Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Trip Report I Just Got Back From the Cross Bronx Expressway (West)

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:23 PM
Maritza

As I sat in bumper to bumper traffic I looked around thought what a great way to make new friends. The hairy man in the gas guzzling SUV to the left of me was picking his nose. After he looked at the prize he picked he rolled it into a ball between his thumb and index finger and then flicked it away. To my right in a Mercedes was a young woman who was twirling her bleached blonde hair around her index finger until it knotted so tight she couldn't pull her finger free to keep up with the slow flow of traffic. If you looked up at the extension you could see McDonald's golden arches and it's a must see. There's also a gas station and near that a man selling bikes, pictures, and toys. Oh yeah and if you keep going you'll pass a police station on the left and a seafood restaurant on the right. Can't wait to go to the 60 minute photo place and get my pictures developed.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Angelo

Let me know how it is going East. Fugetaboutit.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:32 PM
hubby

And then you found out your next stop was Kuwait!

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:36 PM
al

Did you know the CBE was completed in the early 60s?? You'd never know it today. Looks like a relic from the 30s.
One of the worst, if not the worst, road in the NYC area.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:49 PM
jill

You can avoid the CBE if you're heading to points north by taking the Henry Hudson (Rt. 9) north, PAST the GWB exit and then head east on either the Saw Mill or Cross Country Expressway.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:51 PM
yyy

Uh, Jill, does the term "sarcasm" mean anything to you?

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 12:59 PM
Jim

I can't believe it was built in the 60's. My back hurts just thinking about driving on it.

Another awful NY highway is the Belt Parkway. It doesn't matter what time of day or night it is, the Belt is backed up. At 3:45 on a Tuesday morning you're in bumper to bumper traffic.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 01:50 PM
JKNYer

Can you think of 1 NY highway that doesn't suck for one reason or another?
MY personal Least favorite, is the beginning of the Grand Central Pkwy from the BQE to the Whitestone Expwy - it is always screwed up with barriers and what-not.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 02:23 PM
al

For anyone interested, there's a website, www.nycroads.com, that gives a history of the roads and bridges, and you can go to www.nycroads.com/roads/cross-bronx for specific info on the CBE.

Old Jun 25th, 2002, 04:11 PM
suzanne

The Cross Bronx is BAD. Surprised you didn't mention the potholes (well maybe they didn't affect you, traveling at such a slow speed).

The BQE is worse though. Take the Cross Bronx, and make it narrower and windier. The BQE is the reason I gave away my car. Too much frustration!