Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Try to decide on a Broadway show? Here's one politically-correct list.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not wanting start a political debate, but I thought it was interesting to read the list of the eight Broadway shows on the "GOP-approved" shows during the Republican convention in New York. The convention bought out the Wednesday matinee for these eight shows:
Aida, Beauty and the Beast, Bombay Dreams, 42nd Street, The Lion King, Movin' Out, Phantom of the Opera and Wonderful Town.
Noticeably absent from the list: Chicago, Fiddler on the Roof, Mamma Mia, The Producers and Wicked, among others.
Very interesting!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:22 AM

Buying tickets for and "GOP-approved" is certainly not the same.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:53 AM
GoTravel

Of course Mamma Mia! was left off the list.

Does anyone really expect republicans to *get* Abba?

I mean really, "Dancing Queen" just reeks of sexuality.

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 06:55 AM

I guess that new show, Guantanamo, was off the list as well? Where did you read this?
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

The list was in a news items on the Playbill website. The article concerned Actors' Equity instructions to performers to "report to work as usual" during the convention next week. The article listed those eight shows which the GOP bought out for next Wednesday.
It's understandable why Avenue Q and The Frogs were not on the list, as they are definitely anti-Bush.
The others obvious ones rejections?
Mamma Mia is about, as we used to say, "a child born out of wedlock."
"Chicago" involves getting away with murder.
"The Boy from Oz" is about a gay performer.
"The Producers" has a few gay characters.
Heavens, who would want to be exposed to those things?
Then, there's "Hairspray." Is integration still too controversial for Republicans?
And why reject Fiddler on the Roof? Who's offended by that one?
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 07:49 AM
JJ5

Of course you are going to start a political debate- you've been on these boards far, far long enough to know where this goes.

Many Republicans, that are my peers, "get" Abba. Music and sexuality are not tied to political inclination as much as you sterotype.

It may have more to do with the contributions of the owners of those properties to the Democratic candidate than it does to the content of the programs. Who knows? Maybe not, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Republicans would rather not support the other party financially while in town doing "the process."

I do think that political conventions are a big waste of money- as they are held now. It made a lot more sense when deligates actually picked the presidential candidate this way and platforms were actually developed there. Now it's just a pep rally- that in our system doesn't amount to a whole lot except huge income for the hosting city.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Sounds like their could have been a package deal with Disney - Aida, Beauty, and Lion King. Interesting that they stuck to 'safe' shows. However, 2 of the above are primarily for children. I guess if the shoe fits....
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

JJ5, I can immediately shoot holes in your theory: I believe that Wonderful Town and Chicago share the same producers.
Yes, I've been found out. If the truth be known, I think their actions are ludicrous!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 09:23 AM

What? The Republicans recommended a show called "Movin Out"? I thought they didn't want to do that!

I'm still working on their "boycott" of Fiddler on the Roof. One of the daughters does marry a "liberal". The tailor is self-employed, a small business owner, not big business. A man and woman appear together in one bed -- not twins. A lot of the male actors sport full beards making them look a little like Osama. OK, I'm starting to get it now.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 09:31 AM

No, no Patrick you've missed it. The entire show is about Jews in Russia - a double whammy for Republicans.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 10:05 AM

There certainly are endless jokes we can make about the reasons behind the selected or unselected choices. However, most of the shows on the GOP list have sold tickets at a discount for some time now so isn't it really that they've selected shows with the best deals? Some shows have had really slow sales lately because there's nobody left who hasn't seen the show so I wouldn't be surprised if the offer was put out there to the convention. I'm guessing too that the Disney shows were a package deal and of course they wouldn't book at any show blatantly anti Bush or anti Republican.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 10:10 AM
GoTravel

JJ, I was being sarcastic.

I am a republican therefore I can make fun of my fellow republicans.

PS I'm a tree hugging pro choice feminist. My husband calls me a Lipstick Enviromentalist.

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Original Poster

hamlet, you could be right about some of the shows, but The Lion King is still one of the two shows that regularly sells out. (The other is Wicked.) Further, some of the other ones that weren't selected are doing just as poorly as some of the selections.
I don't think anyone can argue that the shows weren't handpicked for their content (or lack thereof).
The unfortunate thing is that those who only follow the GOP recomm
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 11:09 AM
Original Poster

Ooops, I clicked the wrong button. As I was saying....The unfortunate thing is that those who only follow the GOP recommendations are missing out on some of the best that Broadway has to offer!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 11:24 AM

Oh they are a fun bunch those conservatives...
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 11:36 AM

"Sounds like their could have been a package deal with Disney - Aida, Beauty, and Lion King. Interesting that they stuck to 'safe' shows. However, 2 of the above are primarily for children. I guess if the shoe fits...."

Bugswife--you are too funny!!!!
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:06 PM

They also have been advised to avoid
"Naked Boys Singing"

Go Figure
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:13 PM
Rob

I seem to recall readingsomewhere the NY TImes was underwriting some of the cost of the tickets for the shows on the approved list.
Old Aug 27th, 2004, 01:14 PM
GoTravel

Was The Puppetry of Penis on that list?

Old Aug 27th, 2004, 02:25 PM

Oh, MY G... Channel 2 News in NYC just announced that the GOP are also going to matinees on Sunday and guess what Fiddler is on that list. The NY Times is picking up the ticket costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -