Trip Report - Italian couple back from New York

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip Report - Italian couple back from New York

We are: couple early 40's and early 50's
We travelled on: 27th Dec to 3rd January
Arrived at Newark in the afternoon after a long but happily uneventful flight from Rome. Took a taxi to our Hotel Gansevoort in the Meatpacking District. The hotel is very chic and trendy with a lovely hall and fantastic view from the rooftop bar. We had a deluxe king which was just about big enough for two – hate to think what the small rooms are like – but very nicely furnished with a lovely bathroom and very comfortable bed. The staff were very helpful and friendly.
After a quick walk around the really fun Chelsea Market with all its shops and cafés we went for an early dinner at Pastis – a french bistrot which is apparently very “in” at the moment. The place was packed at 6.30…we couldn’t believe it being normally quite late eaters. Anyway the food was excellent – one of the best steak frites we ever had and the ambience very warm and lively. Went to bed early.
Day 2 we attempted to go to the MOMA but the queues were such that we abandoned the idea for that day. Strolled around the 5th Avenue shops but were quite relieved to head back downtown for a walk down Bleeker st before dinner at Buddhakan. This is an uber-cool restaurant/bar/lounge and was also completely full at 7pm . The food is sort of pan-Asian and what we ordered was delicious and very well presented. Later we had a drink in the bar of our hotel and watched guests splashing in the narrow pool with a good view of the Hudson.
Day 3 more walking around, lunch at Spice Market which is fun and crowded but I wasn’t crazy about the “Asian street food” we ordered. Explored the nearby Maritime Hotel which is newly renovated and very nice but rooms are tiny. Later we moved from the lovely Gansevoort to the SoHo Grand where we had booked a corner king for the rest of our stay just for the fun of checking out a different area and hotel.
Our room at the Grand was about the same size (and price) as the Gansevoort and just as nicely furnished though the bathroom was much smaller and not nearly as nice. The Grand bar and gallery are lovely and warm and there is a very friendly welcoming feel to the hotel. We enjoyed our stay there a lot.
In the evening we went to hear the New Orleans Orchestra at the Jazz Standard which had been recommended for its excellent hamburghers and so they were. The music was good too!
Day 4 we went to Ground Zero which was really moving. We thought of our kids posing for photos in front of the towers the last time we were in the city. Sigh.
Went for a slice of pizza at Joe’s on Carmine st which is "supposed" to be one of the best in NY and later went to see Spamalot at the Shubert Theater. This is a good stage adaptation of the original Monty Python film and we enjoyed the songs and set design. Broadway was packed with people and we were very glad we had made plans to stay downtown for the new year’s celebrations the next day.
Day 5 we celebrated the last day of 2006 with brunch at the Blue Note with the Grady Tate Quintet. The food was nothing to write home about but the music was great.
Back at the Grand preparations were in full swing for the NYE masquerade ball . This started at around 9pm with a delicious buffet with masses of different dishes , meats and fish of every kind, artisanal cheeses, salads, quiches accompanied by decent wines and any other drinks you could have wished for. The atmosphere was elegant but informal and there was a lot of dancing and drinking until about 4 am. There was a mixed crowd of hotel guests and outsiders and lots of people arriving after midnight and joining in the fun.
On the 1st January it rained which was perfect as all we wanted to do was stay in bed. Thought about going to the MOMA but reckoned it was Monday as well as New Year and it would probably be shut. Eventually we made our sleepy way to the Angelica to catch a movie and nurse our hangover in the dark. Had a very good dinner at Aquagrill (reccommended on this post) even though I’m not normally crazy about fish but cooked in the American way it is so tasty and unfishy that I loved it.
Day 7 – beautiful sunny day again but we have to get to the MOMA. Turns out we were completely wrong. In NY most museums are shut on Tuesdays not Mondays. It must be a sign of destiny. We decide to go to the Met (which is always open) and spend the day between the museum and the park which was spectacularly beautiful in the crisp light. We walked to the top of the Belvedere Castle and had an amazing view of the city. At 7 we had tickets for Jersey Boys which I found a bit boring unless you happen to be really into the 4 Seasons. Dinner in our hotel as Balthazar was full even at 10.30.
Last day , last bit of shopping quick bite to eat and then off to JFK where we were met by the horrifying sight of a queue outside the Delta terminal which wound all the way down the road for nearly 1 mile. There were no airport staff to explain what was going on, nobody from Delta or Alitalia – a complete nighmare. We queued outside the airport building for over 1 hour but things got much worse once we were inside. People began pushing and shouting, the ground staff were incredibly rude. Nobody knew where they were supposed to go. We had to queue to check in, then drag our luggage to the security queue, then through 2 other queues which were all blending into each other so some people were barging in front and others were in the wrong place. Complete chaos. One girl was crying as she had missed her flight even though she had got to the airport 3 hours before. Our flight left almost one hour late in order for all the passengers to board. It was crazy!
Eventually we made it home and apart from the last few hours we really enjoyed our time in New York. We loved the atmosphere and the people, the shops and the food. The variety and sheer number of places open at all times of the day and night. And we were so lucky with the weather!Thanks to all those who contributed with their advice. We will now need to rest and diet for at least two weeks to get over our vacation!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 09:44 AM
GoTravel

What a GREAT trip report!

Thanks for sharing!

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:41 AM

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip! Aquagrill is a great restaurant, glad you liked it!
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:02 AM

So sorry about your bad experience at JFK - but that airport is one of the worst IMO - even for travel within the US. UGH!

However, the rest of your trip sounds like lots of fun and I enjoyed your trip report. We were there last October (from California). I love NYC!

Thanks for sharing!
Linda
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

In fact it was only at the Delta terminal - the other airline check ins seemed to be ok.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:26 PM

carron - Very nice trip report. Thanks for sharing the details on the two hotels you stayed at - very helpful information.

Was this your first trip to NYC and will you be back?

Sandy
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. I've been to NYC about 4 or 5 times, first time as a teenager, then a couple of times with my sons when they were kids, the last time (before this one) was in 2000. Usually we stayed in a lent flat mid town by the NY Library. So it was fun to be downtown in a hotel for a change. I'm sure I'll be back. I love NY and other parts of the States too.
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Hello carrom, I am curious, are you Italian with Italian being your first language? I am only asking because your English skills are such I would think you are an American and that English is your first language.

I have a lot of friends in Italy that do speak,read and write in English and I have always thought their English were wonderful..but not as "American" as yours is, thus I ask. I hope you don't mind.

I too so enjoyed your trip report, thank you for sharing it with us.

Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:22 PM

And of course I meant "their English WAS wonderful"..mine could use some improving..or perhaps my tying skills could be improved!
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

I really am Italian and it is my mother tongue! BUT.....I grew up in London from age 3 until I finished university, about 20 years. Now I live in Rome. Thanks for asking and glad you love Italy!
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 05:11 PM

Great report, thanks for doing it.
I kind of suspected you must be Italian by birth. Few of us natives write so well. LOL
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everybody. This US forum is great. It's nice to get some feedback! I wrote a long report in the Asia forum on our trip to India in November and got no responses at all!
Old Jan 8th, 2007, 09:33 AM

Ciao carrom, twenty years in London, that explains your English skills. I agree with Patrick by the way, lol. And yes, I do truly love Italy and the people of Italy.
Old Jan 9th, 2007, 05:54 AM

I enjoyed your trip report. Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:05 AM

Carrom, just saw this report after your reference on the Europe forum. Very nice. Two hotels that I would like to stay in too. Just saw something about Buddhakan on Martha Stewart, and it looks great. Definitely on my list for next NY trip (I live in Belgium). Your report made me think about going to NYC for the Christmas holidays. Do you think the Soho Grand would be good for a trip with teenage kids?
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 03:30 AM

So glad Tulips topped this report. Fun to read as I missed it. Just fyi on the museum closings, the Met Museum is closed on Mon. (except on certain holiday weekends when it stays open), MOMA is closed on Tues., the Guggenheim is closed on Thurs., Neue is only open Thurs.- Sun and the fact that they all seem to close on a different day has led to many of us being disappointed.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:31 AM

And good to see that not all Italians eat at Denny's!

We have been to Spice Market as well, and enjoyed it very much; but we went for lunch, with kids. Not sure it's a place where I would take kids in the evening, or would you (13/14 year old)
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi again!
Tulips - I would definitely go to Soho Grand with teenage kids. The staff are very friendly and laid back and the downstairs hall with the huge dogs is fun! It's so close to busy streets and shopping that they could easily come and go by themselves. Of course at the Gansevoort there was the pool which kids usually like and a really great breakfast but I don't think the area is as much fun for kids except for the Chelsea market which they would like I'm sure. I'm not sure about Spice Market in the evening....we also went for lunch. To be honest I saw quite a lot of small babies and toddlers but not many teenagers around. My 2 boys refused to come this time because of the over 21 drinking law. They are 18 and 20 and they wouldn't have been welcome at the New Year's party which is a shame.
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 07:27 AM

Mine don't drink yet, but I can see that would be a problem for a 20-year old at New Year's Eve.