Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Trip Suggestions for 5 Ladies (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/trip-suggestions-for-5-ladies-304543/)

golden Apr 7th, 2003 10:06 AM

Trip Suggestions for 5 Ladies

Every other year, myself and 4 of my good friends get away for a 4-5 day vacation (over a weekend). We historically go sometime in May and this next time we are looking to do a trip that is a little more relaxing. Last trip was to NYC and it seemed like we covered every inch of Manhattan. I would love to hear some suggestions from seasoned travelers out there of great places to go for 4-5 days.

melh Apr 7th, 2003 10:15 AM

What a neat thing to do! Where are you from and where have you already been? Would you rather fly or do you enjoy road trips?

GoTravel Apr 7th, 2003 10:19 AM

Where are you coming from? Some of the good trips I've had with my girlfriends have been South Beach, Boston, NYC, Naples, New Orleans and Chicago.

orangetravelcat Apr 7th, 2003 10:31 AM

How about Sedona, AZ...you could check out the Enchantment Resort. For relaxation, you could relax poolside and get spa treatments. When you're ready to leave the resort, you could do a jeep tour into the red rocks.

Wanda_ Apr 7th, 2003 11:14 AM

I'm part of a group that also travels together. We took a cruise last spring and loved it so much we've already booked another one. You can relax as much as you like. The service is out of this world and everything is included. It's a great value, and great fun. We booked a suite and all four stayed in the same cabin.

cassidy2002 Apr 7th, 2003 11:35 AM

I second Sedona as a option.....<BR>I don't know if you're into historical stuff or not, but the plantation tours near Williambsburg, VA are neat. The James River planations, I think they have a package deal w/ 4 plantations included. I think May would be a beautiful time to do it. But, if you're not into that, Sedona as beautiful.

Cameron Apr 7th, 2003 11:56 AM

Please let us know where you decide to go. Thanks

Brutforce Apr 7th, 2003 12:02 PM

Charleston, Key West, New Orleans, San Francisco.

ejcrowe Apr 7th, 2003 12:05 PM

San francisco, New Orleans, or a blend of Charleston-Savannah. Or catch a direct flight to the Caribbean from your nearest major airport and kick back on the beach for a long weekend.

golden Apr 8th, 2003 09:55 AM

We are all from Minnesota and just started doing these trips back in 2000. Our first trip was to Las Vegas followed by New York in 2002. It's too early to start making reservations but we would like to decide on a destination for the 2004 trip. A road trip from Minnesota would use up too much time of our 4-5 days.

hauntedheadnc Apr 8th, 2003 12:09 PM

What about Asheville and the mountains of Western North Carolina? Lots to do and see, including incredible architecture and natural scenery, plus lots of nice small towns nearby to visit.<BR><BR>You could see the art of downtown Asheville, then visit a natural attraction such as Dupont State Forest where you can view some of the most spectacular waterfalls in the East, or Chimney Rock Park, which has hiking trails, caves, and waterfalls.<BR><BR>Also, there's the performing arts, and you could see a ballet, opera, play, or concert, and then you've got your shopping, especially for antiques and art, and fine restaurants.<BR><BR>Or, if you're interested in gardens you could see the arboretum or the botanical gardens, not to mention the gardens at Biltmore Estate where you'd need an entire day to see the 250-room mansion and the beautiful gardens, greenhouse, and courtyards.<BR><BR>If you're interested, there's an awful lot of information on Asheville here on this board, and you can find it by doing a search on Asheville.

peg Apr 8th, 2003 12:28 PM

What about the LA (Santa Monica) area, you can do as much as you want around the city or hang out on the beach?

rjw_lgb_ca Apr 8th, 2003 12:33 PM

For a relaxing time, I would head out west and maybe hit a spa somewhere. Scottsdale AZ could be nice and restful-- good shopping nearby, as well as some nightlife (not wild, but fun). How about New Mexico? Santa Fe, for example. California could be cool, too. Santa Barbara and the wineries, Newport or Laguna Beach, La Jolla/San Diego-- quite a few possibilities!

Brutforce Apr 8th, 2003 12:46 PM

Since you are in Minnesota I believe you have direct flights to Reykjavik, why not Iceland.. ??

syd1 Apr 8th, 2003 01:26 PM

There are some really unique group trips designed for women. One of them is a rafting trip (5 star!) with gourmet meals cooked for you every night. I think the company that runs these is called Sherri Griffith Expeditions. Also, check out www.journeywoman.com --<BR>they've got great recommendations for women traveling together.<BR>Have a great time!

mclaurie Apr 8th, 2003 04:27 PM

Have no idea what transportation would be like from Minnesota but Nantucket is great in May. For 5 days you might be able to rent a house. Otherwise a B &amp; B. There's beach, history, sightseeing, great restaurants &amp; night life.

speedo Apr 8th, 2003 04:57 PM

Mackinac Island, Michigan - Grand Hotel, or a B&amp;B - tour UP of Mich;<BR>Cambria, California - tour the central coast;<BR>Okracoke Is., NC - tour the inter-coastal waterway and the piedmont region;<BR>The Delmarva peninsula (stay in St. Michaels) - tour historic sites/antique shop..<BR><BR>

karenabs Apr 8th, 2003 05:02 PM

My friends and I travel to a different place every year...this year we are going to Santa Fe/Taos in May, but we especially enjoyed San Antonio, Chicago and Denver...did NYC twice as we felt we hadn't covered everything we wanted to do. The San Antonio area has loads of things to do, although it was humid in late October.

Cerlaurie Apr 8th, 2003 06:21 PM

I think you should go to either Santa Fe or Scottsdale. You would have nice weather and you can relax, shop, visit a spa. I like the suggestions on Chicago, San Francisco, Santa Monica but doesn't sound like what you are looking for this time. When we were in Santa Fe, we stayed at a great little B&amp;B and they had a happy hour every evening where they had complimentary wine and appetizers. There were a group of woman and they were having a great time. My husband and I really liked the happy hour because we would be out all day come back and get ready for dinner and then hang out with the other guests for a little bit. It was a great way to meet people. There are a lot of great restaurants, museums and galleries in Santa Fe.

Cicerone Apr 8th, 2003 11:52 PM

I am in a similar group of friends and we did an Arizona vacation with 3 days at the Marriott Camelback for the spa and pools and then 2 days at the Grand Canyon. AZ would be great in May, not too hot and not crowded with kids.<BR><BR>Another thought is Bermuda which is beautiful in May and again not yet crowded with honeymooners and families. If any of you golf, this is a paradise, and it is lots of fun going all over the island on the mopeds. The beaches are incredibe: pink sand and blue blue water. You can fly from Minneapolis by connecting in NY or Atanta. The one drawback might be that the shortest flight seems to be about 6 hours. Don't know if that is unattractive for 4-5 days of vacation.