Mesa Grill, NYC

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 10:08 AM
Tammy

Mesa Grill, NYC

I'm looking for an opinion from someone who's been there recently.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 03:20 AM

to top

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 05:22 AM
steve

I usually go 2-3 times a year, although I haven't been there in months. The food is very good. The wine list and desserts are also great. The worst aspect is the noise.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 05:54 AM
Tony

I was there in October.

The food quality and presentation was very, very good.

Decor and noise level...not so good.

Its a good place to go to dinner with a group of friends.

As a date spot...I'd choose another restaurant.

-Tony

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 10:53 AM
Tammy

Thank you Steve and Tony. I've read comments about the service being rushed. Did either of you experience that?

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 12:10 PM
steve

no, i don't recall it ever being rushed. nevertheless whenever i'm eating in a upscale restaurant and that happens i always tell the waiter to slow things down and that invariably takes care of the problem.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 12:54 PM
michelle/nyc

I live in NYC and Mesa has always been one of my favorites... his other restaurant, Bolo is also very good!! Mesa is also a great place for brunch. if you like a southwest flare, you'll enjoy it. there are so many great restaurants, if you give me an idea of cuisine and price range... and even area of the city you want... I can come up with some great suggestions! do you want to head downtown to Soho or the Village at all?

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 02:41 PM
Tammy

Hi Michelle, Thank you for your help. Do you have any comments about Layla, Bambou, Picolo Angelo or Blue Ribbon? Our price range is moderate to expensive. We'll go any where in Manhatten. Last year we went to Aureole. It was good but I think over priced. Do you have any recommendations for a nice bar for before dinner. I was thinking about checking out the lounge at the Tribeca Grand Hotel.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Tammy

Michele, do you like Bolo better than Mesa Grill. I was just looking at their menu on line. Which restaurant has a bigger dining room. I like a place with a high ceiling, like Gotham Bar and Grill.

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 05:28 PM
michelle/nyc

Bolo is a smaller room, just a few blocks from Mesa (which has higher ceilings)on 22nd Street... more spanish type influences. do you like ethnic foods? Patria is also in that neighborhood, latin american, delicious!! or what about Grammercy Tavern (best peppered seared tuna... and chocolate flourless cake ever). Or Chicama, new attached to ABC Carpet. I've only mentioned some of my upscale favorites. if money isn't an object, my favorite restaurant is Jean Georges, at Columbus Circle and Central Park. I always enjoy giving restaurant suggestions. let me know if you need brunch ideas or anything else. like Asian fusion? one of my favorite things to do when planning a trip is to find great restaurants... enjoy, and let me know if you need anything else.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 03:33 AM
Tammy

Michelle, I've been to Patria and loved it. I read recently the chef of Patria left to open Chicama and Pipa(?) at ABC. I'm planning on visiting ABC this trip and was considering lunch at Pipa. Do you have any comments on the restaurants I mentioned in my second to last post on 3/19 at 6:41?

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 10:45 AM
Tom

Tammy,
Piccolo Angolo is a small moderately priced italian restaurant in the west village. It gets very crowded with locals, the tables are practically on top of each other and there is almost always a wait for a table. It is somewhat noisy and the effusive owner will read out the specials so fast in such a heavy accent that you wont understand a word. (Dont worry the waiter will gladly repeat them for you) But the food at this family run restaurant is really great. If you are looking for a slow paced or more elegant meal, I would suggest someplace else. But if youre looking for a good meal at a moderate price, I would recommend it.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 12:08 PM
shannon

Michelle/nyc,

What about Union Pacific? Know anything about that place? Have only heard one thing, but it was positive.