Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Travelling with a pet in new york (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/travelling-with-a-pet-in-new-york-460912/)

tsar79 Jul 19th, 2004 11:03 AM

Travelling with a pet in new york

Has anyone travelled with their dog to NYC? I am travelling with my 8 months miniature schnauzer to NYC. It took me some time to find a pet friendly hotel in manhattan and i bought fodor's book: See it Fodor's new york city but i couldnt find anywhere in the book where it said whether pets are allowed in the attractions (like the statue of liberty, museums, etc)
I will be carrying my dog in my backpack on my back.
I am travelling the first week of august for a week. I would really appreciate it if someone has answers or helpful tips for me as early as possible. Thank you for all that reply (if anyone) in advance,
Sarah

GoTravel Jul 19th, 2004 11:07 AM

Just sneak the dog in the attractions.

Make sure you clean up any doggy surprises.

tsar79 Jul 19th, 2004 11:10 AM

The dog is 18lbs and i am 100. So no where to hide the little one!

obxgirl Jul 19th, 2004 11:22 AM

Only service animals are allowed at the Statue of Liberty.

Don't know about the various museums but I'd be surprised to hear they welcome pets. If you don't get any responses here, consider contacting places directly by phone or email.

MikeT Jul 19th, 2004 11:48 AM

Why would you take a puppy to a congested place like NYC? The dog will be miserable. Leave it at home.

ellenem Jul 19th, 2004 11:52 AM

I never see dogs inside any public place, unless it's a very small one in arms. And even then, it's just people making a quick run into a market or bank. One often sees larger dogs that cannot be carried tied to railings or posts outside shops and restaurants. Diners with dogs often chose a sidewalk cafe where they can tie the dog beside them. Dogs would not be welcome in restaurants. Unless you will be spending most of your time outside, leave the dog at the hotel.

HyacinthBucket Jul 19th, 2004 11:58 AM

I know that in London, most of the Asian eateries will welcome your pet with open pans I mean arms.

atilla Jul 19th, 2004 12:02 PM

Hi tsar79. I would be surprised if you find any attractions and tourist sites that are going to allow your dog. Central Park is obviously very pet friendly, but I would doubt that you want to spend a week there. As much as I love my dog, I would not take him to NYC.

And, the first week of August is bound to be very warm if not extremely hot, how is the poor little guy going to fare being carried in a backpack all day in the heat? (I would think it would be rufffff!)

((&))

vacationdreamer Jul 19th, 2004 01:33 PM

Most of the general information here is wrong. Dogs are loved in NY, and they love NY! Take the dog to a dog run - in fact, there are spots where small dogs and bigger dogs get separate runs. An example is Carl Shurz park on the upper east side by the east river. Dogs are welcome in most all stores, certainly small ones as yours is. Dogs are not allowed inside restaurants b/c of health regulations, however. During the warm months, you can eat outside to fix that(you might need to tie the dog on the other side of the restaurant's sidewalk barrier, but still essentially right next to you).

Unfortunately, the dog probably isn't welcome at big attractions and museums (unless you were a big donor...). There are many dog walking services, however, if you think you little one will need a break -- I would bet the hotel could recommend someone.

MikeT Jul 19th, 2004 01:44 PM

Dogs may be loved in NYC, but I can't fathom why anyone would want to limit their time enjoying the city because they had to figure out what to do with the dog. Kennels and pet sitters exist for a reason.

nytraveler Jul 19th, 2004 06:06 PM

Dogs are not allowed into any of the major attractions (the operators are unwillng to risk their insurance premiums on your pet's behavior). And it is illegal to take them into either restaurants or food stores - or any place serving food - per the Board of Health. Some - but not all outdoor cafes will let you eat outdoors with the pet tied to the railing on the outer (sidewalk) side.

They will also not be welcome in most stores of any kind - unless they are port-a-dogs (purse sized). I have even seen owners of the tiny ones ushered out of some of the large department stores.

New York is a great place to live with a pet (doggie parks, special activities, dog walkers, etc) but is a very bad place to travel with a dog.

The pooch would definitely be much happier at home - and your activities will be extremely restricted if you bring it with you.

Scarlett Jul 19th, 2004 06:18 PM

Poor tsar79,
You and your little puppy will have to suffer and just stay in stores like Barneys and Saks and Bloomingdales. You can eat at sidewalk cafes and in Central Park. Pups of all sizes are welcome at Barneys, Pup will assure you of that..where he made friends with a Rhodesian Ridgeback..so a little bitty pup in a tote bag will be fine.
Otherwise, you and the baby will be out of things to do. No museums, no libraries, no restaurants, no attractions other than parks and outdoor areas.
The hotel will make you take the pup with you also-cannot leave them behind to 1- bark 2- get loose when the maid opens the door.
Keep the Do Not Disturb sign on the door all the time.
Best of luck, Scarlett &((&))

gracieb Jul 19th, 2004 06:19 PM

I've started traveling more with my minature schnauzer now that her "sister" has gone on to doggie heaven. I do make arrangements for her to go to "day camp" though. I don't think she would enjoy staying in the hotel room all day while I'm out and about and although I'm pretty sure she would be good I don't want to risk it. She's gotten quite used to day camp.

I've helped a friend relocate to Manhattan from the South and since she began work immediately, I was the one who had to help "Boo" learn to be a city dog, i.e. pee and poop on the sidewalk. She eventually became a real city dog and knew when the kitchen drawer was opened to grab a baggie, it was time to go for a walk. She really enjoyed the dog park in Central Park, but was VERY stressed the first week. She even hopped into a planter in desperate search for dirt. (The doorman was NOT pleased).

NYC dogwalkers are quite amazing, but there's no way I'd subject my "country" dog to the experience of being leased with 8 other dogs to do her "business". She would be traumatized.

So, having said all that, I would probably leave my sweet pooch at home instead of taking her to NYC. She would be totally freaked by all the noises, smells and weird (for her) surroundings. I know this first hand from my experiences with Boo.