thing called TAXIS that can take you from Miami Beach to the cruise ship piers in about 20 -30 mins.......
Besides, even if you stay downtown,you CAN'T walk to the ship piers - you STILL need a cab to the ships.

Old Jan 29th, 2001, 04:43 AM
Ana

InterContinental Hotel is within walking distance of Bayside...Sheraton and Marriott would be other two that aren't dumps. InterContinental is beautiful and best situated if you want to stay downtown...M. Beach is far too crowded and expensive. If you are going for a cruise...stay away from hotels downtown like B. Western...downtown, if you stay at all, go high brow...all the other hotels are dumps, imo. I've lived here all my life.

Old Mar 4th, 2003, 04:10 PM

what about the doubletree grand hotel biscayne bay??