Trip to other places other than Bryce/Zion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a trip at the end Sept/Oct, starting in Vegas.
I have visited this area many times but seem to have missed the "inbetween" places around Zion/Bryce.
I would love to visit the North Rim of the Grand Canyon also and i have read of many wonderful hikes in Cedar Breaks/Escalante.
If anyone can help me arrange this trip that does not include Zion/Bryce i would be very grateful.
Hikes 1-3 hours, scenic views and any must sees!
By the way I LOVE Bryce and Zion but I feel i am missing some equally beautiful places.
I did some canyoneering in Moab and would love to try it again somewhere else.
Many thanks,
Angie
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 08:42 AM

We had a great canyoneering adventure out of Escalante that was guided. (Peek-a-boo, Spooky Canyon, and other slots) It was fantastic, but I would not have been comfortable without that guide! We used Escalante Outback Adventures, although I think there are different owners now. The BLM has a fairly new visitor center and the rangers were great with advice and recommendations.

You might also check into Paria Canyon. You'll need a permit, as the number of visitors are limited.

By the way, North Rim Grand Canyon has many wonderful trails away from the Lodge. You could stay pretty busy in this area, too.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Two different things you could look into are Lower Calf Creek Falls about 30 minutes west of Boulder and Willis Creek slot canyon about 10 miles south of Cannonville
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 09:47 AM

Love the Calf Creek Falls hike but as you mentioned 1-3hrs hikes be aware this might well take you longer especially if you want to enjoy the falls. Swim, take a picnic and enjoy!

You might consider going onto Capitol Reef NP. Hickman Bridge is a great short hike with scenic views.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 09:51 AM

We really liked the Wire Pass trail to Buckskin Gulch slot canyon. The trailhead is near Kanab, UT.

Old Sep 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM

Taking I-15N towards Zion will be passing turn off to Valley of Fire state park. This area of red rock really needs to be seen at sunrise or sunset to get the full effect. They have number of trails including one to a number of petroglyphs.

Along US89 about 44 miles east of Kanab will pass Paria Contact Station, a BLM visitor center. Stop in here, they can give you help on visiting Coyote Buttes & the Wave, Buckskin Gulch which some say is the longest slot canyon in the SW, The Rimrocks which is an area of hoodoos about .6 mile off US89. Info on Paria Movie site which is 5 miles off US89 in a area of spectacular multi-colored badlands and Cottonwood Canyon Rd, a dirt road for most part which runs 46 miles between US89 and Cannonville. The road which is passable in a car if carefully driven (high clearance better but don't need 4wd) becomes impassable when wet. Along the way will pass the Cockscomb, Cottonwood Narrows, Kodachrome Basin state park with its volcanic pipes and a very unique double arch called Grosvenor arch. Several miles past the arch the road is paved into Cannonville.

UT12 is absolute beautiful in its scenery and if you are there in late October the cottonwoods should be in prime color. Stop at Boynton Overlook which is about 14 miles S of Boulder for great "sea" of yellow cottonwoods. Coming from Escalante at the bottom of hill just after you pass over the Escalante River bridge there is turnoff & parking on left. Trail here goes to a natural bridge & arch about 3 miles upstream towards Escalante. Will be hiking in river (usually never more than calf deep) for the most part so use tennis rather than hiking boots. If you go down stream will pass an Anasazi ruin on left. There is another one on the left on the other side of trailhead parking area.

About 5 miles out of Escalante see sign pointing out Hole-in-Rock Road. This washboard road goes 57 miles to the river. Car can make it most of the way. Again high clearance is better but do not need 4wd til about 5 miles to end of road. About 12 miles down on the right is Devils Garden a unique area of hoodoos & arches.
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 05:52 PM

delph,

If you haven't visited these areas before, I recommend the Escalante/Boulder area. Ditto all of Photodog's suggestions, but only if you are going prepared for remote areas. Maybe include Capitol Reef. My favorite hikes there are Hickman Bridge, Cohab Canyon and the Golden Throne.

Happy planning!
Old Sep 8th, 2008, 09:04 PM

I second the motion for Capitol Reef - just drove through there last week and it's really beautiful. I also stayed at the Best Western (clean, comfy and good towels!) in Panguitch one night - tiny town but I found it charming.
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Original Poster

Wow,
Thanks for all the great information,now the fun starts, planning were to stay.
I would ideally like to stay in a rental for a few nights so i have the option of cooking (special diet Gluten Free).
Escalante seems to have a few options of ranch houses, does anyone know the grocery situation in this area.
I basically cannot eat anything with Wheat/oats/barley/rye so the usual fare burgers/pizza/pasta /fried stuff is not for me.
Did you know there is flour on the frozen french fries!
Great salads are always an option along with fish and meat so i never starve! I remember having Utah trout in Springdale very good!
The canyoneering i will check into and all the hikes to see what is doable.
Thanks again,
Angie
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 10:22 AM

As I recall, there's only one rocery in Escalante and it isn't very big. Dining options are limited as well.

Escalante is a wonderfully rustic
western town with friendly residents.

I'd suggest talking to the people who operate the lodging you're
interested in and see what they suggest.

We don't cook on vacation unless we're camping so I'm of little help other that to let you know that all the towns in the area you'll be traveling in are small and shopping options limited. A ranger we chatted with in Capitol Reef NP said that they have to drive 3 hours to get to a "normal" suburban grocery store.

Of course the bison, antelope, local duck, trout and beef is wonderful in that area...you might have to go on the Atkins Diet while you're there

FWIW here's a link to a trip report from our last journey to the area:

http://www.pbase.com/peterb/utah_tr
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 06:15 PM

A couple of things to remember:
1. Sept/Oct can get rainy. If it has been cloudy or is cloudy--do NOT go into a slot canyon. ALWAYS check with rangers. Escalante has some awesome canyoneering possibilities. Calf Creek is only 5 miles round trip and it is very level. Easy to do in 3 hours.

2. If you want to do Capital Reef, I would stay in Torrey. A few more options than Escalante for dining and hotels. (and a good Mexican restaurant--order everything with corn!!)

3. You will want to bring your own groceries. Seriously. Panguitch probably has a decent grocery store. Kanab probably too.

4. I like Kanab--the Rocking V restaurant is amazing.

5. For all of these areas--stay on main roads. Do NOT use MapQuest. It is amazing the number of people who get marooned because they follow MapQuest directions down some really rustic "roads". Some roads are impassable when wet (flooded out by arroyos or just too muddy). Ask a ranger, please!
Old Sep 9th, 2008, 07:01 PM

If you can, try eating at Hell's Backbone in Boulder, an amazing restaurant run by Buddhist chefs! It is wonderful, and I'm sure they could accommodate your diet.