Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Trip to Cumberland Island Georgia (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/trip-to-cumberland-island-georgia-673253/)

ilovetulips Jan 24th, 2007 06:06 AM

Trip to Cumberland Island Georgia

I found this little island when doing some research on Savannah and Charleston. My mother and her husband are celebrating a 10 year anniversary this year and she was looking at Charleston. I don't know anything about this island other than the fact that JFK Jr. was married here and it looks very pretty. Does anyone know anything about it? Since it is only accessible by boat, what do people do with their rental cars? Not sure if this is an area worth pursuing or not.

ilovetulips Jan 24th, 2007 06:34 AM

ttt

padams421 Jan 24th, 2007 06:49 AM

Greyfield Inn is the only hotel on Cumberland. There is nothing else there but nature. It's a wonderful quiet retreat for nature lovers.

LauraATL Jan 24th, 2007 07:40 AM

Also you can camp at Cumberland with a permit from the National Park Service. Greyfield Inn is extremely expensive- $350-600.00 per night, including all meals. Cumberland is reached by a ferry, no cars are allowed on the island.

aileen679 Jan 24th, 2007 07:57 AM

Unless your mother is into hiking around the trails or just sitting on the porch and in the lounge.....I think she would probably enjoy Charleston a great deal more.

For more information about rooms, rates, etc....do a google search for Cumberland Island.

There is a big parking area nest to the ferry landing. There is no need for cars on the Island.

ilovetulips Jan 24th, 2007 12:50 PM

Thanks everyone.I think my mom would enjoy the solitude but her husband likes to stay busy. Since we live in Texas, they would be flying so I am not sure how cost effective it is to get from the airport to the ferry. It seems that they would either rent a car that they wouldn't be using or they would have to hire a driver. I guess it is something to think about.

aileen679 Jan 24th, 2007 01:45 PM

They would be flying into Jacksonville, FL. That's going to be over a one hour drive. I suspect hiring a driver to take them and then come back a pick them up could get a little pricey. However, if they can afford the room at the Inn, then the cost of a car would be a small thing.

If they decide to go to the Island, get the reservation in early.

It's a wonderful place to go. But it is QUIET with little to do but walk around, eat and drink, and sit.

starrsville Jan 24th, 2007 01:59 PM

The ferry to Cumberland for day trippers is at St. Mary's Ga. You can go over for just the day or to camp (primitive camping).

The only place to stay overnight (other than camping) is the Greyfield Inn. Gorgeous. Wonderful. $$$ - but the price is all-inclusive. You are limited to 1 suitcase per person and they shuttle you from the Amelia Island/ Fernandina FL area.

It is a gorgeous, almost "wild" island. Cumberland Island ponies. Miles of sand. Natural, barrier island at its best.

starrsville Jan 24th, 2007 02:13 PM

Transportation if you are staying at the Inn -

http://www.greyfieldinn.com/maps.html

Transportation for day trippers or campers from St. Mary's GA -
http://www.nps.gov/cuis/reservations.htm
(the chapel were JFK Jr. married is at the bottom of that webpage)

Postal Jan 24th, 2007 05:15 PM

It's one of the most beautiful, natural places I've ever been. Twenty foot dunes, wild horses, deer, falling down castle, amazing beach (especially for skinny dipping since there's no one there!) - but you have to be willing to walk to all this unless you're staying at the Greyfield Inn. Which would take the fun away for me.

kswl Jan 24th, 2007 05:29 PM

If you're staying at Greyfield you can hire their resident naturalist to take you around the island in a jeep. It's loads of fun and the naturalist who was there when we visited was wonderfully informative.

There are houses you can rent on Cumberland, but it doesn't sound as though your mom and her husband are looking for that kind of experience.

I don't know when you're planning the vacation, but the Inn doesn't have air conditioning. It's lovely in the spring and fall . . . absolute murder in the summer. Ladies dress for dinner.

ilovetulips Jan 25th, 2007 08:04 AM

kswl, they are planning their trip in early June. I assume it will be pretty warm at that time. We all live in Texas and my mom and her husband have a high heat tolerance. ( I on the other hand do not.) I think at this point she is partial to Charleston. It just sounds like a bit of a challenge getting to the island. Reason being because they would fly into Jacksonville have to rent a car and then get to St. Mary's (?) to get the ferry to the island. I think for them it would feel like a hassle. Thanks though for all of the input.

starrsville Jan 25th, 2007 05:44 PM

If they are staying at Greyfield, then they get the ferry to the island at Fernandina/ Amelia Island FL. So, yes, they fly into Jax.

If they are just going for a day trip, they fly into St. Mary's. They could then fly into Savannah, go to Cumberland for the day and then on to Charleston.

robizzo Jan 27th, 2007 04:54 PM

Another alternative is to stay in St. Mary's and go over to Cumberland for the day. Spencer House B&B is a great place to stay and they will pack a picnic lunch for you. The ferry departs at 9:00 and 11:30. Half a day for an older person is sufficient.

liasun71 Jan 27th, 2007 06:10 PM

Charleston is a fabulous little city.
She cant go wrong. Been there numerous times and love it more and more each visit.
search for go travel charleston trip report from this site...its great.
IMOP the french quarter inn is lovely if you have some $$$ to spend if not...and really very nice as well.
the holiday inn historic district.
believe it or not its very very nice.
but if they want something really romantic and special i am not certain either of those fall into that category..
also have stayed at planters inn and that is very very nice as well.

cmcfong Jan 28th, 2007 04:30 AM

topping

liasun71 Jan 28th, 2007 05:00 AM

If CHS is their choice i wanted to give you a heads up that unless they plan on doing some excursions out to Isle of Palms or elsewhere like Kiawah which you cant get to see very much unless you are staying there; they wont need a car in cHS. main source of transportation are these bicycle rickshaws that take you around the city and are manned by mostly college students. if they are planning to go to chs in june it will be spoleto fesitval and places book up early.
one thing not to miss is this trip out to the morris island lighthouse/island. tell them to s/w their concierge about getting out there.. its very pretty and relaxing and nice mix for them then of city and beach for a day...
there are not any facilities though out there so, they need to bring h20 food etc.
there are tons of dolphins on the way out there; which is by small fishing boat. its nice and very memorable in my opinion fun for shelling and relaxing...