Trip to Orlando - We are 50 somethings!

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip to Orlando - We are 50 somethings!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Orlando first week of July, staying at a WDW resort. We've never been there without our children (who are now grown). What would be a good plan?
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 08:00 AM
GoTravel

First of all, bring plenty of loose fitting cool clothing. Orlando will be extremely hot in July. Plan on hitting the parks in the early morning and late afternoon. From around noon until about 4PM either hang out at the water parks or your hotel pool. I would get park hopper passes for your length of stay.

Old Feb 12th, 2003, 02:46 PM

If you want to get away from the Disney view of things, drive up to Mount Dora, about 40 minutes away. A very nice small town, full of independently owned boutiques, parks, cafes, etc., and most of the people around will be roughly in your age bracket (some older, some younger, but plenty in the 40something/50something range). Check the web site, www.mountdora.com
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 03:09 PM

You might look into the Yacht & Beach Clubs or the Boardwalk resorts. You can walk or ride the ferry to Epcot for dinner in the evenings or the boardwalk.

You might consider the Cirque show, La Nouba, in downtown disney for an evening out. I haven't seen it, but have seen Mystere in Las Vegas.

I also agree, go to the parks when they open, before it gets too hot. Then swim and relax the afternoons away.

www.disboards is a message board devoted to WDW, you will get a lot of great ideas there.

Happy planning & Have a great vacation!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 04:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with staying in one of the "Epcot Resorts". See one of the evening shows--Fantasmic at MGM or Iluminations at Epcot and take leisurely stroll to the Boardwalk to enjoy the entertainment there. Make some PS for a few nice dinners. We love the Flying Fish on the Boardwalk and also discovered Palio at the Swan last summer.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:31 PM

I was just there last week...

I agree that the Epcot resorts are the best(although the Boardwalk area can get pricey). Other great places include Coronado Springs and the Amimal Kingdom Logde (although it's not as central as the others).

Dinner:
- LA Bomba buffet at the Animal Kingdom Lodge was wonderful and reasonabally priced. I went on the recommendation of a WDW bartender & bus driver. African fare.
- Flying Fish on the Boardwalk - the Banana Napolean Breme Brulee Dessert is the best thing I have ever eaten (the walnut/pear salad, crabcakes & squash ravioli were great too).
- Have afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian.
- Spoodles (at the Boardwalk) is also good.
- I haven't tried it, but I heard Emerril's at Universal is good

Activities:
- Circa du Sol - definately worth the steep price
- MGM: Who wants to be a Millionaire, Sounds Dangerous Drew Carey, Walt Disney One Man's Dream
- Animal Kingdom: Tarzan Rocks
- Epcot: Ellen's Adventure, Cranium Command, Innovations, Kodak what if Lab, The British Innvasion (band in the UK), Imaginum (a statue act in France), Illuminations show.
- Magic Kingdom: Parade & Cinderella's Celebration
- Jellyrolls piano bar sing-along on the boardwalk
- Take one of the WDW "special tours" which takes you behind the scenes (I went on one that took you through the Magic Kingdom underground tunnel & behind the scenes at at few MGM & Epcot rides - small groups, lots of Disney fun facts with lunch included).
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 05:22 AM

Don't miss Cirque du Soleil - La Nouba
www.cirquedusoleil.com
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your great hints.
Old Feb 13th, 2003, 08:07 AM

If you like Cuban food, Bongo's at Pleasure Island was excellent. It is in the Pleasure Island section. Also there is a club called "The Adventurers Club" and is a bar, but in true Disney character, they make it into a truly fun show. There are also shops and other theme bars/restaurants in that area. You might want to check out the Disney website and see what is available.