Trip report-Maui or I survived the road to Hana backwards

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DH and I have just returned from 6 days in Maui. We have been there several times before but never taken the road. In talking to a local, she recommended that instead of taking the usual route of road to Hana and either turning around and going back or proceeding on the unpaved road around to the Haleakala Hwy (SP) we reverse it, thus avoiding the traffic.

This worked really well in alot of ways. First, we were the only ones on the road in that direction, which is fortunate due to the narrow, pothole filled road, secondly, we were at the more popular sights nearly alone.

The downside of this was having to read the Maui Revealed book backwards and not being able to use the CD. If anyone tries this I highly recommend going thru with a highlighter on your areas of interest so you are not scanning for mile marker posts in the book to know what you should be looking for.

I'm glad we took the road from Hana, but wouldn't be interested in going again.

Hotel: Sheraton Maui on a package deal that included rental car and $100.00 credit. $759.00 for 5 nights. We were upgraded to partial ocean view, but the lanai on our room was about 24 inches deep. There was room only for 1 small chair. Otherwise hotel was fine. We did not need to go to the timeshare presentation, but did anyway as they offered an additional $100.00 and 1/2 off a 5 night stay at any Starwood in the world. Dinner the last night to use up our credit was surprisingly good.

Dining:

Lelanis on the beach-horrible meal. Food is mass produced and popular items are pre-plated (I peeked into the kitchen). We sent our cold, undercooked fish back and declined a replacement

Kobe Steakhouse- on 2 for 1 entertainment coupon. Hard to get a bad meal when they cook it in front of you using high quality ingredients. We really enjoyed our meal here. We have been here before and will go again.

Pacific-O- overrated IMHO. We got the crap table even though we had made a sunset reservation well in advance. THe shrubbery was so high we couldn't see anything other than oleander. Food was ok, nothing special, although the Calamari Salad was spectacular.

Seahouse- on the beach in Napilii- this was our favorite meal. THe food was fresh and superbly presented, wonderfully tasty. Excellant service and view.

We ate a few breakfasts and 1 lunch at Castaways, on the beach in front of the Kaanapali Alii. It is a family operated place. Alot of locals live at the Alii and this is like their neighborhood restraunt. Really recommend this for a casual meal.

Snorkeling at black rock and Honolua Bay was great. The road past Kapalua all the way to the end of the state road boasts spectacular views. We enjoyed this more than Hana, no waterfalls but the coastline was unbelievable.

Despite my near herculean efforts to spot whales from the shore, I came up empty other than a few long distance spouts. We should have taken a whale watch, but in previous trips have had a great show from the scenic spot just before the road turns, and also from shore. Oh well.

The true highlight of the trip was Warren and Annabelle's. We never, ever go to things of this nature, but the conceirge at the hotel was really gung ho on it, and Maui Revealed was also, and for good reason. This guy is so hilariously funny I couldn't believe it. Pardon the hyperbole. I cannot remember laughing so hard for 3 hours ever. Make a reservation before you leave the mainland, as it sells out most nights. Our show was sold out and we got lucky with a cancellation 1 day in advance. 21 and over only.

Anyway, that's the trip.
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 11:33 AM

Mahalo for the Trip Report!
How was the weather during your stay
Old Apr 12th, 2006, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

85 during the day, cooler at night. Blue skies, a little cloudy on the Hana side. No sign of rain. Yipee!!!!!!!!
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:53 PM

Hi, I was wondering about this option too. Why just go one way to Hana, why not reverse it? So, from the Sheraton, you drove to the crater and then to Hana on the unpaved road? Please tell more. Thanks!
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 02:03 PM

JC, this thread is three years old. If you have a question about the road to Hana, it might be better to start a new thread.