Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Trip to Savannah & Charleston (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/trip-to-savannah-and-charleston-521369/)

hockeyspaniel Apr 14th, 2005 09:37 PM

Trip to Savannah & Charleston

Taking Trip with my friends From Raleigh to Savannah to Hilton Head to Charleston and back to Raleigh. Have a couple days and nights at each location. Any thing I should not miss? Any Places to eat I should not miss? What about stops along the way? Would appreciate hearing from an experienced southern traveler. Thanks Eliz

LoveItaly Apr 14th, 2005 10:47 PM

Hi hockeyspaniel, well I am sure not an experienced southern traveller but I did have my first visit in Charleston a week ago. What a beautiful and delightful city!

The two restaurants that we ate at and absolutely loved was Ploogan's Porch which has been recommended here on Fodors and also S.N.O.B. Both were excellent retaurants. I had grilled scallops at Ploogan's and rack of lamb at S.N.O.B. Both in the historical district of Charleston. I would sure eat at both of them again without any hesitation.

You sound like you have a wonderful trip planned. Enjoy the fantastic historic architect in Charleston. And if you like walking, the walk along the Cooper River is so nice with interesting dwellings across the street. The Market place is fun to go through. So many sites to enjoy. St. Michael's Church is very famous and historical. Charleston is a pleasure as one can walk everywhere. Just be careful on the cobblestones and cracked sidewalks. My friend and I had fun stumbling around every block or two as we gazed at all the wonderful houses, gardens and buildings. We did manage not to fall though, thank goodness. Enjoy!

dan_woodlief Apr 15th, 2005 10:14 AM

A little advice from a Durham neighbor: With two days in Charleston, I would make sure to see the Battery, Market and Church Streets, the City Market, a house of two, and perhaps the Charleston Museum if you like museums. I also like grabbing a to go breakfast and having sort of a picnic sitting on one of the large swings at Waterfront Park on the Cooper River. A carriage tour is also fun. I highly recommend the Battery around sunset, but the houses will look their best in the early morning when front lit by the sun. There are so many good restaurants, and it would be hard to name one or two you have to try. Just pick a couple of the usual favorites like S.N.O.B., Poogan's Porch, Ansons, etc. and enjoy. I can recommend one dish, however, if you have not had it - shrimp and grits. I am not a grits fan generally, but I have had this dish in three places (in Charleston and Chapel Hill) and loved it every time. If you want more ideas, including reviews of some of the houses and other sights, you can take a look at my Charleston photos and travelogues at www.oneeyed.homestead.com.

hockeyspaniel Apr 15th, 2005 04:56 PM

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR REPLY. MY FRIENDS HAVE DESIGNATED ME AS THE TRAVEL AGENT. THEREFORE, THE MORE INFORMATION I CAN GET THE BETTER. MY GOAL IS TO GET THE MOST OUT OF THE TIME WE HAVE AT EACH LOCATION. HOWEVER, I AM GETTING MORE POSITIVE FEEDBACK ON CHARLESTON THAN I AM FOR SAVANNAH AND HILTON HEAD. BUT I AM SURE THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL PLACES AS WELL. THANK YOU!

cmcfong Apr 15th, 2005 04:59 PM

You should do a search for GoTravel's trip report. She really did a great job on a Charleston visit!

birgator Apr 16th, 2005 08:51 AM

Morning:

Fortunate in living equidistant from Savannah and Charleston -- but I probably go to Charleston over Savannah by 10 to 1. My out of town guests, however, seem to enjoy Savannah more; the two are quite different! I generally have company watch or read "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" before going to Savannah, since the majority of the tours seem to be based on "the book" these days.

If you want to try Southern food in S, go to Mrs. Wilkes', lunch only (11-2, no credit cards); Lady & Sons in my opinion is greatly overrated and the wait can be horrendous. The Pink House and Elizabeth's are both excellent for dinner, as is the Sapphire Grill (the tasting menu is usually exceptional and a great value if they still offer it).

Beaufort is a great day stop when in Hilton Head; try an historic kayak tour of the harbor -- wonderful experience! For lunch, try Plums (shrimp salad or chicken salad), on the porch with a view of the marina; last time we ate dinner at Bay Breeze which was excellent, plus had a grand waterfront view as well.

B/

hockeyspaniel Apr 16th, 2005 11:15 AM

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSES. THE GO TRAVEL WAS CUTE AND INFORMATIVE AS WELL AS THE OTHERS. ANY MORE INFO WILL BE HELPFUL, ESPECIALLY ON SAVANNAH AND HILTON HEAD AND IN BETWEEN. THANKS