Trip Report- Chicago

Sep 12th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Original Poster

Trip Report- Chicago

This is a report on the continuation of our trip, arriving from New York City- I posted that report separately. We arrived on Tuesday Sept 5 early afternoon, and made our way to Michigan Avenue, to the Hilton Suites (formerly Doubletree), which worked pretty well for husband, 20 yr old daughter, and me. 2 separate sleeping areas required, too bad there’s only 1 bathroom! Walked a bit on the Magnificent Mile, admiring all the shops (although most of them you can see in any major city). First thing was a stop at Gino’s for the famous Chicago deep dish pizza- waited 40 minutes for the pizza to cook, which we never do! Dare I say we were disappointed? Oh well, now at least we’ve had it… Later that evening we went to the (almost) top of the John Hancock Building- Signature Lounge- for drinks and snacks- what a view- it was clear and we got a window table- fantastic.

Wednesday- nice walk along the lake front (daughter busy visiting U of Chicago), sandwiches for lunch from La Brea Bakery, which is kind of funny since we’re from Southern California! Met up with aunt and uncle from the North Shore- short visit to Art Institute, tour of Millenium Park- the most beautiful pedestrian bridge I’ve ever seen!- the Bean- great for photo session, then dinner at Bistro 110- nice place, but hard to talk across the table, for the noise.

Thursday- King Tut exhibit- the main reason we stopped in Chicago on the way home- actually kind of a disappointment after all the Egyptian things we saw at the Brooklyn Museum, the Met, and the Oriental Institute Museum my daughter visited at the Univ of Chicago. Still, it would be interesting for the general public. Went on to an afternoon at the Art Institute- so much there that after several hours you still haven’t seen it all- saw 2 Matisses that I couldn’t believe- what an incredible museum. Dinner at Drake Hotel- we promised friends we would go there- at the Cape Cod Room- wow, what a transport back in time- but it was a nice dinner, even though not at all “au courant”.

Friday- a bit more window shopping on Mag Mile (daughter had to check out the Chicago H&M, I stopped at the RL store), then after a sandwich for lunch- from Au Bon Pain- don’t laugh, located in the Northwestern Medical Bldg- we went on an Architectural Boat tour- the main thing that I wanted to do- up and around the various waterways, with a running commentary of the buildings we passed- quite informative. But lucky that even though it was warm, we had partly cloudy skies- if it had been full sun the whole time, it would have been uncomfortable. Then off to the airport for an early evening flight out- we made it late to maximize time in the city. On the way, the cab driver mentioned that the weather was unusually warm- normally it would be time for heavier clothes- and here we thought this gorgeous weather was typical for September!
So thanks to all of you who contributed ideas for our trip- we had a wonderful time!
Sep 12th, 2006, 09:22 AM

Nice report. I remember being a little disappointed in the Art Museum after going to New York - however I got excited when I realized that all of the panitings from the game Masterpiece were from there.

Does anybody else remember that game?

We'll be in Chicago the next two weekends. I'm going to see if I can drag everyone out for a walk downtown. Unfortunately, we'll have to drive.
Sep 13th, 2006, 10:19 PM

My MIL has that game. We recently played it. MIL, SIL, BIL, and DH! I did not realize that ALL the paintings were in the Art Institute. (My MIL is an artist. She paints oils.) I'll have to take another look at the game AND the Institute!

Search this Thread