Treating ourselves in Portland; Day spa/Hotel

Old Apr 27th, 2004, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Treating ourselves in Portland; Day spa/Hotel

Looking for a place to pamper ourselves for a three day weekend in Portland. Luxurious hotel with spa is preferred. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 03:51 PM

The River Place Hotel is our favorite place to stay in Portland. www.riverplacehotel.com It is a four diamond hotel, located directly on the waterfront. There is not a spa on the property, but I'm sure the concierge could direct you to a nice one in Portland.

You will have access to the athletic club which has a very nice pool, jacuzzi, weight room, etc. and there is a great restaurant, Lucere on the property. The carriage rides leave right outside from the front of the hotel, which is a really fun way to see Portland.

Have a great time in Portland! ***kim***
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:18 PM

Last weekend we stayed at 5th Avenue Suites (a Kimpton hotel) and loved our big room. They have a great central location and they may have a spa. Give them a call.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:37 PM

Fifth Avenue Suites does have a spa adjacent to the hotel which is an Aveda Lifestyle spa. The website also says the hotel stocks with Aveda products, which is the only thing I will use on my hair. It sounds like the perfect place for you.

Tho not on the waterfront, which we like, the Fifth Avenue Suites is only two blocks from the Pioneer Place, which we always hit while in Portland. ***kim***
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Hey jimshep...I was there last weekend too...did we pass in the lobby?

There is an Aveda spa in the Hotel. I didn't have time to partake, but I did walk into their lobby and wish I had time to stay.

I just wrote a trip report on my stay at the 5th Ave Suites and the Westin. (see "Quick trip report: Portland and Washington"). I preferred the 5th Ave over the Westin and also over a recent stay at the Heathman.

All were nice, had very similar rooms, and were in the same general area but the valet parking is a hassle at the Westin, and the Heathman overbilled me. (and then the Res Mgr was a total jerk about it )

If you are going before the end of May, check out the "Portland Big Deal" hotel packages on the POVA.com (Portland Or Visitors Assoc) web site. Most hotels are $129 and include breakfast or dining credits and free parking!

My girlfriend in Portland loves the Avalon Hotel & Spa. It isn't in downtown, but is about 5 minutes south right on the river. They have free car service into downtown if you don't want to bother driving. We ate at The Rivers restaurant which is adjacent to the hotel. Our meals and wine were fabulous, and it was really nice to watch all the traffic on the water.
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 04:55 PM

Riverplace Hotel is a wonderful place to stay, but if you'd prefer a luxurious hotel with spa, have you checked out Avalon Hotel & Spa? It's also right on the Willamette River overlooking a nature preserve on the outskirts of downtown Portland. The only Oregon hotel that's a member of Small Luxury Hotels of the World and winner of the Mobil Travel Guide 2004 America's Best Hotels and Resort Spas award, according to their website, avalonhotelandspa.com. I moved away from this area just before it was completed, so I haven't stayed there, but friends who have gone tell me it's so nice. Complimentary towncar provided for discovering Portland. Enjoy your search and trip.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas! This website is the best resource ever. I'll check out all places suggested and give a report after the trip next month.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 09:55 AM

You'll love Portland, Bunny. We hope to spend a few days there in June. I hope you get to visit the Rose Gardens, the zoo, shop at Pioneer Place, do the Saturday market and walk the waterfront.

A few hours on Sauvie Island is also fun if you like to pick your own flowers and see some beautiful farmland. There a few beaches there also, I believe Collins is clothing optional. Have a great time! ***kim***