Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Trip report- Heceta Head Lighthouse B&B Oregon (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/trip-report-heceta-head-lighthouse-b-and-b-oregon-764953/)

sunbum1944 Feb 1st, 2009 10:48 AM

Trip report- Heceta Head Lighthouse B&B Oregon

Had such a nice time at this B&B on the Oregon coast, I had to share.

The Heceta Head lighthouse is one of the most beautiful spots on the Oregon Coast. The lighthouse keepers house is available as a B&B and a group of us rented it this weekend.

The rooms were nicely appointed, ours had a fabulous view of the ocean and the sounds of the waves crashing on the rocks all night long.

We had use of the whole house so we bought fresh crab in town and had a crabfest Friday night which we prepared ourselves in the available kitchen.

After dinner we walked up the hill to the lighthouse in the dark and enjoyed watching the lights beaming out to sea and reflecting off the trees behind the lighthouse. It was really magical.

The weather at the coast was fabulous this weekend with blue skies and no wind so we did several hikes down to the beach and some of the group went golfing. There is a great front porch with adirondack chairs for viewing the ocean and lots of warm blankets to cover up with if it gets kind of chilly.

Next am were were served a seven course breakfast which was fabulous!! Following that, there was a tour of the lighthouse available.
Some of us took a great hike which starts right behind the lighthouse and takes you down (but lots of ups to this trail too) to a beautiful beach only accessible by walking in.

I have lived in Oregon for years and this is the first time I have stayed here and can't wait to do it again. I think our group is going to consider doing this as an annual event.

I highly recommend this as a stop on the Oregon coast for both visitors and locals. And, if it turns out you do not have as fabulous weather as we did, they have lots of games, books, music and a piano for your entertainment- plus its just a short drive into Florence.

It was really a fun place to stay.

Virgogirl Feb 1st, 2009 09:12 PM

That sounds really nice! Thanks for posting. By the way, I thought I saw the lighthouse on the Travel Channel, saying it was supposedly haunted?

sunbum1944 Feb 2nd, 2009 11:44 AM

There is supposed to be a ghost there but she didn't bother any of us.

We even tried to talk to her through a Oiji board - but she was not feeling very communicative over the weekend.

kimamom Feb 2nd, 2009 11:47 AM

Sounds like a fun place, thanks for sharing your travels with us! ***kim*** ((l))

beachbum Feb 2nd, 2009 12:04 PM

Hmmmm..... sunbum, you've now got me second-thinking reservations at Overleaf Lodge in a couple weeks. I've never stayed at the Lighthouse B&B either, but have always thought it would be a neat thing to do. Hmmm..... Wonder if they still have rooms over Valentine's Day weekend.

Thanks for the report! Besides the ghost, does the B&B have other permanent residents?

sunbum1944 Feb 2nd, 2009 12:16 PM

Dont know about the rooms over Valentines day but it would be a nice place to take your sweetie.

I believe there is caretaker who lives in an apt in the basement - they were only around to check us in and then we never saw them again.

We stayed in the Mariner 1 room which had great views and faced the ocean - not sure but I think only Mariner 1 and Mariner 2 have the ocean views.

Disappointed Rue ( the ghost ) wouldnt talk to us - maybe you will have better luck.

Fodorite018 Feb 2nd, 2009 12:26 PM

Sounds like a good fit for your group:) I would want to be like you and not experience Rue though, lol. Like at the Del, we have never seen the ghost and that is a good thing. Nice to know of another good place on the coast.

beachbum Feb 2nd, 2009 06:11 PM

Website says there's still one room available for Valentine's weekend, and it comes with a five-course dinner package. Hmmm.....

Sunbum, can you conjure up some of that fabulous weather with your Ouija Board? I think we'd prefer Overleaf if it's storming, but that night time walk up to the lighthouse..... Hmmm....

Help, someone!

cmcfong Feb 21st, 2009 11:37 AM

Thanks for the report. I have added this property to my list...ever growing list!