Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Trip to Saranac Lake. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/trip-to-saranac-lake-159512/)

Nikki Feb 11th, 2002 04:49 PM

Trip to Saranac Lake.

Planning a weekend Trip to Sarnac Lake for the 1st time. Has anyone stayed at the Harbor Hill Cottages on Little Flower Lake? What other suggestions would you have for a cabin or lodge type stay in that area? Thanks.

Why? Feb 12th, 2002 04:03 AM

Why would you want to go to Saranac Lake? This town is ugly although its location is wonderful but Saranac Lake is the best example how to turn beautiful spot to an ugly place. There is nothing<BR>Lake Placid is only 8-10 miles away and there are many more interesting accommodations

nikkie Feb 12th, 2002 05:59 AM

Really? I saw where it was voted the #1 small town in NY and the #10 small town in the US? What's so ugly about it? Please elaborate?

Why? Feb 12th, 2002 06:49 AM

Go and see for yourself. It is a joke around there that somehow somwhere somone decided to make a fun by voting #1.<BR>#1 in what? <BR>Been there and done that

bella Feb 15th, 2002 08:51 AM

Who is Somone? Sounds like you've never been there..You didn't elaborate.. Just nasty remarks.

Amy Feb 15th, 2002 09:50 AM

I've been to Saranac Lake at least 6 times, and like it quite a bit, but we don't stay in town. Its a beautiful area, you can boat, hike, golf, horse back ride, etc. I can't offer any information on accomodations, we are incredibly fortunate enough to have a friend who has a place. It doesn't sound like the place you mention is in Saranac itself. The town is just a regular small town, a few shops, a few restaurants, a grocery or two, a few bars (there is a local college), nothing special, but I wouldn't call it ugly. Now Lake Placid, which I only remember from driving through it once, was the land of tacky t-shirt shops as far as I could tell, although we didn't leave the main drag to do any exploring, so it probably isn't fair to categorize it so. The area has great natural beauty, and I suspect you will spend most of your time enjoying that, rather than the towns of the area. <BR>Best Regards, Amy

kate Feb 15th, 2002 10:36 AM

We go through Saranac and vicinity every fall and think that it is very nice.

Peg Feb 15th, 2002 02:01 PM

I live in this area and agree with all of you that this is a beautiful area but Saranac Lake is nothing special. I wouldn't want to stay in SL. If you want to stay in a lodge with a great atmosphere check out the Adirondack Loj which has a great history.<BR>Amy, I hope you give Lake Placid another chance. There is so much more to it than Main Street. Actually we try to avoid this street if possible because of tourist traffic. <BR>Also Saranac Lake is a different town than Saranac.<BR>

ttt May 10th, 2002 06:35 AM

For Hillary