Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Traveling with a Digital Camera (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/traveling-with-a-digital-camera-487016/)

pb_and_j Nov 20th, 2004 01:16 PM

Traveling with a Digital Camera

I've just upgraded to the digital world, I have a Kodak DX7590 incidientally.

I'm going on a 4 week trip what's the best way to handle picture storage? Can I go to photo shops and get the files put on CDs?

Or would it be better to load them onto an online site? (Any recomendations for that?) If I have to connect at an internet cafe, how would that work? I'm assuming that the host computer would need some software to recognize the camera so is it even possible??

Thanks!

MikeBuckley Nov 20th, 2004 02:28 PM

You basically have four storage possibilities:
1) Flash memory (be sure to purchase the kind your camera recognizes)
2) The hard drive of your laptop if you're taking one with you
3) An Internet site, whether it's email or a photo site. (Email would be very cumbersome and time-consuming.) You're right that the computer you use to upload them to the Internet will need to have the software that allows transfer from the camera's memory (whether directly from the camera or via a memory card reader) to the computer. You will need to take the CD containing that software with you, and I don't know if Internet cafes will allow you to install it on their computer.
4) Shops that transfer pics from your flash memory to a CD.

Considering how inexpensive flash memory has become, I would recommend the latter if you're not taking a laptop. That way you also won't have to take the time on your trip to make storage arrangements.

Be sure to get used to the camera and transferring photos before you go on your trip if you haven't already done so. There's no better way to underperform your picture-taking expectations than to use a brand new camera for the first time on a trip.

mrwunrfl Nov 20th, 2004 02:28 PM

One way is too get more memory. I just got a 512 meg for $46 using a 25% off coupon at Circuit City. There is also a $15 rebate. So, for $31 I'll have enough memory for 329 5-megapixel photos at best resolution.

It would be better to record onto a CD than to upload if you have lots of big images. You probably got a USB cable with the camera. You can take that with you to use for downloading to a computer at an internet cafe, but places that record CDs for you will probably have the hardware to accommodate your memory. It's a piece of cake, really.

MikeBuckley Nov 20th, 2004 02:34 PM

The above post reminds me that, of course, you can make your own transfers to a CD rather than relying on a shop to do that. I assumed that you had for some reason already eliminated that possibility.

mrwunrfl Nov 20th, 2004 03:39 PM

You won't need software to download images from the camera to a computer (not a Windows XP one, for sure). With the USB cable, the camera just looks like another drive.

My Kodak has the same memory and I went to an internet cafe in Bali to record the images to CD. They had a printer that had slots for three or four different camera memory types. We put the memory in there and copied it to CD. No software needed to be installed.

djkbooks Nov 20th, 2004 09:59 PM

Memory is rather cheap these days, though I prefer smaller cards to one huge card.

I'd recommend checking the manual for the capacity of each size card for your camera.

Also, test your camera at various resolutions and settings. For slideshows, e-mailing, printing 4x6 photos, higher settings (which do not necessarily produce better results) waste storage space, take longer to upload, take longer to print.

abram Nov 20th, 2004 10:09 PM

When my husband bought a digital camera, he also bought a small portable CD burner that didn't need the computer to burn CDs. When we travel, he just adds the day's pictures to the CD every evening. He finds it very convenient.

TripleSecDelay Nov 21st, 2004 12:44 AM

If you don't find all the info you need here, there is a similar bulletin board - specifically for digital cameras at :

www.dpreview.com

I bought a 1GB CF card for $70, less the $20 mail-in rebate. $50 for 1GB is about as good as it gets right now.

Some computers at internet cafes and most public libraries will not allow you to upload/download anything - after the advent of nasty computer viruses.

gail Nov 21st, 2004 01:16 AM

Another travel issue is battery - it is a good idea to get an extra battery so you can recharge one while using another. And if you are traveling to another country, make sure you have necessary adaptor/converter/transformer thing.

MikeBuckley Nov 21st, 2004 04:49 AM

mr, It's really good to know that operating systems recognize the camera or memory card reader without the need for special software. I didn't realize that.

Gretchen Nov 21st, 2004 04:55 AM

Even if you have a huge memory card (someone mentioned a 1 gig card) you may want to back up your pictures every day or few days "just in case". Our son got an Ipod for this use. I also prefer several smaller memory cards to one big one.
Yes, have an extra set of batteries to recharge.

pb_and_j Nov 22nd, 2004 05:45 AM

Thank you for all the tips!

Connie Nov 22nd, 2004 09:31 AM

I recently read a good reason to have several smaller cards rather than one big card--theft. This person had their camera stolen with their ONE big card--bye bye pictures.

jlm_mi Nov 22nd, 2004 09:49 AM

I haven't used an internet cafe in the states, but in Europe last year the cafes we used were all disabling their USB ports for security reasons, so there would be no way to connect your camera to the computer to upload photos online.

I would not rely on this service being available unless you can confirm it in advance with an internet cafe where you'll be staying.

jor Nov 22nd, 2004 11:43 AM

We never travel with a digital camera because they are always whinning about when are we going to get there, and I want more juice.

TripleSecDelay Nov 22nd, 2004 11:45 AM

I dunno what that really means, jor...but...
At 60 mph (the highway speed limit) when I hear from the back seat, "Are we there, yet?"
My reply, "Yes. Get out."

I'm never serious, so it's good for a chuckle.

TripleSecDelay Nov 22nd, 2004 11:50 AM

I agree with those above who mentioned that a large memory card could cause problems. Depending on what resolution (size) photos you are shooting, including video, and the number per day, the large cards are preferable.
If a person buys a 5megapixel camera but shoots photos at the lowest setting, why bother buying a 5MP when a 2MP will suffice?
The 1GB card is suitable for my shooting needs at full-throttle.
Anyone else ever hear the phrase, "Go big or stay home"?

<b>pb_and_j</b> : For loading to online site, you can use Ofoto.com, worldisround.com, pbase.com. Each has a limitation in one way or another.

<b>Ofoto</b> minimizes your pictures to only thumbnail size and decreases the resolution to dissuade &quot;your friends&quot; or the picture viewers from downloading the pics for free. [A web surfer can right-click on almost any image and save it to a computer.] Ofoto is a Kodak company, and they prefer to turn a profit by selling the prints and shipping them to the person who views / orders the photos.

<b>pbase.com</b> is a photo-enthusiasts site where galleries can be set up, changed, displayed, edited, etc. 10MB for free, more space for a yearly fee.

<b>Worldisround.com</b> offers 50MB (last time I checked) for free. To disable the advertising, a person pays a fee. Many travelers post their photo journals there.
Could be your best bet for ease of use and large storage for free.

peterboy Nov 22nd, 2004 12:09 PM

Look into getting an XS drive

http://www.xs-drive.com/

I bought the most basic one with a 30 GB hard drive. They now have newer ones with better features. Mine has functioned flawlessly on several trips since I purchased it in late 2002. I download every memory stick I fill whether it is a vacation or not as yet another back up to my image files. I have no interest in XS Drive products other than as a satisfied customer.

There are other devices that will transfer files from memory sticks and card to a CD. That looks like an interesting option although I have no experience with them.