Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Trip to Kauai - suggestions needed of favorite things to do

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Kat

This is actually our second time to the island, but the last was our honeymoon and we didn't really know where to go or what to do. Does anyone have some suggestions of what their favorite hikes or site to see, or even places to eat are. We've been reading all of the posts here, but just wanted the favorite "must do" while i'm on the island type things. Thanks!!!

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Don

Kat
One of my favorite places on Kauai is snorkeling at Tunnels on the Northshore.
Have fun.

Old Jun 8th, 2002, 12:48 PM
carol

We absolutely love Kauai - been there 3 times and plan to go again next summer. We rent a house on north shore that's right on the prettiest...best snorkeling beach on the island. We had a great time taking a 4-wheeler excursion that lasts 1/2 a day - they take you thru sugar plantations...to the river...ocean overlook - it was a blast! If you didn't do the helicopter ride...that's a must. A fishing trip with McReynolds will almost guarantee your bringing in some awesome fish...they fillet it for you and you can grill it yourself. Dinner at Zelos in Haena is wonderful as is dinner at sunset at Bali Hai - Princeville Resort. Snorkeling on the north shore at Tunnels Beach is what we spend most of our time doing. Hike the trail at Kee Beach offers some spectacular views. Hamburger at Ono on NE shore is unforgettable...you eat outside on picnic tables with roosters and chickens parading thru the area. Have a wonderful trip - i'm jealous!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Ken

Here's my favorite to do's on Kauai:
1. See the Na Pali Coast, either by boat or by helicopter - by air the views are spectacular, but the ride is shorter than by boat - which also stops and lets you do some snorkeling. Another way to see it is a hike along the Kalalau Trail, though long and sometimes strenuous, it's a fabulous day trip.
2. See the Kalalau Valley from the view above the canyon, and then take the Pihea Trail at the end of the road which goes along the valley rim - breathtaking views!
3. Visit / swim in Queen's Bath, a beautiful and fun lava rock tide pool just below the Princeville area (I hear it may be closed now).
4. Take a jeep ride up the back roads beyond Keahua Arboretum (west of Wailua) into the tropical jungle areas near Waialeale.
5. Visit Wailua Falls and Kipu Falls - the second is much less visited, but has a fun rope to swing into the pool below the falls.
6. If you like gardens, arrange a Monday morning tour of the McBryde NTBG Gardens in Lawai - Hundreds of acres of tropical beauty shared by only a few people.
7. Take a drive up the beautiful Hanalei Valley a little way.
8. Great beaches: Polihale, Poipu, Anini, Pali Ke Kua, Hanalei Bay, Tunnels, Ke'e - sunset at Ke'e can be great!
There's so much more that's worthwhile -check it out in the Ultimate Kauai Guidebook - well worth it! If you like pizza, be sure to get some at the Brick Oven in Kalaheo - the best I've had! Above all, have fun!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 11:04 AM
sn

I second the Queen's Bath--worth the hike for the best swimming hole in the U.S!

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:13 PM
WildBill

1. Paragliding is an absolute must. Small company does it out of, I think, the Waimea area and it is absolutely awesome. The website is something like bird(s)ofparadise.com. It's kind of pricey, was $160 p/p about a year and a half ago, but is completely worth it as you get views you can't get anywhere else. I was over helicopters several times. Can't recommend it enough.
2. Lunch or drinks at Princeville Resort (owned by Sheraton) Kind of pricey but great view and killer drinks;
3. Roy's in Poipu, great menu and meals;
4. Barking Sands beach;
5. Captain Zodiac tours, if they are still running them, or any other Zodiac (hard bottom rubber raft tour) along the coast;
6. Beach at Sheraton for convenience to quick restaurants, bars and shopping.
7. Anywhere else, because everything in Kauai is awesome.

Old Jun 10th, 2002, 01:19 PM
rumormonger

Haven't heard any updated information, but it was recently mentioned on both this forum and the AOL boards that the public access to Queen's Bath has been blocked off. some idiot drowned so the county overreacted.

update anyone?

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Marsha

We just returned from Kauai. Our favorite day was spent hiking the Kalalau Trail and then swimming and snorkeling at Ke'e Beach. We also enjoyed the day we spent at Gillian's Beach (end of Poipu Road) on the South Shore. Although we did not eat at any upscale restaurants (we had a 5 year old and a 10 year old with us), we did indulge in a Dole Whip at Zack's at the mall in Kapa'a.

Old Jun 15th, 2002, 06:41 PM
p.

I posted elsewhere but just to align with this thread, Queen's Beach was reopened this week according to the Honolulu newspaper's website.
p.