College Tour in Boston, need some recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking my son to visit Tufts, Boston College, Northeastern, and Boston University. I was thinking about staying at the Marriott Long Wharf but I am not familiar with Boston and surrounding areas. We are thinking to tour BU and Northeastern on one day and Tufts and BC on another day. Would it be easier to drive or use mass transit. Looking at the map is seems that getting to Tufts would be a long train ride. Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help.
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 08:03 PM
cw

You can get to BC, Northeastern, and BU on the Green Line subway (B and E branches). Tufts is a walk from the Red Line or there is a bus.

You could rent a car for one day and tour BC and Tufts. Otherwise having a car in Boston adds expensive parking rates. The Marriott Long Wharf is on the harbor and is an easy walk to the North End (Italian restaurants), Faneuil Hall, and the Freedom Trail. There are also a couple of nearby car rental agencies at 270 Atlantic Ave.

It's next door to Aquarium Station on the Blue Line from the airport, and you can transfer from the Blue Line to the Green Line at Government Center to go to BU and Northeastern. So a good location and a nice place to stay.

For route planning use www.mbta.com or the public transportation option on Google maps.

Take notes so the details won't get blurry from seeing four schools in two days. Good luck.
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 01:01 AM

Renting a car to see BC and/or Tufts is more efficient. Taking the MBTA will give your son a more realistic feel of transportation in Boston area. Or use Uber - it works well in Boston.

Marriott Long Wharf is a wonderful hotel. If the prices give you heart failure, check out Boston Park Plaza - equally good location, not quite as nice, but a credible hotel that is usually significantly less expensive.

Try to enjoy to bittersweet time of looking at colleges.
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 05:33 AM

Marriott Long Wharf great location to Fanueil Hall and North End. You do not need a rental car. Using the MBTA is easy and faster than driving through the city. Uber will be helpful to schools not close to the MBTA. I would take the MBTA as far as you can then uber the rest of the way. Northeastern and Boston University will be with in walking distance to the MBTA.

Hotels located in Copley Square is another good area I think you would enjoy.

Good Luck!
Old Jul 20th, 2016, 05:49 AM
cw

BC is also right on the subway line (the end of the Boston College branch). Tufts is the outlier here, but taking public transportation from BC to Tufts will take time better spent at the two schools.