Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

DC with kids over 4th of July, Are we crazy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our first trip with our daughters (11 & 14) to the east coast. Will be in DC from 6/29 - 7/5. Thinking of staying at the Omni Shoreham because of outdoor pool. Is this an OK hotel. We will not have a car. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. How early do we need to stake out a spot for fireworks viewing, and what locations are good.

Thanks for your help.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 12:15 PM

I stayed at the Omni Shoreham in October and it was just fine. Lovely grounds walking distance to the zoo and Metro, lots of interesting restaurants on Connecticut Ave, near the Metro stop.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Yes, you're crazy to do the 4th in DC with kids, but you'll have plenty of copany in that regard . The Omni Shoreham is well removed from the Mall and Smithsonian, etc, but as noted is well located for the zoo and near a metro stop.

To stake out a sport for the fireworks, some people arrive as early as 10:00 am. Anything after 4:00 and you're pretty much consigned to something pretty lousy.

Kids' favorites tend to be the Air & Space museum (as will be evident from the number of them there) and the Spy Museum. Note that the latter is not part of the Smithsonian, and so has an admission fee.
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Years ago, we parked X the river in the parking lot W of the airport. It was fairly uncongested 'tho noisy, but the view was spectacular.
M
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:19 PM

Getting there by 4 is absurd. The fireworks are up in the air, for heaven's sake and no building in DC is higher then 12 floors.

i've gone as late as 7 or 8 and had no problems.

Old Jan 4th, 2005, 04:31 PM

Mike T is right about the timing. We usually get there 6-7 and have no problem. Just bring a book for you and a frizbee or ball for the kids.

There are crowd hassles getting about, but it's still great fun if the weather's nice.

Definitely hit the Smithsonian's Folklife festival on the Mall.

Actually, I know of at least one building that's 14 floors. (It's the height, not the number of floors).
Old Jan 4th, 2005, 09:04 PM

Yes, you are crazy, and so am I. I was in DC twice, both times in July. It was hot, very humid, and so miserable. We dreaded each time we had to walk outdoors going from one Smithsonian museum to the next. I hope you will have cooler weather. Dealing with the crowds is nothing compared to the heat and humidity!

Old Jan 5th, 2005, 05:59 AM

NO you're not crazy. July 4 is a fabulous time to be in the Nation's capital. We often go down to the Mall as late as 6:30 or 7 and squeeze in somewhere (definitely possible). We like being on the west slope of the Washington Monument grounds for viewing the fireworks.

Omni Shoreham sounds like a fine choice for you with the pool for the kids. Walking distance to the zoo and Metro.
Plenty of restaurant options around there too. Sure it's likely to be hot and humid, but you'll have a great time!
The crowds are always nice and manageable. Metro usually does a good job of getting everyone home - especially if you're staying in town. And - if Metro is crowded initially, you can just walk a bit between Mall and your hotel, stopping to have a drink, etc. while crowds thin.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:08 AM

I live in nearby Arlington and we go to the fireworks display every year. As long as you are there prior to 9PM (which is when they usually start) you'll find SOMEWHERE to sit but be aware it will be jammed..but doable (a lot of people spend HOURS there prior to the actual event doing BBQ, Frisbee, etc.).

The biggest problem will be getting back to the Shoreham on the Metro (and the Metro is really one of the best ways to get TO the fireworks) which will probably be mobbed with people trying to get home. But if you chill mentally and are patient this is easily doable and will hopefully be memorable for all of you.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 06:45 AM

We had no problems on the metro the time that we went. We headed for the metro during the finale. But if that's not doable, not to worry. The metro was very effecient. Whatever you do, don't drive. Yek.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 07:37 AM

I don't think kids mind the heat and humidity as much as we do. As others have pointed out the museums are huge and well air conditioned. YOu might want to save a lot of walking around for before noon, take a lunch and pool break and then go out again later in the day once things have cooled down a bit. The girls will probably love the shops in Georgetown and you can stroll beneath the trees along the canal. Take plenty of water and stop for ice cream breaks and everyone will be fine. I wouldn't worry so much about going to the Mall super early on the 4th. It will be jam packed and you can see the fire works from many other locations so just get somewhere that has a good vantage point when it is dark and you'll be all set. The trick is waiting out the crowds who will be trying to get on the metro to get home afterwards! Your girls might also like the shopping mall at Pentagon City - an easy metro ride away.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your helpfull information. We will be happy just to e there and see what we can see. Probably won't try to stake out a viewing spot early in the day, use it to see some things we want to see. Sounds like the Shoreham will be fine for us.

Yes the girls and mom will enjoy some shopping stops along the way. After DC we are planning to take Amtrack up to New York for a few more days of seeing the sights. Hope the girls do not become restless. They are kind of beach girls. Oh well some culture won't hurt them!

Thanks again for your helpfull responses.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Go to the Mall on Wed, Thur and/or Fri 6/29,6/30, 7/1). After that, the Mall and Smithsonian museums (lines, lines, lines) will be wall-to-wall people. Be sure to plan a day at the Folklife Festival.

http://www.folklife.si.edu/festival/2005/

For 7/2-7/5 go to the Zoo, Arlington cemetary, Capitol, WH, LOC, Supreme Ct., Georgetown, etc. (i.e. - anyplace BUT the Mall). By all means head down on the 4th after dinner and catch the fireworks - just don't be in a hurry to get back to your hotel afterword.

Omni Shoreham is close to both Adams Morgan- definately plan on walking to one of these neighborhoods for dinners.

Omni Shoreham is just fine if having a pool is a big concern. If you're not planning to swim, there are better options.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 09:51 AM

My DD enjoyed the shopping in Georgetown. We checked out the Pentagon City mall online and it seemed to have all the same stores as our mall here at home. There's some interesting shopping at Union Station, too.

My favorite museum shop is the world is at the National Building Museum, an underappreciated wonder not far from Union Station. If you go, be sure to take the guided tour.

Amtrak is a good choice, since the girls go half-price, but if you're up for adventure, the Chinatown bus is much cheaper.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Wow, so much help. I think I would have a rebellion on my hands if no pool was available, especially this leg of the trip. I assume a pool will be completely out of the question in NYC.

I don't know if I am up for that much adventure on a bus, will probably stick to the train. We have never been to New York. We are traveling from Ca.

Thank you for the intinerary suggestion for DC the timeframe we are there, that was very helpfull.
Old Jan 5th, 2005, 11:44 AM

Re. NYC:

There are a few hotels w/ pool (but the overwheming majority of hotels do not have a pool).

Don't miss walking the Brooklyn Bridge.

Get Broadway theater tickets NOW if you plan to go to any of the hot shows(really).

Take the (free) Staten Island ferry as opposed to a trip TO the Statue of Liberty.

Get advance tickets to the Empire State Bldg.

I always stay at the Broadway Inn B&B. Recommended (unless you're looking for a luxury property). http://www.broadwayinn.com/

Do a seperate NYC post for additional ideas and suggestions.
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 11:26 AM

deby,
I lived in DC, Arlington, VA, and Rockville, MD 1967 - 1975.
The weather is mostly awful and I would rather be hot than cold, but the summer humidity is like SE Asia.
M
Old Jan 6th, 2005, 12:33 PM

I have been to DC a few times in July, but only once did i go to the 4th fireworks. As everbody has said it can be very hot & humid, & it will be crowded. Go with the right frame of mind - that you will enjoy it. If you all go with the thought in mind that the crowds & humdity will not bother you & you are going to enjoy it, you will enjoy it, otherwise you just may be crabbing at each other all night. I really enjoyed the time I went. Being part of the crowd, the fireworks, the atmosphere, it all was part of the entertainment.
Old Jan 11th, 2005, 12:44 PM

If you're not opposed to watching the fireworks from across the river, I suggest staying in Roslyn and watching from the Iwo Jima memorial. You can walk to it from your hotel, and you don't have to push through a zillion people to get on Metro afterwards (that's the worst part of spending the 4th in DC, IMHO).
Old Jan 13th, 2005, 03:38 PM

Or it can be the best part ...

We moved to the area in late spring years ago before our son started kindergarten. At the last moment on July 4 we decided to head down for the fireworks and found a spot near the Wash. Monument. I was walking through the crowd of 600,000 or so and just happened to bump into a relative of my son's best (and at that times basically only) friend.

Bottom line: Had a great time and we let the kids run around the mall as the crowds thinned. Metro struggles at time, but it usually does an amazing job clearing out the crowds.