Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Trip to Maine via Boston (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/trip-to-maine-via-boston-1643945/)

tshin926 Jan 2nd, 2018 12:58 PM

Trip to Maine via Boston

My friend and I are planning a trip to fly into Boston and then drive up the coast into Maine. We are looking to do this in July of 2018. We need some insider tips on places to see, stay, eat and anything else that would enhance our trip. Please and thank you!!!!

rizzo0904 Jan 2nd, 2018 03:05 PM

The coast of Maine is huge. What do you like to do? Hiking? Shopping? City or rural?

You'll want to book soon as places will fill up quickly.

tomfuller Jan 2nd, 2018 04:45 PM

Why not fly to Portland (or other Maine destination) and rent a car to see much of the coast? Take the train back to Boston after returning the car.
Try to check out the L.L. Bean store (24 hr.) in Freeport ME.

dfrostnh Jan 3rd, 2018 03:44 AM

Do a search for Maine posts. I tend to repeat a lot of information. If you want sandy beaches and expensive restaurants, you will find them south of Portland. Rt 1 in that area has too much traffic. But, I love Portland and last year we stayed at a very quiet air B&B adjacent to the Rachel Carson wildlife refuge in Scarborough. I love 4th of July parades in Maine if you are coming around that time. One of the biggest parades is Bath's Heritage Days. But if you want a parade, no marching bands but plenty of poking fun at politicians, you can do that. I think last year our favorite marching group were the Fake Newds. You have to get there early to set up your lawn chair. Town of about 800 but about 5000 come for the parade.

Unfortunately, our first lobster shack adventure to Waterman's Beach is no longer possible since the family decided to close so they could enjoy summers in Maine again. There are other lobster shacks. Google best lobster rolls in Maine and you'll get a good list. Maine can be a day trip for us but we usually spend a week someplace on the mid-coast every summer. The goal is to eat as much lobster as possible and have fried clams when we get tired of lobster.

Get out on the water someplace. It's easy in Portland since there are a lot of choices to take a boat that goes around Casco Bay. We liked the mailboat cruise but there is not a lot of narration. If you want to explore people's backyards without getting arrested, look for a house and garden tour. Stop in Portsmouth NH on your way up. Buy some bag chairs so you can sit and enjoy the view and you'll have plenty of choices for locations. 2 years ago we got take-out lobster rolls near Maine Coastal Gardens and went back to a small island picnic area we had found. Somewhere near Boothbay. Lighthouses usually have some great views and I don't think anything tops the view from the top of Mt. Battie in Camden.

Get a list of farmers markets. Even if you don't have cooking facilities you can buy some fresh strawberries and locally made yogurt or maybe some cookies and pastries for snacks. Or maybe some cheese. And if you like wine, visit some wineries. Unfortunately, we don't care for beer but there are plenty of breweries around and in some places like Portsmouth you can do a van tour to breweries so you can drink and don't have to drive.

I usually check out local newspapers' websites for some interesting things to do. That's how I found a special history cruise around Deer Isle. I think it was only a once a year event. History expert to narrate about history of the area. Boat captain to tell us about some modern things.

We're a fan of church public suppers. Well, sometimes the local Rotary sponsors them. We attend local ones. One of the best we attended was a lobster benefit for a local volunteer fire department. We always hope for some good homemade pie for dessert. My favorite is rhubarb.

But rizzo asked some good questions. It's a very long coastline with very big differences depending on how far north you go.