Reload this Page >

Traveling Up The Coast With My Family

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 03:30 AM
Jeff

My family of 5 have 9 days to visit LA and the coast up to SF this August. We are planning to spend a few days in LA with friends, stop at San Simeon and Monterey, and then stay in SF for 3 days. I would appreciate recommendations of nice, but reasonable places to stay (approx $125 per night)as well as things to see (my kids are 16,13 and 8).

Thanks for your e-help!

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 08:42 AM
jane

Re: San Simeon, you might try the Best Western Cavalier (go to bestwestern.com). We stayed there years ago, and it's very nice, clean, and you can get a room that is literally ON the water. Reasonable, as I recall. My husband wanted to go to the Hearst Castle, and I thought it would be one of those dumb historical things like my parents dragged us to while growing up, but it was VERY interesting! Well worth it- I'd go again.

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 09:39 AM
cheryl

One of the most memorable things I did when I drove up the coast was a visit to Ano Nuavo State Park. It is one of the few places in the world where elephant seals breed. A docent takes you on a brief walk and suddenly you are within 20 feet of hundreds of the creatures. Wild Kingdom move over! HIGHLY recommend this 2 hour tour. Sign up thru the park service ahead of time. It frequently sells out. If you cannot get in, go early and get on a waiting list. We did, and were part of the first tour. It also is one of the greatest white shark hot spots. In Monterey we stayed at the Green Gables Inn. It is right on the bay, in a quiet area. Ask for the room with the special tower- a loft accessed by a ladder with adorable paintings- for a truly unique experience.

Old Apr 22nd, 2000, 04:35 PM
Caitlin

Unfortunately, elephant seal season ends in early March, so you will have to save Ano Nuevo for a winter trip. In SF, everyone would probably enjoy Alcatraz (including the ferry ride); do the audio or guided tour. Your kids might also like the Exploratorium, an interactive science museum, which is situated adjacent to the beautiful Palace of Fine Arts, near the Golden Gate Bridge. I would dtrongly recommend buying/reserving tickets in advance for Hearst Castle, the Monterey Bay Aquarium, and Alcatraz; this will save you *lots* of time standing in line.

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 07:02 AM
lisa

Do a text search on this forum using the words "California coast" and restrict the search to the state of California, and you will bring up a bunch of useful threads on this subject, including a trip report I posted last July called "Trip report -- Just back from California coast." It has lots of detailed recommendations about accommodations, restaurants, sights, etc.

Old May 17th, 2000, 09:21 PM
terry

I would recommend the Columbus Motor Inn on Columbus Ave between North Beach and Fisherman's Wharf. We paid $125/night for a 2 room suite (off season) and parking was free which is not the norm in SF. Cable cars were a block away and Lombard, Chinatown were within walking distance.
check out www.sftravel.com for other budget hotels