Trip tp Banff/Glacier/Yellowstone

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would appreciate any feedback on the following itinerary and any recommendations on places to stay and especially on some unique experiences for the following trip:

We have 2-3 weeks to take our kids (18,16,13) to visit some of the parks in Canada and Northwest US. First 2-3 weeks of July. All of us love the outdoors, hiking, bikes, rafting, wildlife watching, etc.

First thought would to to train from Toronto to Calgary. Then to drive to Banff. Since there are 5 of us, we'd be looking to spend 3-4 days in the Banff/Lake Louise area at a place that can accomodate all of us in one space..cabin, suite at a hotel...any thoughts? We have gotten used to the prices at summer destinations...we'd like a place that is comfortable, clean, close to alot of activities.

Are we missing out by not trying to get up to Jasper??

After Banff, we thought about driving to Glacier...so, any recommendations on accomodations, unique things to do, etc would be appreciated. I would imagine 3-4 days in this area

Finally.....MAYBE continue to Yelowstone. Again....any recommendations would be appreciated.

From Yellowstone, we fly home.

Too ambitious of a trip? Changes?
THANKS!

Old Feb 5th, 2007, 04:21 PM

In the event that you have not already done so, I would suggest also posting this on the Canada Forum. The poster by the name of "Judy in Calgary" always has great advice to give on the Cdn Rockies.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 05:00 PM

If you are starting in Toronto then first go to Jasper (less crowded, then down the Icefield Hwy.(beautiful) to the Baniff area. We really enjoyed the Canadian side of Glacier, Waterton, because it too is less crowded. Yellowstone would be a full day drive from Glacier, very crowded, but tons of wildlife if that is what you are looking for. If you do go to Yellowstone then visit Grand Teton which is only about an hour south.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 08:59 PM

Regarding Glacier NP, we loved it. We stayed in the Pinnacle Cottages at the Resort at St. Mary. There are enough beds, although there is only one bathroom. This is a link to my Trip Advisor review http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...y_Montana.html

I can't recommend lodging for Banff since we were a much smaller group of three, but check out the Canada forum. I think you must do the Icefields Parkway, Banff to Jasper. I think you could do it in a day (a long day) if necessary.

We did the trips separately, Banff to Jasper one year and Glacier NP and Waterton Lakes NP another year. You're lucky to have so much time available. We spent a week in each place and that felt about right, although I always leave wanting more, which is the best way I suppose. Both places are stunningly beautiful

As for Yellowstone, I've haven't been yet.
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:29 PM

been there in aug 05 - great trip
-In banff we stayed at High Country Inn - The room was good but the breakfast was awesome ***** - get the breakfast(swiss hot and cold )option you will not regret it we booked tru
odenza travels - see their website
-the BOW valley drive is good(banff-L Louise) but along with lake louise DO LAKE MORAINE - the short uphill walk is soooo worth it. the pics turn out very AWESOME plan on clear day if u can
-If you go to jasper FROM banff or vise versa do see the icefields - the bus ride total trip takes about 2-3 hrs and it takes you from base to the icefield .unless u want to hike to the glacier - we saw people doing that -
you can stay in the icefield chalet there - check that on their website
we did not stay there though
IF DOING THE BREWSTER BUS TRIP then jasper - icefeld - banff is 1 day -easy
just start 9ish or latest by 10am
Jasper is known for horse riding trips
prebook thru pyramid riding stables
BUT if you go to jasper DO NOT MISS
MIETTE HOT SPRINGS - day trip - open till 9 or 10 at night depends on season
take your swimsuit or rent there
also plan to visit DRUMHELLER and see the royal tyrrell museum - dinosaur bones and exhibits and you could tour the excavation site - our kids 11&5 loved it - so did grandma - not sure with your teens?? its unique
quickly while there see the worlds littlest church Drumheller is 3 hrs from edmonton We did it 1/2 day there(enroute banff to edmonton)again start early or do daytrip from calgary-drumheller is1.5 hrs from calgary
never been to yellowknife
goodluck
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 01:16 AM

marking
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 02:07 AM

The most beautiful part of Western Canada is just the road from Banff to Jasper.You should not miss that.If possible it would be best to start your tour say in Edmonton.And from there drive to Jasper and then on.Paul
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 04:52 AM
AlJ

I'm jealous of anyone that can spend 3 weeks in that part of the world. Never been to Banff but loved Glacier and Yellowstone.

Yellowstone does get a lot of people but is a huge park. It can hold a lot of people. We were there this past July and loved it.

You need to decide something soon or you will have a lot of trouble getting lodging in any of the National Parks.

Most of the information I could offer is in our web site. Our trip started in Jackson Hole. Through the Tetons to Yellowstone. Yellowstone to Glacier. From there we headed to Seattle to see friends.

www.AlandSueJohnson.com. You can click on the bison picture.
Old Aug 2nd, 2007, 07:59 PM

how did your trip go?
do tell what you did & where you went