Trip Report - Yellowstone and Grand Teton NPs - Oct 2-10, 2010

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2010, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I just returned (Aug 2-10, 2010) from a great visit to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks.

I planned 2 days in the Old Faithful area, three in Canyon and two in the Grand Tetons.

As a result of comments by others I expected to spend more time waiting around (somewhat) and less time hiking (not really) than on previous trips.

Pleasant Surprises.
I expected Old Faithful and the Lower Falls to be stars out of convenience. They are stars and deserve that status.

I was pleasantly surprised how easy the Mt Washburn hike turned out to be. A little long and thin air but the actual trail is smooth, wide and gradual.

Disappointments.
Tower Fall due to the poor view. The hike down to the base is now permanently closed.

The Jenny Lake hike to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point due to the crowds. I should have planned this hike for a weekday rather than a weekend.

Not seeing a Grizzly Bear and only seeing Pronghorn/Bighorn Sheep from a distance.

Lodging
Old faithful and Canyon cabins. While the cabins were a little sparse (expected) they had bathrooms and were fine.

Grand Teton. Signal Mountain Lodge. The cabins were a definite upgrade to those in Yellowstone. There was a phone in the room and computers in the lobby with an internet connection.

My style of travel has not changed over the years. I definitely do not rush through sights and stop for as long as I like. However, I start early in the day, end late and I’m non-stop in between.

Travel. We arrived in Jackson Hole about 12:30 and took over 5 hours to reach the Old Faithful area. This included quite a few stops on the way.

Geysers and thermal features.
There are five predicted geysers. All the rest erupt whenever. I suggest timing those with long eruption intervals. Seeing Old Faithful erupt is quite simple. At any time you’re not more than 90 minutes from an eruption. The best time is between 7:00 and 9:30AM as the sun will be up and to the rear but not too high. Obviously a clear day with no wind is best.

Predicted geysers with interval times longer than Old Faithful are Grand, Daisey, Riverside and Castle. Approximate eruption times are listed in the Lodge.

Clearly the Upper and Midway Basins are the place to view geysers and thermal features.

Without waiting for geyser eruptions it takes a couple of hours to walk through the Upper Basin. I would suggest at least a walk through the Upper Basin and several at different times of the day through Geyser Hill. The light coming from different directions and angles causes very interesting effects.

Grand Geyser erupts at 10 hours intervals with a window of plus or minus 2 hours. When we were there it erupted quite close to the end of its interval window. Since Riverside Geyser erupted less than an hour later we saw both.

Old Faithful was unexpectedly the most impressive geyser. The setting and height of eruptions make this a multiple “must see”.

As you move into afternoon a better location for viewing OF would be on the viewing platform but around to the side so that the sun isn’t in your eyes. Late in the day I suggest going over to Plume Geyser on Geyser Hill on the opposite side of OF and sitting on a bench together with less than 10 other people to watch the OF eruption.

Another option for OF is to take the relatively short but steep walk up to Observation Point and viewing the OF eruption from there. This provides another viewing perspective but due to the distance and angle I didn’t find it as dramatic as ground level.

Obviously Old Faithful had the largest crowds but they were never a problem.

There were two other areas that I really enjoyed.

Morning Glory Pool is at the far end of the Upper Basin just past Riverside Geyser and its colors were nothing less than spectacular. Due to its very small size it’s easy to get a good view.

Grand Prismatic Spring is in Midway Basin. Its colors and very large size make it a “must see”. It’s probably about the size of two or more football fields.

Due to its size, the official viewing area is far from the best location. I suggest driving back to the Fairy Falls trailhead and walking the first mile of the hike. After reaching the opposite side of the Spring there’s a small, “unofficial” trail up (quite steep) to what has to be the best viewing area. This is almost a hellicopter view and the colors are amazing. There were about a dozen people there when we went.

Since we saw everything of interest to us multiple times in the first day and a half, we left the Old faithful area at mid-day rather than in the evening. As a result, instead of driving directly to the Canyon area we drove up to Mammoth and around to Canyon. This allowed us to stop at a few extra waterfalls (see below).

In my opinion I was correct in leaving the Mammoth area out of the plan. Mammoth Hot Springs was neither hot nor were there springs. After about an hour of viewing white rocks we moved on.

Waterfalls
I was on a mission to see waterfalls.

It didn’t take me long to determine my favorite viewing angle which was straight on and below the top. Preferably at or below the middle.

Moose Falls. This waterfall is located just inside the south entrance to Yellowstone and a couple of hundred yards from the parking lot. Although it’s relatively small, it’s very nice with excellent views from the bottom and top of the falls. Definitely worth the stop.

Keppler Cascades. Located just before the Old Faithful area. The viewing deck is feet from the parking area. Not one of my favorite angles of view since the viewing area is quite far away and well above the top. Never the less worth the stop.

Mystic Falls. A relatively short and easy hike from Buscuit Basin (Midway Basin). A very nice waterfall and definitely worth the hike.

Fire Hole Falls. I enjoyed the scenic drive and sheer canyon views (I believe this was the only canyon we visited where we were at the bottom looking up) from the stops we made more than the actual Falls. The view was from way above, the falls are small and we were there in midday with a glaring sun. The scenic drive is worth it so you might as well stop to see the falls and/or go swimming in the river as many others do.

Rustic Falls. Located just below Mammoth. Easily missed and dismissed but I really liked the angle of view and the shape of the falls. It looked like a staircase. Right by the roadside and worth the stop.

Undine Falls. Locate just east of Mammoth. These falls should be more impressive than they are. There’s an upper and lower part to the falls but the high viewing angle and distance take something away. If you are in the area stop as the falls are visible from a roadside parking area.

Tower Fall (yes it’s Fall and not Falls). Located just south of the Tower Junction about 100 yards from the parking lot. Unfortunately, with the trail to the bottom of the falls permanently closed, the high viewing angle, the distance and amount of the falls blocked by foliage viewing these falls is disappointing. Visit only because of the reputation and the crowds who must believe otherwise.

Lower Falls. Located in Canyon. Clearly the star of the show. What isn’t so clear is the best viewing location.

The famous Artist Point? I don’t think so. While the view up the Canyon to the Falls is beautiful it’s really far from the actual Falls and too far above the top. This is a definite early morning stop (not too early as the sun must be up to light up the Canyon).

Uncle Tom’s Trail. I don’t think so. The trail/stairs take you down over 300 steps to about midway from the bottom of the falls. While worth the effort, it’s actually a little too close to the Falls and not the best of angles since you view from the side.

Inspiration Point? No.

Lookout Point? Almost. On the way from the car to this viewing area I noticed an Osprey nest at the top of a spire. Those birds will have only one chance to fly and had better get it right. The viewing point is a very good distance from the Lower Falls and the horizontal angle is pretty good. But the vertical angle is a little too high.

Red Rock Point? Bingo!!! This is a 15-20 minute hike down into the canyon below Lookout Point. The trail starts between the parking lot and Lookout Point. Not many people bother to go down. In my opinion, the best seat in the house!! I met a couple with a camera on a tripod that was just standing there. At about 9:30 I realized why. A rainbow started to form on the bottom and over the next several minutes began to stretch across the lower part of the Falls from lower left to upper right. Let me repeat. In my opinion the best view of the Lower Falls is from Red Rock Point.

Grand View/Inspiration Point. Since you’re there you might as well get out of the car. Grandview provides very nice views down the canyon.

Upper Falls. Located in Canyon. Clearly overshadowed by its much larger and more impressive neighbor. You are there so you might as well see it.

Crystal Falls. Located a five-minute walk from the (before) Brink of the Upper Falls. This is the surprise of the area. Nobody knows about it and it doesn’t appear on many maps. We were the only ones there and possibly the only ones there all day. Actually not so because on the way to the car I met a family from Germany and asked them if they had seen this waterfall. I walked them over and they couldn’t get over a sight like this with absolutely no other people. A very quiet and peaceful stop. Definitely see it.

Brink of the Upper and Lower Falls. I grouped them together as that’s what I think of them. You see very little other than spray. I wouldn’t waste my time. The Upper is very close to the parking area. The Lower is not.

The only waterfalls easily viewable in GTNP is Hidden Falls. While the hike was not very enjoyable due to the number of people (could have formed a human chain) (maybe we should have pick a day other than Sunday), this waterfall was a very pleasant surprise. Good size and excellent viewing angle. Worth the effort. As a bonus, close to the top of the falls and to the left I saw some climbers rapelling down part way and then climbing back up.

Wildlife
Bison. The first one I saw was a stray between Old Faithful Inn and the Upper Geyser Basin. A ranger did his best to park in my line of view and kept yelling to move. I was about 50 yards away. These photos have since been deleted since there are more bison in Lamar Valley, Hayden Valley and between Canyon and Hayden than all the rest of the wildlife together. They walk around you and over you. By the end of our trip we weren’t even stopping to see them. But they do put on a show!!!

They are masters of the road and cause many traffic jams. Partly because people stop to watch them and partly because they walk all over the road and stop as they like. I guess if I were that size I’d do what I want as well.

Grizzly Bears. I didn’t see any but spoke to a few people who did. We were in Lamar Valley several times but no grizzlies.

Black Bears. I saw three of them. One was in Lamar but was too far away and the photos are basically unusable. I saw two others on the way up Signal Mountain. The first wouldn’t cooperate and was too busy eating to lift its head. The second put on a bit of a show quite close to us in the dim light of dusk.

Deer. Deer, and more deer. At least some have antlers and others don’t. Some have white butts and others don’t. Some have speckles and others don’t. They’re all very easy to look at and are around early and late in the day. The best viewing was between Canyon and Hayden Valley and in GTNP on the way up Signal Mountain.

Moose. I expected to see some near Moose but I think that’s a diversionary tactic. I saw one in a stream just below the road at Colter Bay. So did about a hundred other people. The road was wide at the junction so it didn’t cause any traffic issues.

Others.
Coyote on the Mt Washburn hike.

Coyote or something else (I’ll try to identify) was walking along the highway near Mt Washburn. I stopped and it walked in front of and around me before moving on.

Marmot or something in the beaver family at the top of Mt Washburn and on the hike to Taggart Lake.

Walks/hikes
Upper Geyser Basin. Obviously in the Old Faithful area. Allow several hours for this walk. Consider doing this twice at different times for the lighting effect. Early evening reminded me of a Sherlock Holmes movie. Otherwise, walk Geyser Hill at different times of the day. Or both. Most of the five predicted geysers are in this basin. Grand, Riverside and Daisy are quite close to each other.

Geyser Hill. A relatively short walk just past and beside Old Faithful. This is an excellent mini tour of geysers and other thermal features very close to Old Faithful Lodge. Again, consider doing this walk twice and at different times of the day. The bench at Plume Geyser provides an excellent view of Old Faithful erupting in the late afternoon hours with just a few people. Quite peaceful.

Observation Point. A short and relatively steep walk up to a lookout point above Old Faithful. A different and worthwhile viewing perspective of Old Faithful but not as dramatic due to the angle and distance.

Hellroaring Creek. Located between Mammoth and Tower. A very nice hike ending at a suspension bridge. However, there’s a change in elevation of about 800 feet. Down on the way in and up on the way back. While there are no dropoffs, the trail is relatively narrow and is shared with horses. The area around the bridge made the hike worth the effort back up.

Yellowstone Picnic Area. Located just east of the Tower junction. Starts with a short, steep walk up but then levels off and provides excellent views of the Canyon. A good length for an afternoon hike.

Mt Washburn. This is a classic hike and highly recommended. From the southern trailhead to the top over 3 miles. The starting elevation is 8,800 feet and the top is at about 10,300 feet. It’s cold and windy at the top so take with a sweater, windbreaker, rainwear and a snack to have in the indoor lookout. In spite of all of the above this is a very easy hike. The trail is actually a dirt road that’s smooth with a gentle incline all the way up. There are no chains or narrow trails hanging over a cliff. If it weren’t for the lack of oxygen due to the elevation, this would be a walk in the park. On the way we saw a coyote, chip monks, marmots and pronghorn sheep (unfortunately these were on the next mountain). Just walk slowly, drink water, have sunscreen on and rest as required.

Uncle Tom’s Trail. On the South Rim. Worth the effort for an up close and personal view of the Lower Falls. Almost too close.

Red rock Point. On the North Rim. This requires a 15-20 minute hike down below Lookout Point. This is the best view in the house and the 9:30AM rainbow put the icing on the cake. Don’t miss this vantage point!!!

Jenny Lake to Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point. This was the least enjoyable hike on the trip due to the number of people. Maybe late morning on a Sunday was bad timing. In spite of the crowds Hidden Falls was one of my favorites due to its size, distance and angle of view. The climbers/rapellers way up and to the left of the falls also added something.

Swan Lake-Pond – Colter Bay. I had hopes of seeing some wildlife here but it turned out to be just a nice walk in the forest.

Natural Bridge – Lake area. This is not in the same league as the Natural Bridge at Bryce Canyon. It was a longer hike than I expected and although it turned out to be an interesting site, the late day sun could have been better used on sunset photography in GTNP. A nice hike if you have little else to do.

Epilogue.
An excellent trip. Thanks to all who made recommendations.

Would I go back again? Other than seeing more wildlife, I probably saw everything of interest to me. I wouldn’t be opposed to going back if I was with somebody who hadn’t been there. However, with so many other places to see, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons might have to wait a while for a return visit.

When I think about these two parks, they are really the equivalent to four or five other parks. Yellowstone has several distinct areas that could each have been its own park.

You can see my photos at:

www.travelwalks.com
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:17 PM
dcd

Received 58 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice to see someone who can handle a camera. Great pics not only of your latest trip but of all the others.

Thanks so much for your very informative report. It's been bookmarked. I've planned a virtually identical trip for the last week of July next year and will even be staying in the same places.

If you had it to do again, would you stick with your itinerary for YNP or would you spend only the first nite in OFI and the other 4 in the canyon? Was the 5/2 split between YNP and GTNP a good one for you guys?

Any issues with bugs that time of year?

Thanks.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 03:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thank you for the detailed report. I will save it for our trip planning.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

dcd,

Glad you enjoyed the photos.

Life is a compromise. Assuming I'd rather drive a bit more rather than change lodging to stay only one night, I wouldn't change anything.

We arrived in the Old Faithful area close to 7PM (Day 0). After checking in we had a couple of hours to wander around.

The day we left (Day 2) included viewing OF near sunrise, walking Geyser Hill again and watching what turned out to be the best OF eruption (around 9:30) due to sun glistening, clear sky, no wind and a great eruption (not all are the same). That sandwhiched a very, very full day (Day 1) that most people would not want to do.

On the first full day (day 1) I watched a 7AM OF eruption, hiked up to Observation Point for an 8:30 OF eruption, had a bite for breakfast, walked around the Upper Basin, drove over to Grand Prismatic Spring and spent some time there, drove back to the Fairy Falls trailhead to hike the first mile of the hike and up to an amazing Grand Prismatic Spring viewpoint, then made a mistake and parked on a pullout signed Daisy Geyser thinking it was close to the geyser, hiked more than a mile of boring terrain to Daisy Geyser, wandered that part (north end) of Upper Basin, sat for close to an hour (a lot of fun with the crowd - my cell phone rang and my wife informed me that our daughter-in-law had just given birth - everybody was asking questions) waiting for Grand Geyser to erupt, walked over to Morning Glory, then back to Riverside Geyser and waited for its eruption, hiked back to the car, drove to Mystic Falls (about 4:30 by now) trailhead and did the hike, spent some time there and photographing Mystic Falls, drove back to OF and wandered around the Upper Basin and Geyser Hill. Eventually went in for some dinner after it got dark. Photographed an OF eruption in virtual darkness.

If I didn't mind moving for one night, I might have moved one night from Canyon to the Tower Area (I didn't research lodging there so I don't know what they have). I would do that because I would have been able to be in Lamar Valley in early morning and we did two hikes (Hellroaring and Yellowstone Picnic Area) around Tower.

Also, we hiked Mt Washburn that's midway between Canyon and Tower.

The 5/2 split worked well. Since the early mornings and evenings can be so different I could have used another of each (also that's when most wildlife is out). However, we had enough middays. Actually, some of the best photographs I took at GTNP were on the last day and some even on the way to the airport. Great clouds (some low hanging) with blue sky. Kept stopping the car.

I had bug spray but never needed it. On one hike near Colter Bay there was some marshy water so there were a few bugs. But we quickly move on.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think Old Faithful put on a better show for you than it did us. It looks significantly higher than the 3 or 4 times we saw it go. My favorite was Castle and Riverside Geysers. We didn't see Grand go. I was suprised by how good the waterfalls were. We were there on June 15 and I don't think they were going much better. I do think that Hidden Falls were going more, but the pics you took of the falls in Yellowstone- they seem to be rocking pretty good. I am a real sucker for waterfalls, arches, and big trees. I think you did a lot more hiking than we did. I want to go back(actually 3 different trips). I would like to see it again in the summer, fall, and also winter. Was anyone swimming in the Firehole River area(where the sign said no jumping). That was my main regret when we were there. Different seasons have pros and cons. I thought your bear pics were very good. I was expecting much while reading your trip report, but you got some good one. Mount Washburn and Hellroaring hikes looked nice.

Hope your upcoming trip to Utah is great for you as well!! I am done for a while. Have booked Big Bend in March, Utah in May(Bryce this time), and Glacier in July. We are going with my parents to Bryce and Glacier. I haven't traveled with them in many years. My daughter goes with them frequently. They don't like to hike much, so we will all do a little adjusting and probably wind up doing our own thing part of the time.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

spiro,

It was very warm and quite a few people were swimming in the Firehole River. I didn't see any people jumping in but I did see some on the rocks so. . . .

When I reread what I wrote maybe I didn't sound too enthusiastic. It was really a great trip. I think I was busy describing things. There were some real highlights. OF, the whole Upper Basin, Grand Prismatic Spring, Lower Falls (especially from Red Rock Point and the rainbow, the third black bear was very close to me and the first day in Canyon when I ended up standing in the middle of a herd of bison (I was too dumb to realize the danger and was prepared to jump dehind somebody's truck), the deer with the large antlers in the early morning fog, etc.

Also, as I think about it, if it weren't that there are other places to go, I would consider going back. One day in the geysers, one early morning at Red Rock Point for a rainbow and probably the rest of the time concentrating on wildlife.

I just don't see myself sitting on a lawn chair with a spotting scope waiting all day to see a specific animal.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 04:14 AM

Thanks for the report Myer. If you go again, try going in June when there are tons of baby bison and elk all over the park and the waterfalls are spectacular from the run off.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

spiro, emalloy,

And talking about highlights. I would definitely do the Mt Washburn hike again. This was somewhere between a highlight and a disappointment.

Disappointing because I had psyched myself to bump into some longhorn sheep (there were a bunch on the next mountain) and a highlight because it was a fun hike though long and a lot of sucking for oxygen.

I thought the waterfalls were mostly very good. I was talking to a ranger about the little known Crsytal Falls and he said that the water is a bit sparse there this time of year. I thought it was fine as is. Those ribbon falls just have a great look.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 05:22 AM

Myer, been looking forward to your trip report. Fabulous pictures! We are in the process of planning a 10 night trip between Yellowstone and GTNP. We are struggling with how do divide it up. The only thing I am set on is at least 3 nights in GTNP. Based on your previous posts and trip reports your travel habits and interests are similar to ours, so - if you had 10 nights to play with how would you divide them up?
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Chigirl09,

We had 8 nights (7 days plus a bit of Day 0).

I'm trying to think of what I'd do with two more days. Although steep, curvy roads freak me out a bit I would probably add a day for the Beartooth Highway. I'm a glutton for scenery.

I wouldn't add Mammoth. I'd research the Lake area but from what I saw it looks very lakeish - people on boats, etc. Not for me.

I might add part of a day to the Old Faithful area as few people would do what I did on Day 1 (see above 8:43 Aug 31).

Since I'm into photography I could always use more early mornings and late afternoons. They differ greatly from one to the next.

Not that it really interested me but we got to Jackson Hole late afternoon of the last day because it started to rain and we dropped a hike at Colter Bay that we thought might have some wildlife. If you want to see Jackson that's a bit more time in GTNP.

Since we did two hikes near Tower Junction and I could have spent an early morning at Lamar Valley I might add 2 days there. The hikes, Lamar and Beartooth.

I'm jumping around but I'm writing as I think.

Back to the division.
YNP - Wildlife, hiking, geysers/springs, waterfalls.
GTNP - wildlife, hiking, great early morning late evening views (Jackson Lake, Oxbow Bend and several more locations.

I'd add a day to each.

While I wasn't thrilled with the Jenny Lake hike I had to cut it off due to a back/nerve issue. Otherwise I would have spent a few more hours continuing in Cascade Canyon.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:28 AM

Thanks Myer, that's helpful. Glad for your insight to Mammouth and Lake area. It is just so hard sometimes when the parks are so big trying to plot how much time to spend in each place.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:33 AM
Original Poster

Chigirl09,

Forgot to mention. Signal Mountain had a fair amount of deer and a few black bears in a ddition to an excellent viewpoint looking out over Jackson lake.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:49 AM

Hi Myer,

I'm glad you had a good trip! there is so much to see in these 2 parks and yes, the sights vary with the seasons a lot!

Mosquitos can be a big problem earlier in the summer, but you also get animal babies and wildflowers, so it's a trade off.

Do you think some of the deer, deer, deer you saw were elk? Could have been....I think they (and the tiny pronghorn antelope) are the most beautiful.

It's really a shame that the hike to the bottom of Tower Falls is permanently closed. I did this hike (strenuous!) many years ago and it's one of the best I've ever done. I got some great pictures and it was worth every huff and puff. You really have to see it from the bottom, the view from the top is nothing.

Thanks for the great trip report. I'm thinking of heading up for a few days next week.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:59 AM

Chigirlop,
It will make a difference on some of the activities depending on what month you go. Early summer is different than late summer. What month do you have planned? I would definately add a day in for the Beartooth Hwy. I would probably spend the extra time in Yellowstone over the Tetons, IMOP.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 08:01 AM

You can easily spend an entire day, just waiting on geysers to go off. Each one is very unique. We saw 5 different geysers go, but there is plenty more after those.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:00 AM

Spiro - thanks for your input. We are leaning toward last week of August, first week of September or first two weeks of September.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Chigirl09 & Dayle

Chi,
As spiro wrote, you can spend time waiting for geysers to erupt. We waited about 30-40 minutes for Grand to erupt. We were approaching in the last hour of the window (+ or minus 2 hrs) and it hadn't erupted yet so we went over there.

I also knew that Riverside was predicted less than an hour later. So after Grand a finished we walked past Riverside (about 15 minutes) and on to Morning Glory (plus 5 minutes) then back and waited for Riverside.

Aside from those two we didn't wait for any. As you walk thru the Upper Basin/Geyser Hill you're bound to see something go off. If nothing else you'll see Old Faithful from a distance.

Dayle,
It really is too bad about Tower. A major disappointment what you see. I don't know why the parking lot there is full and there's a constant stream of people.

I can name half a dozen waterfalls that are better - Moose, Crystal, Undine, Rustic, Lower, Mystic, Hidden (GTNP).

Dayle, if you look at my photos there are quite a few of the deer, deer, deer. Many look different so somebody who knows more than I may be able to identify them.

Also, I have a photo of what might be a coyote. Maybe somebody can also identify it.

Didn't think I'd be giving out assignments.

Maybe there is a reason to go back earlier in the summer.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 02:03 PM

>>Moose. I expected to see some near Moose but I think that’s a diversionary tactic.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 04:24 PM

We saw a Moose on Moose Road, a mom and baby right at Jackson Lodge entrance, and three other occasions in Yellowstone. All of them were close up in the teton, and all of them were from a distance at Yellowstone. The one we saw on Moose Rd was feeding in a pond and we had her all to ourselves for about 15 minutes.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 04:45 PM

Hi Myer,

I checked out a few of your pics, I don't have high speed internet so it's hard to wait for very many. Pictures 44, 47 & 48 are elk. Pic 60 is a deer. Pic 64 is a fox. You were lucky to see it!

Elk are much larger than deer and more muscular. They have a much larger white butt area too. You'll notice the deer has a smaller white are on its butt and a little black tail. elk don't have black tails. The little calf/fawn, I can't tell without seeing Mom. I haven't seen very many elk calves, but I did see one on my last trip to Yellowstone. They are usually well hidden, but do have the spots just like fawns.

One of these days, I'll have to post my picture of 2 moose who spent the whole day in our neighborhood one rainy day this past June!

Great photos too!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -