Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Trip Report - Sedona Grand Canyon 3 days - Memorial Day '06

Old May 30th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First here's a big thank you to all those who post their experiences on here, it's been a great help to us. So, here's hopin to add to the wealth of info on here..

Day 1:
We flew into Phoenix, Sat morn.. the flight was early so we got in around 8:15, went straight to the rental car station. Hertz had a special discounted rate on a Murano so upgraded and we were off to Sedona. We left at around 9:30 and got into Sedona around 11:45 am. We tried to check in at Kings Ransom, but they wouldn't let us check-in till 3 pm. Was a bit disappointed with that. We had booked the Verde Canyon railroad trip at 2:30 pm so had hoped to leave the luggage in the room and go but.. oh well... so we were off to get some lunch. Went on up to
89 and had lunch at the WildFlower Bread Company in the Hyatt Pinon Pointe. It was really good. Roamed around, went to Safeway bought bottled water for the hikes etc.. and we were off to ClarkDale for the train trip. It took around 30 minutes to drive from Sedona to Clarkdale. It was a nice drive good roads/directions. We booked the train trip a couple of weeks before our trip. Got there in plenty of time for the trip. The train trip was really cool. They said it starts at 2:30 pm and boy right when the second hand turned to make it 2:30 we were off. we had coach class tickets. Each of the cars have an open air car tied to it. So, on our way up to Perkinsville ( 2 hrs one-way ) we sat outside in the open-air car. It was beautiful. Had a great trip up. On the way down the heat and the early morning air travel had taken its toll on me. So wife and I stayed in the a/c car with the kids with gameboys.. The trip down was slightly faster than our trip up. Saw some coyotes but that was about all the wildlife we saw. Apparently folks have sighted bears, so said the conductor. Got back in around 6:10-6:15. We drove back to Sedona, Checked-in took a shower and went to dinner at L'Auberge. Had asked for a creek view when we reserved a couple of weeks in advance but wud've had to wait for an extra hour for it. We(I ) were famished by then, so took the available table. The food was delicious, and very good service too. After dinner went back and slept. We had rooms in the newly built extension and they were good.

Points of Note on Day 1:
a) The rental Car center in Phoenix is a little ways from the airport, and there is just one common shuttle that takes you there. So, if you're out there looking for the Hertz/Avis shuttle you won't find it.
b) Everyone (or maybe its just us tourists) in Phoenix seems to drive in the left lane on the express way. So, if you're good at merging stay on the right and you'll get where you need to get sooner.
c)Someone on here was asking about wedding spots and apparently the Verde Canyon Railroad takes you to some nice scenic spots for the wedding.

Day 2:
Didn't wake up early enough so missed the sunrise. Went for mass at St. John Vianney church, very beautiful church with a great view of Sedona. After mass , 9 am, filled gas and were off to the Grand Canyon, took 89 north into Flagstaff and off to Grand Canyon via .. Sunset Crater and wupatki
We reached GC around 2:30 pm after our stops in Sunset Crater and Wupatki. It was a beautiful day and there was a scenic point from where you could see the Painted Desert between Sunset Crater and Wupatki.. was a beautiful view. We stopped at the East entrance and the Desert view was very beautiful. Had our first view of the 'little river that could. After the Desert view we drove to Mather Point, the cars were parked on the road and no spots were available, so we went off looking for a spot, and we found one at Parking Lot A right next to the Park HQ which has restrooms avail. The east entrance also has restrooms. Took the shuttle and went to the Mather Point and walked the rim trail to the Bright Angel Lodge, around 2.5 miles . Level walk took us ~ 1hour with the multitude of stops to take pictures .. contemplate the beauty etc etc.. We wanted to do the Bright Angel trail but were worried if we went too far we wouldn't be able to make it for the sunset at Hopi Pt. (and boy were we right!). So, we walked in for a 30 min hike down on the trail. That's give us an hr to hike back up.. so said the guide.. On our hike down there were deer on the sides grazing and saw a couple of eagles. The hike down was easy but the hike back up was strenous (if you are like us then you'll discount what i just wrote). There are two tunnels on the trail so our hike was from tunnel-to-tunnel. trip down took 30 mins trip up was 45-50 mins. We did the hike from 5:00-6:15, so there was plenty of shade, can't imagine what it'd be like at noon. The hike is well worth it if you have time, the views are to die for. We'd thought we'd walk to Hopi Pt for the sunset but we were glad to see the bus when we got back up to the trailhead. At Hopi Pt., we stayed for the sunset and hopped on the bus down after the sunset. Drove into Flagstaff through the south entrance and through 64 and 180. We kinda took the wrong turn..AAA said drive straight down to hit 40, but I think we might have been faster into FlagStaff through 180. We had the added bonus of seeing Elk as we drove through the natl forest.

Points of note on Day 2:
a) We set off to Grand Canyon anticipating warm weather, but by sunset it had really cooled down, so carry a light jacket with you. The temp varied from 50 - 70s and there was a pretty strong breeze which cooled it down further. By the time we were coming back the temperatures had dropped down to 34.
b) If you're taking the route we did into GC through the east entrance on 89 stay on the right lane towards the mall when you take the exit off of I-40.
c) At GC as we drove in, we kept looking for the canyon after every curve, but we could see it only after the east entrance, so dont get too disappointed if it's not after the next big curve

Day 3:
Woke up late after the journey from GC. Had breakfast at NY bagel co. and off to Phoenix via Montezuma Castle. Not very eventful. Got in to the airport in plenty of time for the flight.

a) Rental Car refuel spot is on 24th and Washington, if you like me forgot to refuel as you make the turn into the return center.
Old May 30th, 2006, 02:18 PM
emd

scouting, can you tell me more about Kings Ransom and your room? What was the room like, and the nedding? Was it quiet, noisy? I want to possibly stay there next trip. And were they not lettin gyou in becasue the room wasn't ready or are they just sticklers about checkin time and not getting in before then? I don't like that part of your day...other hotels in Sedona have let me get in the rm as long as it is ready, even in the morning...

I have gone to St. John V. chruch every time I am in Sedona over a weekend and really like it- very nice community.

I am glad you liked the VV railroad trip! We liked it also.
Old May 30th, 2006, 04:39 PM
emd

that word is "bedding"
Old May 31st, 2006, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Kings ransom was ok. I heard them give the same explanation to another person when I was checking out, so not sure if they are just sticklers to the time. The room was neat, except for a couple of dead spiders in the tub, which makes me doubt if they were really cleaning the room when we got there. We were in the room between 10 pm and 7 am each day, and it was quiet. The room itself was large and the bed was comfortable.
Old May 31st, 2006, 06:48 AM
emd

Was there any view from the rm?

Thanks very much scouring! I am glad you enjoyed Sedona and Verdy Valley rail and the GC. I love that area and go as often as I can, never tire of it.
Old May 31st, 2006, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

not from the one we had. The room was in the ground floor, and there wasnt much of a view from there. I bet the upper floor might have had a better view. We weren't there that long, so didnt miss not having a view.
The area is beautiful. I wish we had lot more time, I really really wish corp. america'd give us worker bees a lil more time off. We would have loved to spend some time in Tlaquepaque and go around some of the galleries. Lots to do there.