Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Travelling from Brisbane to Lax with a connecting flight (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/travelling-from-brisbane-to-lax-with-a-connecting-flight-1019472/)

jacksonr87 Jul 8th, 2014 10:57 PM

Travelling from Brisbane to Lax with a connecting flight

I was hoping someone could help in regards to my connecting flight at lax. I'm arriving from Brisbane into the TBIT and need to go to terminal 5 to connect t a delta airlines flight.
I've read that I have to go out of the secure area, get my baggage, then recheck it in.

Can anyone give me an estimated time for this? I understand that times will vary all the time. I have 2 hours 20 minutes to get to my connecting flight.

cksmummy Jul 9th, 2014 12:40 AM

The Tom Bradley terminal is horrible! I've done that trip 6-7 times and the worst part is always the lines through immigration. I've heard it recommended that you don't look at a connecting flight for at least three hours, but it can be done in your timeframe, obviously depending on day. Is the flight on the same ticket? If so, you should be fine. For a while they were handing out special cards if you were connecting within a certain timeframe and you could go through an express lane - not sure if they still are. Hopefully someone else can help with this.

doug_stallings Jul 9th, 2014 08:25 AM

When I went to Australia year before last, I managed to do a transfer from the Tom Bradley International Terminal to Terminal 3 (on separate tickets, which I absolutely do not recommend) in less than 2 hours. I'd feel more comfortable with 3, but you should be able to do it in 2-1/2, but don't tarry.

Anytime you arrive in the US, you have to go through immigration, collect your bags, pass customs, re-check your bags, and go back through security. That's why you need so much time to do an international-to-domestic connection at a US airport, even if you stay in the same terminal. It's a little insane, but that's the way it is.

I would not recommend this if you have 2 separate tickets, then I'd insist on having at least 3 hours. But if you are on a single ticket (even if you are changing airlines), then if you miss your Delta connection, you'll be put on the next available flight to your final destination. That's inconvenient but not too horrible unless you are, say, trying to join a cruise or a guided tour or have something nonrefundable to do immediately upon arrival.

Gardyloo Jul 9th, 2014 08:30 AM

One ticket or two? What airline from Oz to LAX? It matters a lot.

clarkgriswold Jul 9th, 2014 09:43 AM

yes, need more info. If you're all on one ticket with airlines that have an agreement you're a lot better off, and you won't be hauling your bags to the next terminal. Some good news: Terminal 5 is a pretty short easy walk from Bradley.

nytraveler Jul 9th, 2014 11:38 AM

There are a couple of things you can do to help:

Have carry-on only

Sit at the front of the plane (can save 10 to 15 minutes deplaning)

Once off the plane race for Immigration (getting ahead of everyone else on your plane can save another 10 minutes at least - at LHR I've actually jogged pulling my little wheelie a couple of times)

If your time is running short when you get to security for the ongoing flight do ask the guard - they may help you get through more quickly - but no guarantee