Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   trip choice: san francisco vs. st.louis (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/trip-choice-san-francisco-vs-st-louis-604464/)

mrace Apr 2nd, 2006 09:30 AM

trip choice: san francisco vs. st.louis

I know at first glance, this seems like a ridiculous question, so let me explain. Several years ago I attended a conference in San Francisco and absolutely loved the city. I managed to see: GG Park, Muir Woods, Sausalito, F.Wharf, Chinatown, North Beach. This year I have a choice of returning to SF in early September or going, for the first time, to St.Louis in mid October. On the one hand, I would love to explore a new city, but it's difficult to pass up an opportunity to return to a great destination like SF. I'd welcome some input from you seasoned Fodorites, at the risk of sounding ridiculous.

Curious Apr 2nd, 2006 11:14 AM

You've got to be kidding!! If you choose St. Louis, bring your level. That area is where all level's are set to zero.

Curious

happytrailstoyou Apr 2nd, 2006 11:19 AM

You answered your own question. On your next trip to SF, drive down Highway 1--at least as far as Santa Cruz.

J_Correa Apr 2nd, 2006 11:26 AM

I agree with the others, come to SF and explore more of the city and/or the surrounding area. There is an incredible amount to see here.

Neopolitan Apr 2nd, 2006 11:59 AM

OK, I have no connection with St. Louis, but I might go for it. I think there is a lot to be said for going to a new place. I love big cities and theatre and I could go to New York every opportunity I get, but finally we decided to go to Chicago once instead and guess what -- we had a wonderful time and I'm glad we did. I still don't like Chicago half as much as New York, but I had a great time and glad I went.

I don't think picking St. Louis means you think it's a "better" place than San Francisco -- it just is something different. And frankly fall (mid October) in St. Louis could be wonderful. I can't remember the last time I walked through piles of leaves and maybe smelled them burning (if they're still allowed to do that).

You've left off one detail though. How long are these trips? If we're talking about a couple of days, I say go ahead and go to St. Louis. If you have two weeks, forget everything I said and head back to San Francisco.

yk Apr 2nd, 2006 12:06 PM

It does seem like a ridiculous question, and I probably will vote for SF also. But, St Louis has its charm, and is not as dull as some others may think. We went to St Louis last month for a 3-day trip and had a good time, though we probably will run out of things to do if we stay longer. If you're interested to read what we did, here's a link to my trip report:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34770947

SandyBrit Apr 2nd, 2006 01:12 PM

mrace

Well said Neoplolitan. Agree you need to come back and tell us how long is your planned October trip. Why SF or St. Louis - are these long weekends added on to a business trip?

St. Louis can be delightful in October and certainly more than enough to do for a few days.

Do take the time to read the St. Louis trip report by yk - it was very well done.

Sandy

bbqboy Apr 2nd, 2006 02:13 PM

Bay Area. Best time of the year, weather wise.
I love St. Louis, but there's so much to experience in SF, you gotta' go.

TKT Apr 2nd, 2006 02:28 PM

I loved the St. Louis Art Museum and found many parts of it charming. Some neighborhoods are very interesting. However, downtown is ugly and dull. You are not going to have a Chicago like experience. If you are looking for an interesting city experience, there are at least 20 places better than St. Louis.

melba Apr 2nd, 2006 02:31 PM

Obviously, the previous posters have not had the opportunity to spend time in St. Louis. It would be a great place to visit in the fall. The foliage is beautiful. Every time I visit a new place and I come home to St. Louis, I thank God I live in one of the most beautiful places in the United States. Some of the activites I would suggest are: Grant's Farm, the Arch, Union Station, The award winning St. Louis Zoo and Forest Park, The Hill for great Italian food, the Busch Bewery tour, The Muny outdoor theatre, and The Fox Theatre. If you are a history buff you must visit St. Charles, the old Courthouse, and the St. Louis Cathedral. Meramec Caverns is about 50 mi southwest of St. Louis. The Missouri wine country is also a short drive located on the scenic Missouri River Bluffs. S.F is a nice place to visit, but St. Louis has its own charm and history. Come see for yourself.

MikeT Apr 2nd, 2006 03:07 PM

St. Louis is also going to be SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper. Who can't love SF, but if you don't want something that large and hectic, St. Louis is a lovely option. The NYT just did a 36-Hours in St. Louis article on March 31. Lots of good ideas.

There's even a wine region. It's not as good as Napa or Sonoma, but the wineries are quaint and rural feeling, overlooking the bluffs of the Missouri River

trippinkpj Apr 2nd, 2006 03:44 PM

Great time of year in SF. Go for it, some day you'll make it to St. Louis. Me too, but it's not on the top of my list. Melba's post is slightly tempting though. :-)

mrace Apr 2nd, 2006 05:07 PM

These trips are tied in with work conferences, so either would be approx. 4 days.

keli22o Apr 20th, 2006 08:11 AM

I have been to both cities and thankfully was only in St. Louis for one full day. I thought it was horrid. So boring if you are from a big city. SF is wonderful, great food, beautiful scenery, and wine country is very near. Don't waste your time in St. L, but if you do go have toasted ravioli!

JJ5 Apr 20th, 2006 09:01 AM

Well, I'm about 80% sure that the St. Louis Cardinals are going to be in the playoffs in Oct. AND that this time they will be hosting a World Series this year. And it will all happen in October.

And that, in a total baseball town, is a factor to consider. If you like baseball and want to feel a happening- go for it.

Don't get me wrong, a SF visit is fun and I've done one several times. But it is not "the City" to me in any sense, as it is to those san franciscophiles on these boards. And I have had a totally unboring experience of St. Louis and its surrounds twice, and will return at any chance I have for a repeat.

This October St. Louis is going to be rocking.

jayne1973 Apr 20th, 2006 09:22 AM

Of course it's unfair to compare the two, but I will say that when we decided on a train trip to St. Louis in January, I was not particularly thrilled. However, I really enjoyed the city and the people were very friendly. If I were in your shoes, I'd probably go back to San Francisco, but would definitely plan to see St. Louis on its own merits.

mrace Apr 21st, 2006 06:17 PM

ok, it looks like I'll be heading back to San Francisco, but in mid October rather than early September. Ironically, these are almost the exact dates that I would have done in St. Louis! Thanks for all your input!