Trip Report: Bed and Breakfast/Mystery Dinner in Kentucky at Maple Hill Manor

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We recently visited the historic Maple Hill Manor in Springfield, KY to celebrate New Year's Eve and my husband's 30th birthday.

I first called in February to inquire about availability, as we wanted to do a full house rental and the murder mystery dinner party advertised on the Manor's website (www.maplehillmanor.com). From that first phone call on, I was always very impressed with the professionalism and organization of the innkeepers, Todd and Tyler. The party was extremely easy to plan. A month or two prior to the event, Todd mailed me a list of characters and dinner options. They even accommodated a last minute request I made the week of the party for a birthday cake.

On the day of the gathering, the directions provided on the Manor's website made it very easy to find. When we arrived we were greeted on the porch and shown around the home. The pictures do not do it justice! The home is beautifully furnished and well maintained. The rooms (7 guest rooms and 7 bath rooms) were just as described.

As our friends arrived they all raved about the beauty of the home and location. The Manor is located on 14 picturesque acres. You feel "away from it all" and relaxed in the historic home. The main gathering rooms—the parlor, main hall, and dining room—were all perfect for our group to mingle and socialize.

We were there to play one of their murder mystery games over dinner (“1900s Fox Hunt Royal Reception”). The gathering was a surprise for my husband, and the house has a great floor plan for a surprise party. When he arrived, I took him to our room which is the one room in the house with a separate exterior entrance. This way, he had no way to know that our friends were already in the home. When it came time for the surprise to be revealed, we used the interior entrance (through another guest room) to connect to the second floor, and then he walked down the floating spiral staircase. As he turned the corner on the staircase, everyone shouted “surprise!” and began to sing happy birthday. He was so surprised that it took him a few minutes to realize that the people gathered were actually his friends (because they were dressed in their 1900-period costumes).

The game and dinner were a blast! Todd did a great job of explaining the logistics of the game. And both he and Tyler are fabulous cooks and hosts. We never wanted for anything (drinks were always replenished), and we had more than enough to eat. Not only did the food taste delicious (we especially loved their house salad dressing), but it also had wonderful presentation.

After the game, we all gathered in the parlor to watch the ball drop, socialize, and play other games (the Manor has a collection of games, music, movies/DVDs, etc. that you are welcome to use). Todd even made us fresh pots of coffee before they retired for the evening.

Once everyone retreated to their rooms, we were able to enjoy the quality accommodations at the Manor. Usually I do not sleep well away from home (I am particular about my mattresses and pillows!), but my husband and I slept soundly in “The McElroy Honeymoon Hideaway” room which is complete with a gas fireplace and Jacuzzi tub.

The next morning, as we came downstairs, we were greeted with the smells of breakfast and music in the dining room. Once again, it was a great time of fellowship as our group of thirteen was all able to comfortably gather around the large dining table. Breakfast was a feast (we all didn’t eat again until later that evening when we returned home!). We enjoyed tasty bacon and homemade pancakes, along with scrambled eggs and cheesy hash browns (water, juice, and fresh brewed coffee were also served).

Our experience at Maple Hill Manor exceeded all my expectations. We were there with a group of friends we have met while in graduate school (we will all soon be moving in separate directions). Before we had even left the Manor, talk began about having reunions and gatherings here in coming years. This will be such a perfect place to reconnect and relax while away from all.

Again, I can’t say enough about the innkeepers, Todd and Tyler. They were extremely personable and constantly went above and beyond in terms of service and hospitality. They have superb attention to detail and seem to have thought of everything (rooms have magazines, soaps, toothpaste, make-up remover tissues, candles, reading lights, clock radios, etc.). I cannot think of a single thing that we were not pleased with.

We definitely look forward to returning for another (hopefully longer) stay!
Old Jan 2nd, 2005, 03:51 PM
bamakelly

Great report! Thanks for the info!

Old Jul 4th, 2005, 06:42 PM
rex

A note of appreciation to August04 for this post - - althought we live scarcely an hour away (on the Indiana side of Louisville), I can't guess how we wouls/could have heard about this place, and it made for an excellent overnight getaway for us this past Saturday night.

We didn't go for a Mystery Dinner night, and I don't have much to add to the excellent description already posted here.

I will reiterate comments about breakfast, since I have never really experienced this at a B&B (does this mean that I need to stay at more?) - - not only is it possible to seat all the guests at once at the large dining table - - it's (sorta) the only choice!

Well, they would have offered us the choice to eat earlier, or later than the "group breakfast" at 9 am. But it's clear that this is their preference. We arrived at about 8:50, and they were setting the table, and did NOT offer us to "take a seat", until they were fully ready to serve everyone. Interesting.

My wife and I split opinions a little bit on how good the breakfast was (but I am so, SO jaded); it certainly was fine, and copious!

But it did lead me to understand a key part of the success of this place - - since there is only o much entertainment they can offer, the innkeepers wisely count on the guests to entertain each other, It actually works, in my opinion.

Recommended without hesitation.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 11:21 AM

August04 what a lovely report.
Old Aug 25th, 2005, 11:47 AM

August04, thank you for your report. This sounds like a lovely B&B. My husband and I are looking to get away for a weekend in October, and we are seriously contemplating staying at the Maple Hill Manor. Coming from St. Louis, it shouldn't be too far of a drive, perfect for a weekend getaway.

Thanks again!
Tracy
Old Aug 26th, 2005, 10:08 AM

Thanks for the report 04. We are planning to stay at Maple Hill and after reading your post I am looking forward with anticipation.