Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Travelling to see Snow (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/travelling-to-see-snow-1694132/)

Southfloridatraveler Dec 1st, 2020 05:59 PM

Travelling to see Snow

Hi,
We are thinking of planning a trip to see SNOW end of December this year or beginning of January 2021. We are from Florida, our kids have never seen snow fall. We thought perhaps this year if there is snow in the forecast we can just pack our bags and head out with the dogs in the car. Our kids would be so excited if they can see snow falling. TN is the only place that comes to my mind but I don't think TN gets much snow. What are some of the best places (and maybe guaranteed snow fall) to see snow perhaps 10-15 hours of drive time from Miami/Fort Lauderdale area?

Thank you in advance.

tomfuller Dec 1st, 2020 07:50 PM

Ober Gatlinburg has snow now and will get 2 or more inches on the snow tubing hill before the end of December. I would not take dogs. You may have a hard time finding lodging with pets. Weekdays the hill is $30/per person over 5 for a 90 minute pass. You may find a better deal in western NC at Catahoochee (sic) ski hill if they would rather get a ski lesson.

Southfloridatraveler Dec 1st, 2020 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by tomfuller (Post 17185676)
Ober Gatlinburg has snow now and will get 2 or more inches on the snow tubing hill before the end of December. I would not take dogs. You may have a hard time finding lodging with pets. Weekdays the hill is $30/per person over 5 for a 90 minute pass. You may find a better deal in western NC at Catahoochee (sic) ski hill if they would rather get a ski lesson.

Thank you. I will check out catahoochee too. I think as long as we can see snow kids will be happy :). Unfortunately we have no where to keep our dogs, since it is a spontaneous trip I won't be able to get a dog sitter.

Gretchen Dec 2nd, 2020 02:49 AM

Board them where you go to the vet?
There is a LOT of snow in the Tennessee mountains right now!! You also need to realize that places to stay will be at a premium with people who are skiers in the areas mentioned. If you just want to see snow then watch for the big forecast in places that aren't in the mountains--maybe northeast of Atlanta

Christina Dec 2nd, 2020 07:37 AM

It depends on the weather, obviously, but it does snow in SW Virginia and WV, as I go skiing there in winter. But generally more in Jan-Feb. Who knows, you can drive to Roanoke or Bluefield WV area within about 13 hours. It would take closer to 15 hrs as ski resorts aren't right off the interstate usually, but Wintergreen Resort in VA is the southernmost one there, I think, and it just a bit SE of Staunton.

Bluefield WV area or Lewisburg is okay to visit and generally has some snow in December.

Snowshoe is the main ski resort in WV, but it would be farther than 15 hrs drive from Miami. Winterplace is the most southern ski resort there (all of WV is within the Appalachian Mtn range), and you could get there in about 14 hrs. It's a bit south of Beckley. Last year, Winterplace didn't have any snow in Dec but did have about 6 inches in early Jan. By contrast, Snowshoe had over a foot in December and about another 10 inches first couple weeks in January. It has a whole resort area with all kinds of things for kids to do, but it isn't cheap. Wintergreen in So VA didn't have any snow in December last year but had a few inches in early Jan.

suze Dec 2nd, 2020 01:32 PM

You are going to make a reservation for a place to stay, right? I know you said "spontaneous" but especially with kids and dogs along, I do think you need some kind of a definite plan before heading out. To keep it to 10-15 hours, think altitude rather than miles north.

fmpden Dec 2nd, 2020 02:24 PM

Given the current virus situation, you will have to concern various restrictions that you might encounter. Right now all of our ski areas in Colorado are on huge restrictions as to number of guests, inside dining, etc. etc. I would think that similar restrictions would apply whether ever you decide to go.

Gretchen Dec 3rd, 2020 02:27 AM

As Fmpden says, yes, and with much smaller amount of accomodations in our southern ski areas. But as I tried to say, if they just want to see and play in snow, we may have some storm this winter that they could go to a more urban area and play--get a sled at WalMart, etc. But this particular time is more daunting than ever.

J62 Dec 4th, 2020 04:06 AM

How about a house swap?

Your kids can sled down the back yard hill (covid friendly), you can have the joy of playing with a snow blower & shovel. DW and I can enjoy the FLA sun....

We'll trade places the other way in say April after the last snow storm....