Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Trip to northern California (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/trip-to-northern-california-1086329/)

maura81530 Feb 11th, 2016 06:23 PM

Trip to northern California

My husband and I would like to take a trip out to Napa and/or Sonoma in early April. We'd really love to see as much as we can while we're out there and want to experience as much as we can in such a beautiful part of the country!

I'm looking for suggestions, tips, places to check out, itinerary suggestions, hotel recommendation, etc. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

A few notes:
-We have 7-10 days
-We're active and in our early 30s. It will just be the two of us.
-We'd like to see as much as possible without feeling like we're in the car for a lot of the time
-We're willing to drive 2-3 hours, but probably not much more than that. If it's a further drive than 2-3 hours, we'll come back and visit that spot during another trip!
-We like it all - national parks, wineries, restaurant/bars, activities. You name, we'll try it!

Thank you! We haven't traveled much and appreciate the help.

janisj Feb 11th, 2016 07:51 PM

I don't have time for a long response right now -- will come back later. But just to clarify - your title and post only mention California . . . but you have also tagged the thread for Arizona, New Mexico and Oregon. Is your plan to visit only Northern CA? (I'm assuming yes)

MichelleY Feb 12th, 2016 08:44 AM

I am confused also. Do you want to spend the whole time in Napa/Sonoma and do day tips from there? A few days wine tasting is plenty.

maura81530 Feb 12th, 2016 10:22 AM

Our plan would be to fly into SFO, travel to Napa/Sonoma, and visit there for a few days (2-3 days seems like enough in that area, but I could be mistaken) and then make our way somewhere else. We'd love to drive to surrounding areas to take in some other sights. It doesn't have to be in the Napa/Sonoma area or in CA for that matter. We're open to ideas and could fly out of a different airport at the end of our 7-10 day trip if need be.

I'd welcome others' expertise - maybe it makes more sense for us to just stay in CA for this trip?

Sorry for the confusion. Thanks again for the help/suggestions!

maura81530 Feb 12th, 2016 10:24 AM

Yes, a few days in Napa and then day trips from there. What would you recommend in Napa and then as far as day trips go? Thanks!

tomfuller Feb 12th, 2016 11:31 AM

It depends a bit om the weather but would you like to head to Yosemite from Napa? If you can't get lodging inside the park, El Portal would work for you.
Leaving Yosemite, head for the coast around Big Sur and Monterey.
You may find it easier if not cheaper to fly to Oakland, San Jose or Sacramento instead of SFO.
If your trip was later (mid May onward) I would suggest coming to Oregon to see Crater Lake.