Notices

Trip to Mesa Verda

Jan 13th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Trip to Mesa Verda

We will be visiting Mesa Verda in early May. There will be four of us and two are over 70 years of age. Three questions: Why stay in Durango when Cortez is closer? (2) Since steep walking and climbing will be out of the question, how much of the park is accessible for the impaired? With this in mind (3) how much time should I to give to this leg of the trip. We are flying into Albuquerque.
Jan 13th, 2005, 01:27 PM

1) Because there are more choices in Durango. I think there is a Super 8 and one or two mom and pop places in Cortez. There is also much more opportunity for dining in Durango, if that is important to you.

You can also stay at the Far View Lodge inside Mesa Verde. Depending upon what you prefer for lodging, you might like that better - I definitely do.

2)Some of the park is accessible. There is a small museum (and a mini-museum in the visitor center) and one set of self-guided ruins that I know are handicap accessible. You can drive through the park and see a number of ruins from the opposite rim. Check the NPS website for more specific info on what is and is not handicap accessible.

3) If you can't do steep walking and climbing, you could probably do pretty much everything within the park in a day (not including drive time).
Jan 13th, 2005, 02:02 PM

There are alot of hotel/motel choices in Cortez. Durango is nice too but Cortez is closer to the entrance. FYI that once you get in the entrance to MV, it is still a 40 minute drive to the visitor center. Re your accessibility issues, refer to nps.gov & go directly to MV portion of that site.
Jan 13th, 2005, 05:12 PM

I'd second the suggestion of Far View Lodge in the park. We always try to stay right in a park if at all possible. And we really enjoyed the peace and quiet at Far View Lodge. We also really enjoyed our dinner at the restaurant there (can't remember the name). The food was excellent, very nice atmosphere and the prices were quite reasonable.

Search this Thread