Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Travelocity, Cheaptickets, Orbitz, or Airline website? Which is best? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/travelocity-cheaptickets-orbitz-or-airline-website-which-is-best-794589/)

gracie Jul 9th, 2009 07:06 AM

Travelocity, Cheaptickets, Orbitz, or Airline website? Which is best?

It has been a few years since DH and I have flown. And, I have been away from this forum for quite some time, so I no longer know the latest in travel issues. In the past, we have purchased airline tickets from Cheaptickets and Travelocity and directly form the airline. What would you recommend we do now? The prices are all the same. Any advantage to using one form of purchase over the other? Thanks for you help.

kywood1955 Jul 9th, 2009 07:28 AM

I typically use travelocity. Seems as though for the places we go, they have the best routes and/or prices. I then check the airlines to see if they have the same or better deal as some of the consolidators have fees. I also check the cancellation, change and refund policies. You might also want to check expedia. Many times I just check them all to see what's best for us. I'm not sure if this helps other than just check everything for the best for you. Glad you and hubby are traveling again!

tcreath Jul 9th, 2009 08:30 AM

I always check most of the sites but end up purchasing directly through the airline if possible.

Tracy

montereybob Jul 9th, 2009 08:57 AM

I found that it is best to follow tcreath's procedure. It is much easier to get refunds and make changes when you book directly through the airlines and for the past several years I've found usually the airline gives me the same price as the travel sites.

lcuy Jul 9th, 2009 09:58 AM

Kayak.com will compare cheapticckets, Orbitz, and the airline websites. Once you chose an itinerary, it will send you directly to the seller's website. Never hurts to verify there isn't something better on the airlines own website (Not enetering from Kayak or similar).

Like monterybob, L much prefer having airline tix issued by the airline in case of changes or delays.

dfr4848 Jul 10th, 2009 04:41 AM

Yes, kayak.com will allow you to compare with the other sites which is one reason I like them. However, note that some of these sites do NOT include all airlines, like Southwest. You'll have to go directly to Southwest's site to get their fares [southwest.com].

Like others, if price is the same I also much prefer to buy directly from the airlines for the reasons mentioned.

doug_stallings Jul 10th, 2009 05:19 AM

There's no advantage to any web site unless you are able to find a cheaper ticket through it. Use a variety of web sites to compare prices; Kayak is a good tool for that purpose. Then book however you like. (It's occasionally cheaper to book directly on the airline's own web site, but not always.)

gracie Jul 10th, 2009 06:35 AM

Thank you for all your replies. Right now, it is looking like the prices on Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc are the same as the airline price. We live in Panama City, FL and have few choices if we fly out of Panama City. Delta through Atlanta or NWA through Memphis.

diveslot100 Jan 30th, 2010 06:21 AM

Echoing the preference to book directly w/airlines - for additional reason of actually getting the seats you select. All recent seat preferences (Travelocity) on my flights to/from 2 Arizona destinations were changed when I actually checked in for the first leg of US Airways flights. Of course, at this point months later, seat selection was limited. This could be an issue only w/ US Air, but something to watch for. Good luck.

PaulRabe Jan 30th, 2010 10:42 AM

I should some mention BIG advantages of Kayak -- flexible searching and filters. Since I regularly fly between the coasts, this site can save me BIG money to know what would happen if I change my travel dates a day or two, or fly out of a different airport. With Kayak, I can ask a question like, "How much to fly out of any New York City airport and any Los Angeles airport, on any date between the 16th and the 20th; and then return on either the 27th or the 28th?" You can also filter out suggestions in which you have no interest, like "no red-eye flights" or "no flights out of LaGuardia."

After Kayak helps me zero on the best days and the best airlines, I then invariably go to the airline site itself, get all the details (to ensure no unpleasent surprises), and book there. Of course, I also check Southwest.