Reload this Page >

trip ideas for family summer vacation with 6month old

Old Nov 13th, 2003, 08:15 AM
slb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are looking for some trip ideas for a one week summer vacation for a family that will have a new addition this winter! It needs to be a car trip (we are thinking about flying to Disney Wrld next winter). We live in eastern ND and have done Yelllowstone, Colorado, and Mt Rushmore in the past few years. Our sons are 12 and 8. I am thinking a more relaxing vacation with some fun activities for our sons. One of our ideas has been Upper Michigan. What is realistic with an infant. It has been a few years since we travleled with one!! Any ideas would be great!
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 09:43 AM

I'd look at either Grand Traverse in Northern Michigan or Gull Lake near Brainerd Minnesota. Both have family oriented, cottage or condo style resorts with plenty of activities for the older boys - golf, tennis, hiking, biking, tubing, swimming, etc. Most of the resorts will have a kids program if they are into that; indoor and/or outdoor pools, beaches, etc. You can also get an optional meal plan so that they cooking is off your hands. However, the cottage style resorts will also have kitchens with fridges for formula, snacks, etc.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 11:47 AM
slb
Original Poster

Thanks for the response! We would like to skip Minnesota, we spend alot of time there camping since we are so close. We would really like to see a area that is new to us. Any more ideas?!!
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 01:06 PM

How about Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri? Don't know how long you want to drive but that is an option. Another might be Williamsburg, Virginia or the smokey mountains - Tennessee like Gatlinburg, Calloway Gardens outside of Atlanta, Rocking Horse Ranch in upstate New York, Condo at Hilton Head or Myrtle Beach, Bishop's Lodge in Santa Fe, Hill Country outside Austin, Tx could also be nice but you're looking at long drives.
Old Nov 13th, 2003, 01:16 PM

You can do a search for Northern Michigan, I believe and get some info. I would highly recommend it! It's relaxing but there is always something to do. You can also go to www.leelanau.com and get info on rentals, dining, attractions, etc. I think if you also do a google search on Leelanau County you can get some links. I would advise that you stay in either Leelanau County or near Petoskey. If you have any other questions, let me know!
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 04:04 AM

You might consider vacationing at a YMCA camp for a range of structured activities for your two sons. My first choice would be the YMCA of the Rockies, but since you already have been to Colorado, here's a site for you to explore: www.stwmd.com/y-camps.php
Old Nov 14th, 2003, 07:13 AM
ceg

If you are thinking of Michigan I would recommend Crystal Mountain resort in Thompsonville. We went there when our children were small and stayed in a condo. It is beautiful and nicely located. It is a ski resort in the winter and a golf resort in the summer. The location allowed us to go to Lake Michigan towns such as Empire(the dunes) and Frankfort for day trips. Your sons may enjoy rafting (more like floating)the river nearby.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 08:03 AM

I'd look into a good dude ranch, one that's like a nice resort where you can relax with the baby in pleasant surroundings while the boys are out having fun. We went to one in Bandera TX a few years ago and my children loved every minute of it--really hated to leave. There are plenty scattered throughout the northern Rockies.
Old Nov 15th, 2003, 11:55 AM

Linda0515 - which dude ranch?