Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Travelling around La Jolla (and vicinity) (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/travelling-around-la-jolla-and-vicinity-352947/)

DSM Aug 29th, 2003 03:22 AM

Travelling around La Jolla (and vicinity)

I am considering La Jolla as my next holiday destination. I don't drive and my wife isn't keen on driving in another country (we live in the U.K.). Is access to a car essential in the La Jolla area, or can you get by with the public transport?

Thanks.

DSM

ltt Aug 29th, 2003 06:15 AM

you can do it. just plan on allowing a lot of time as the public transport is only average. there are plenty of shops and restaurts in la jolla and there is a nice park by the shoreline that is pleasant for watching the sun sets.

hsv Aug 29th, 2003 06:45 AM

DSM,

it is doable- but advisable? I'd rather say not.
La Jolla is one of the most beautiful places in the world to me- but is is a bit stretched out. There are also so many sights and places around the area including San Diego itself that you really might appreciate the flexibilty of having a car.
I can also assure you that driving is rather relaxed and I in your place would not worry too much.
If you do decide to go there (which I would probably do anyway in your case), make sure then that you will be staying in La Jolla itself (Cove or Shores) rather than in the area around UTC (University Town Center). This is an area featuring many of the nicer chain hotels but it is a bit more inland sporting good freeway access, which, however, will not be of much interest to you if you do not intend to have a rental car.

Have a great time there and include dinner at George's at the Cove- just fabulous!

Regards
hsv

Barbara Aug 29th, 2003 08:36 AM

DSM, La Jolla is a suburb of San Diego, so when you visit La Jolla, will you also be visiting the tourist attractions in the rest of the city? These include the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, Seaworld, the Embarcadero area where you will find the Star of India and Harbor Cruises. Not far from there is Seaport Village, which is a fun place to find souvenirs and for lunch or dinner. Old Town is an intersting and fun area to visit, as well as the Presidio and the first of the Missions to be built in California, Mission San Diego de Alcala.

La Jolla itself has two centers - the shopping/restaurant/Cove area and the beach at La Jolla Shores, where there are a few shops and restaurants. Getting from one to the other without a car would require taking a cab. It's a long walk.

It is much easier to have a car in San Diego. Public transport is infrequent and slow. There is a lot of traffic, but it is pretty easy to find your way around.

hsv Aug 29th, 2003 09:26 AM

DSM,

Listen to Barbara- she is THE expert on San Diego here- and her advice is always excellent!

hsv

Barbara Aug 29th, 2003 10:11 AM

hsv, how kind! Thank you.

rjw_lgb_ca Aug 29th, 2003 10:16 AM

Hi, Barbara!! In the La Jolla village area (Cove/shops/etc.), several years ago I stayed at the Grande Colonial Inn and loved it. I also hear its restaurant 910 is pretty great (we always ended up at George's at the Cove on that trip-- when expensing, go all out!). Any thoughts from your perspective as a SD native?

DSM, I'm also putting in my kudos for Barbara's San Diego expertise. Her word is gold for this area!

Barbara Aug 29th, 2003 10:36 AM

rjw, I haven't eaten there, but it does get good reviews. I always end up at George's too! Have you eaten at the Brockton Villa? It's always been good for breakfast, but is now getting excellent reviews both here and around town for dinner.

I have no time to do anything for the next few months because high school football season is about to get under way! And I'm planning our Christmas trip to the UK.

gail Aug 29th, 2003 11:18 AM

While I can understand reluctance to drive in another country (especially where one drives on the "wrong" side of the road - we are having same discussion about whether or not to rent a car in spring on trip to UK) - we just returned from trip to San Diego area and found routes well marked. Your wife would need to be comfortable driving on Interstate highways at high speeds to get to other parts of San Diego. Also, there can be a fair amount of traffic. However, as Barbara says, things are rather spread out and when we visited and investigated public transportation to various places, it seemed like a giant pain. We had a car so we drove. Not claiming to be an expert on the area - just a perspective from someone who has never been to that part of the country and still managed to only get lost once.

DSM Sep 1st, 2003 12:28 AM

Thank you to everyone who has offered their advice - it is much appreciated. I think we will have to seriously reconsider hiring a car.

I'm sure I'll think of 100 more questions! Thanks again.

David