Kehei and/or Lahaina restaurants

Old Aug 16th, 2014, 11:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kehei and/or Lahaina restaurants

I'll be in Maui for 10 days in January and am trying to plan a few things in advance. The hardest to know about is the decent restaurants or good and inexpensive local ones. I'll be in the Kehei area so mainly looking at places to eat there.....some reasonable and one or two for a special night out ( willing to spend $100-150). Also appreciate any recommendations for dinner in Lahaina , preferably on the water, and if possible one that you can walk in without reservations. Many thanks for suggestions and help.
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 11:31 AM

We enjoy Kimos in Lahaina. January is high season, so if you want to SEE the water from your table you would need to reserve ahead, but it depends upon what time and what day of the week as well.

If you like Japanese cuisine and can get in for the early bird special, Sansei in Kihei is a great deal. They open at 5:15 and the line starts forming well before. You need to have ordered by 6:00 to get the deal. I think it is 50% off, but I may be wrong.

Coconuts Fish Cafe in Kihei has good fish tacos and daily fish specials that are good. Very casual and very little ambience, but it is a good deal for what you get.

You can eat relatively cheaply (for Maui) at Monkey Pod Kitchen during happy hour, but it can get packed and noisy. The food is good.

The last time we went I researched a bit on yelp.com and found some new places that I had not heard of before.
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 12:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mala was excellent, but you need a reservation and need to request an water front table. Next door is their sister place, a little lower key and casual.

http://www.malaoceantavern.com

We did not eat here, but our neighbors at the condo complex loved Aloha Mixed Plate for breakfast.
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 02:50 PM

Two South Maui standby's with *views* are Five Palms in the Mana Kai condo-tel in South Kihei and Gannon's on a golf course above Wailea. Both are pretty venues, one right on Keawakapu Beach and the other with a panoramic view out over Wailea. Both serve B,L,D, indoors or outside. Neither is very spendy.

On Maui my DH and I often split an entree or I just get an appetizer. Portions seem huge. Coconut's in the Azeka Place mall in central Kihei is eat-in or carry-out. No table service, but the 'tables' are 'surfboards'. ("Coconut" is the owner's cat, BTW.)
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 06:05 PM

It's been some years but Pacificos in Lahaina used to be good.

Also, Buzz' Wharf at Malaeea Bay.
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 06:29 PM

hopingtotravel, unfortunately Buzz's Wharf is closed.
Old Aug 16th, 2014, 06:58 PM

Oh no! Was this from tidal waves, etc? We went there off and on over a 20 year period.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 08:10 AM

Food and service at Buzz's went downhill. I hope something better will open there; pretty location. It's a little hard to do business there, as it's not 'near' much. The Waterfront is no more, either.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 10:49 AM

Another recommendation for fish tacos at Coconuts Fish Cafe. Also another small local place across the road from Coconuts is Vietnamese Cuisine. I always like Roy's for a special night out.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 02:01 PM

Lahaina Grill is great food, but it's not on the water. Mala's sister restaurant (the casual side) is on the water, so that's nice, but the food was nothing to write home about. We enjoyed Star Noodle (went twice) but again no view.

If you're out for breakfast in Kihei, Kihei Kaffee is great (pancakes and french toast). So is the Gazebo in Napili, but not worth the long wait.
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 08:08 PM

We had lunch at Five Palms and really enjoyed it. My relatives raved about Longhi's in Wailea; we were snorkeling so didn't eat there with them.

Lee Ann
Old Aug 17th, 2014, 11:06 PM

I would not recommend Aloha Mixed Plate. The food was not nice at all. Although it has been a couple years since we were in Maui, the TA reviews suggest that things have not improved at AMP. Enjoyed Mala very much & you definitely need a reservation if you want a table outside on the waterfront.

We enjoyed the Thai Chef in Lahaina, very inexpensive. Gerard's which is at the Plantation Inn B&B. Not seafront but very good food. Ate couple times at Lahaina Coolers, liked it very much, not seafront, sometimes you get better food when the restaurant location is not as desirable.
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 05:29 AM

Food-wise I think Lahaina Grill had the best food in the Kaanapali area, but again, no view and it's expensive. Kimos had a very nice view, and it's cheaper, but don't expect any exciting food. It's standard but solid. Have heard great things about Honu in Lahaina as well, and there is a view from there. Roy's and Hula Grill in Kaanapali have good food. I liked the food better at Roy's but Hula Grill had a fabulous beach side ambiance.

for splurge-y meals, in addition to the aforementioned Lahaina Grill - how about Mama's Fish House, Merrimans in Kapalua or one of the nice restaurants in Wailea, Morimoto, Capische?, Nick's Fishmarket, Amasia...there are many options everywhere!

In Kihei, we really love Kihei Caffe for breakfast - cheap and delicious. Great sushi at Sushi Paradise at excellent prices. I also recommend Monkeypod for some good eats, and at happy hour, there are a lot of half priced apps and pizza. Get some shave ice at one of the Ululani's or Local Boys shops in both west (lahaina) and south maui (kihei).

I also use Yelp a lot when visiting Hawaii. You can read my Maui list here: http://www.yelp.com/list/maui-wowee-...?revs_start=40
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 08:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
>

We had an excellent meal at Lahaina Grill. I would recommend it (even given your preference for a water view).
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 11:40 AM

So is Pacificos at Lahaina gone also?
Old Aug 18th, 2014, 04:41 PM

No, Pacific'O is still there.

Their sister restaurant I'O closed a couple of years ago though.
Old Aug 26th, 2014, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to all who responded here. I think I will have a few ideas to go on and that certainly helps. Mahalo !