Trip to Inn at Palmetto Bluff, SC

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2013, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just recently spent a few days in Savannah, followed by a trip to Palmetto Bluff. I always love to combine city sightseeing trips with relaxing countryside getaways - I feel like this combination results in a great well-rounded vacation. The Inn at Palmetto Bluff, just 40 minutes away across the border in Bluffton, SC, is a perfect compliment.

Upon arrival the gate to the community, the guard gave me a 6-minute CD, which was perfectly choreographed for the 6-minute ride I had to the Inn. The narrator, who has been the groundskeeper on the bluff for 25 years, spoke of the history and of the importance of conservation on the huge piece of property (which is bigger than Manhattan!). Once arriving, I realized that the groundskeeper was right - the Bluff is a special place. Spending time there is truly like stepping back in time, but with electricity, luxury, and great food!

The main River House is beautifully located right on the peaceful May River. It is where guests check-in, and has a wine cellar where special dinners and events can be arranged, as well as a formal restaurant, where guests can eat at dinnertime (there are also several other more casual restaurants throughout the property). There are no traditional hotel rooms in this main house - their lead-in "rooms" are actually deluxe one-bedroom cottages!

Events/Activities

Palmetto Bluff doesn't seem to have a shortage of events in the off-season. Even on the bitterly cold day I was there, they were preparing for a large 35 wedding that was going to fill the resort for the weekend. They also have the annual Music to Mouth Festival in November, which pairs great foods with live music.

The Inn is not shy about being family friendly. They have Kids Camp from Mid-March to Halloween, and have a shallow-water splash pool just for the littlest ones. They also can arrange babysitters, and have canoes, bikes, kayaks, fishing, boat trips, bocce, tennis, croquet (and a croquet pro!!)...the list goes on and on.

Cottages

We moved on to a golf cart, where we explored the quaint cottages. Most cottages are actually a part of a duplex, but you would never know it. Concrete walls divide everything, even the screened-in porches, so you can't even hear when the neighbors are sitting on their porch. Even the lowest level cottages are absolutely pristine, with ample room, California King beds, and have steam showers with rainforest showerheads in the large bathrooms. The Inn recently installed the iPad in-room feature, and will have an app to allow room service orders and concierge reservations shortly. The 50 Cottages are either forest view, lagoon view, or river view. There are also a few cottage suites, which have a separate living area.

In addition to the cottages, the Inn has 2-4BR Village homes to accommodate larger groups. All guests still have access to all Inn facilities, and will receive housekeeping and even a chef to cater, if desired. I saw three different homes, and each was very different in terms of decor and layout. To prevent staying at a home that does not match your tastes, there are virtual tours of all homes on the internet, and Bethany said she would be great to help match clients with the perfect home for them.

Transportation

As you may have figured out from above, generally all transportation is done with golf carts and bikes around the Inn. They do have a fleet of Mercedes that you can take to explore the area, and as a Virtuoso amenity they also offer departure airport transportation - meaning you'd only need to pay for a one-way transfer from the Savannah?airport to the Inn. Bikes come with the reservation of a cottage or home (one per person), and while golf carts aren't included, you can rent them.

Spa

A stay at the Inn would not be complete without a visit to the fantastic spa. Recently named one of the top spas in the US by Conde Nast, it was top notch. The aroma itself was breathtaking, and they have a very nice men's and women's locker rooms, which lead into separate steam rooms and hot tubs. It is the perfect way to spend an afternoon! They are very focused on using local herbs and plants and incorporating them into their treatments.

The Inn really does have it all, and is perfect for any vacation - a golfing weekend, a family summer vacation, an anniversary retreat, or a girlfriend getaway. Once again, this is another property that combines comfort, laid-back style, and luxury - my top three must-have's when I travel!
Old Mar 11th, 2013, 06:56 PM

Louisa: thanks for this report. We were at Inn at Palmetto Bluff in February, while visiting a friend in Bluffton.

What a spectacular place it is! I just wish it were closer to home for us.

It is a beautifully laid-out and built-out proprerty, on the site of an old estate. All the land is in conservancy, and it's like a reconstructed village. Just delightful. Also very good food at the little restaurant near thepost office.

You described it so well. It is a gem of a place, all done in perfect taste (IMHO)
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 03:51 AM

Thank you so much for the great report. This is a property which my husband and I have been considering for a special trip. You sealed the deal! One concern for my husband is that he likes to dress casually on holiday. Will that be a problem?
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your kind words!

Cmcfong - it is very casual (there is one more formal restaurant, but two other casual options). Not stuffy one bit!If you'd like, I can also add Virtuoso amenities for you (upgrade if available at check-in, breakfast daily, one-way transfer back to the airport). Just let me know and I'll send you my email.
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 06:39 AM

Louisag,are you connected with the resort?
Old Mar 12th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Cmcfong - no, but am a Virtuoso travel advisor.
Old Mar 24th, 2014, 10:23 AM

In looking through coastal SC threads, I found this one.

I, too, was very impressed by my stay at the Inn at Palmetto Bluff last December. So impressed that I hope to return for two days next month.

Palmetto Bluff has expansion plans in the works. How this will affect the character of the place remains to be seen.

Meanwhile, I would like to ask those more familiar with the area: Are there any residential communities (not necessarily with golf; can be anywhere along the coast of NC, SC, Ga) that are close in feeling and architectural taste level to PB? Hopefully these would have heated swimming pools suitable for laps, as does PB.

I've just read about Spring Island, and friends have mentioned Bald Head Island..any comments on these?

Is there anyplace near, but not on, the coast that would offer a similar feeling. Again, golf not necessary.
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 07:39 PM

????