Trip to Long Beach/LA area-help!

Jun 1st, 2003, 04:58 PM
Original Poster

Trip to Long Beach/LA area-help!

Planning to spend 6 days (incl labor day weekend) visiting friends who live near Long Beach University. I want to stay in a hotel that is within a 15 min. drive of their home but maybe closer to a nice local beach.
I also plan to visit the Getty and Catalina Island. I assume I need a car--how bad is driving and is it as congested as I hear?
May also want to go to the Huntington Library/Gardens. I am interested in gardens, beaches, the arts. All suggestions welcomed! Thanks.
Jun 1st, 2003, 06:36 PM

The Ayers Hotel in Seal Beach is within 15 minutes of LBU. Driving by, it looked like Seal Beach actually has a nice beach. The hotel is 10 min max from the beach, and is located right off the 405 and 22, not far from the south end of I605.

You'd need a car for the Getty and a boat for the island and the traffic is always busy on the freeways, but such is life.
Jun 1st, 2003, 06:38 PM

Here's a linkm to the place. The decor is not my style, but the it is quiet and comfortable.
http://www.ayreshotel.com/sealbeach.htm
Jun 1st, 2003, 07:33 PM

The Huntington Museum is a fantastic place to visit. Consider making reservations for tea or have lunch (no reservations needed) in the courtyard. While in that area, consider the Norton Simon Museum as well. I actually enjoy the collection there more than at the Huntington. Both of these can easily be done in a day. If you don't feel like tea, you could have lunch in Pasadena between places.
Jun 1st, 2003, 08:38 PM

Your friends will probably take you there, but be sure to visit the Belmont Shore and Naples neighborhood at the south end of LB. My vote for most desirable place to live in greater LA, but nobody asked for votes.

Just south of Seal Beach is Huntington Beach. There are a couple of very deluxe places on the beach - a new gorgeous Hyatt and a Hilton, both probably around 15-20 min. from LBSU. Surf City USA, baby.
Jun 1st, 2003, 10:47 PM
DB

Try the Hyatt Regency Long Beach:
http://longbeach.hyatt.com/property/index.jhtml

if you want something cheaper/further try the Oceanview in H.B.:
http://www.oceanviewmotel-hb.com/frame_index.html
Jun 1st, 2003, 11:00 PM

If you make the trip to the Huntington Library and Gardens, another wonderful garden quite close by is Descanso Gardens in La Canada. It is just as lovely as Huntington Gardens, but different. Something to keep in mind. And I agree, if you like art, the Norton Simon in Pasadena is a must if you are in the area. Many think it the best art collection in all of LA.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 08:53 AM

I recall a little Radisson hotel just off of PCH in Seal Beach, not too far from Los Altos (the Long Beach neighborhood where Cal State Univ Long Beach is located-- and that's its true name!). Motel-level accommodations, but clean and not far at all from the beach. There are some cute restaurants on Seal Beach's Main Street (including one I hope is still open called Walt's Wharf-- great seafood!!). Seal Beach's actual beach is quite nice.

You will need a car. Congestion depends on the time of day. The Getty will be a straight shot up the 405; on weekends, your only certain congestion will be north of LAX up through Culver City, then Sepulveda immediately at the Getty Center parking entrance. Remember that parking reservations are "required". See their website: www.getty.edu.

Catalina Island, of course, is NOT a drive. Cataline Express runs boats from their terminal right next to the Queen Mary (also worth a visit). That's a ncie day trip.

Huntington Library is truly lovely, but I think you'll also be dazzled by the Getty's gardens.

Jun 2nd, 2003, 04:37 PM

Found out the Radisson in Seal Beach is now called the Pacific Inn. I would recommend it for cheap lodging.
Jun 2nd, 2003, 08:41 PM

If you're interested in the arts, don't ignore LACMA (in the Miracle Mile area) and MOCA which are better museums than the Getty (although without the view).

When in Pasadena I love the tour of the Gamble House, which is an architecture tour of one of the original Green and Green craftsman style houses.
Jun 3rd, 2003, 10:34 AM

Try the brand new Hyatt in Huntington Beach. It's just across PCH from the beach.