Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Traveling with two boys in Washington, D.C. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/traveling-with-two-boys-in-washington-d-c-14544/)

Georgeanne McIlveene May 22nd, 1997 08:21 PM

Traveling with two boys in Washington, D.C.

We will be in the Washington,D.C. area with our boys, ages 11 and 14. We want to vist places that they will enjoy but do not want to spend time standing in useless lines. What are some things to do or see that are not for the typical tourists. Also, where would you stay in the Washington, D.C. area, moderately priced? Would you rent a car? We are flying into the Baltimore Airport in mid-June.

Bob May 23rd, 1997 07:42 AM

We too are planning a trip to DC the second week of June. We found the
Metro to be our main source of transportation. Thats all we plan to use. Parking is impossible.
We will be staying at the Holiday Inn westpark in Rosslyn. This is in Arlington, VA. We chose
Arlington because it is out of the way and in a very safe spot.
Thats about all I van tell you right now. Oh.. I almost forgot. If you plan to visit the more
popular museums you should get advanced tickets. Call 1800 400-9373
and they'll set you up.
Have fun,
Bob

kelly felix May 23rd, 1997 03:17 PM

A couple of ideas -

rent bikes for a day and use the Mt. Vernon bike trail. It follows the Potomac and goes right by National Airport where you can watch planes land. Then it goes into Old Town Alexandria where you can stop for a bite to eat. Old Town has many nice shops, Ben & Jerry's ice cream store, etc. Depending on your energy level, you can head down to Mt. Vernon and tour the mansion.

If you have the opportunity, and depending on how long you're in town, a trip to Camden Yards (Balt - 50 mi north of DC) for an Orioles game is well worth it. Especially for the two boys. The park is new, clean and I don't think there's a bad seat in the house - even the bleachers (tho high) are still good. You could spend the rest of the day at the Inner Harbor and also the Baltimore Aquarium. It puts the National Aquarium to shame!

If you're only traveling in DC, stick to the Metro as the other person said. However, if you're going to explore a little further, I'd recommend a car for those days.

You're probably already on the list for the Air & Space Museum. A must for two boys. Also, try your congressman's office to see if he can get you passes for a White House tour.

I hope some of this was helpful. Have fun!

Jeanne Danek May 27th, 1997 09:12 AM

Try going on an FBI tour, they should enjoy that.
Also, the US Mint would be fun. Fodor's book should give you more info on these.

sgorces May 29th, 1997 12:45 PM

Spent a week in DC with my 11 yo last year. I would skip the White House, long lines and not a highlight for boys your ages. I would take in the National Zoo (Woodley Park Metro station plus a healthy walk). Most boys will snub the zoo, but don't pass it up. Catch the Panda having lunch and the terrific bat exhibit. Air & Space is a must, crowds can be huge but usually not with queues. Take a quick visit to the Capitol, Supreme court and inner dome of the Library of Congress (all close to eachother). My son enjoyed Arlington Cem, changing of guard at Tomb. Don't bother with a car until you're ready to head out to countryside, battlefields, Palisades on the Potomac. There is train service from Balt-Wa airport. You may want to take a cab from Union Station to hotel. Stay anywhere west of a line drawn from the top of the triangle to the bottom. Do not venture into NE.

d.neilan May 31st, 1997 05:47 PM

d.neilan May 31st, 1997 05:57 PM

nd Senators for passes to the Capitol. This will save standing in line there.