Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   trying new sports on Kauai? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/trying-new-sports-on-kauai-319515/)

hedgerow May 21st, 2003 04:00 PM

trying new sports on Kauai?

We will be spending one week in Kauai at the beginning of June (soon! soon!). We're staying in Haena, on the North Shore, across from Tunnels beach. I've ordered the Ultimate Guide so if you tell me to just wait for it to arrive, I will do so, but here are my questions...
1. My fella and I would like to try a surf lesson. Where should we do it? Also, we're in our late twenties, fairly athletic, will we have fun or just make ourselves miserable?
2. Neither of us has ever kayaked. Is it the kind of thing we need to know how to do or can we just pick it up? I've done two-person canoe trips and some whitewater rafting.
3. Snuba! I've snorkeled, no scuba. He's never done either. I've seen some posts on snuba in the poipu area but can we find it closer to us?
Thanks for any and all advice.
Best,
LB

islandmom May 21st, 2003 07:15 PM

Kite-surfing! Kauai is harder to find these activities. I'm sure you can find something. Just check with the locals on the safe places to go.

klqkauai May 22nd, 2003 06:11 AM

We absolutely love the North shore of Kauai. I feel certain you will enjoy it. The snorkeling is exceptional at Tunnels beach and you are so near it. There is also very good snorkeling at Lawai Beach next to the Beach House restaurant. It is a very small beach, but the snorkeling is quite good there - much better than Poipu. There are always groups of individuals who are learning to snuba at Lawai Beach. I don't know the company that brings the group there, but it should be easy to locate. I have never seen anyone "snuba" on the North Shore and we travel there annually, but that doesn't mean it is not available. As far as surf lessons, I would check with the dive shops. We're not surfers so I'm afraid I cannot help you there. As far as kayaking, we kayak every year in Kauai and I think you can pick up the basics fairly well. Usually, you're given a short lesson at the shop you rent your kayak. There is a good one about 5 minutes from you on the North Shore right on the Hanalei River. This has been our favorite river to kayak in Kauai. The Wailua (Smith's Grotto) can be very congested with all the commerical boats taking people to the grotto. The Hanalei is nice and quiet and you have easy access should you want to ocean kayak as well. If you do, let them know so you get an "ocean kayak." You can get a two person or single kayak. It costs about $65/day. We have always rented a two person kayak in Kauai. If you've done white water rafting, you should have no problems. This will be a walk in the park for you. You don't need to reserve in advance. Have fun. We have always traveled to Kauai in February/March so I would think your weather on the North Shore will be more dependable than ours in the winter, but there is no where else we would rather be when the weather cooperates. It is an exceptionally beautiful spot! Enjoy.

vivi May 22nd, 2003 09:20 AM

For surf lessons:

Stop by and see Ambrose in the Kapaa area and set up a lesson. (Or phone Ambrose Curry, he is in phone book.) You can find him on the corner in a little "yellow compound" across from Foodland/McDonalds just a tad south of Kapaa. He is a kick (a real "character"), gives great personalized lessons, you will enjoy it.

hedgerow May 22nd, 2003 09:33 AM

Thank you all for the great information. Every time I visit this board I get more excited for our trip!