Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Boston Hotel or Marrriott Copley Place?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be attending a conference at Hynes Conv Ctr next month and am trying to decide between staying the the Sheraton Boston Hotel (advantage would be that it's closest to Hynes and all conference activities centered out of this hotel), or the Marriott (still seems very reasonable walking distance to Hynes). Prices at both are comparable. (Rates at the Fairmont and Westin are too high for what my company will pay.)

On a map that the Marriott looks closer walking distance to restaurants, etc. in Back Bay area - but not sure? Which hotel would be better and why - Sheraton or Marriott? Looking for not only convenience to Hynes for conference sessions, but also convenience to city amenities within walking distance (and to the T) since I'll have some free time to enjoy.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:54 AM

It's really a toss up. As you say, the Sheraton is right next to the Convention Center.

Boylston St and the restaurants and shops of the back bay are right outside there. The Mariott is connected to the other end of the Mall through a sky walk. It's a few more steps to get over to Boylston and the like.

IMO I'd prefer the Sheraton. You're room is closer to your convention in case you need to "just run up" to get something, and other stuff is just outside your door. The Mariott has a busier street to cross (unless you use the sky walk) to get over to Boylston St. But both would be fine.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM
yk

I don't think it's too much of a difference location-wise. I'd choose it based on:

1) Are you affiliated w/the hotel programs of either one?

2) If no, I'd go w/the one that has a better review on tripadvisor.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 10:24 AM
Original Poster

So it sounds like the Back Bay shops and restaurants on Boylston are closer to the Sheraton than Marriott? If that's the case, then I'll probably stay at Sheraton, since it is convenient to be able to readily access room during convention day, and it doesn't seem that the Marriott has any other location advantages. Both prices are similar. I would also guess that accomodation/room quality is similar?
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 10:43 AM

No, they're really both in the same area. The Marriott is connected to both the Copley Mall and the Prudential, which is handy for bad weather. Location wise, you'll be fine with either. I think the rooms at the Marriott are a bit nicer but the Sheraton will be fine too.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Flip a coin. The area you are talking about is tiny compared to other big cities.

Boston is much more compact than many people think until they arrive.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 10:47 AM
yk

The Sheraton is slightly closer to the shops towards the end of Newbury. Marriott will be slightly closer to the shops towards the beginning of Newbury.

Marriott is closer to restaurants in South End.
Old Aug 22nd, 2008, 06:46 AM

Hi,

never been the Marriott, if you decide for the Sheraton make sure that you are in the South Tower and
have a renovated room. I love the
sweet slepper beds at SH.
Wish you a nice stay.

NewEng0305