Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Traveling to South County, RI in July-Stay in Westerly or Providence or Newport?

Search

Traveling to South County, RI in July-Stay in Westerly or Providence or Newport?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are traveling with our 1 year old and plan on spending days by the beach in South County (which we don't mind driving to) and want to stay in a hotel or b&b with restaurants, shopping etc. close by. Anyone know the area and recommend which town to stay in? We don't want a sleepy town with nothing to do at night. But also want to stay within 20 minutes or so of the best beaches! I love all the advice everyone gives, it's so helpful. Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 03:06 AM

I would stay in Westerly. It is very well-located, has a quaint 19th century atmosphere, a wonderful tearoom, an antique carousel for you and baby, and near the beaches.

You can make very easy day trips to Mystic and Stonington, Connecticut, and to Newport. You could take the ferry to Block Island for the day and eat seafood in Point Judith.

Providence is pretty nifty but it is a lot farther from the beach than it looks on paper owing to traffic, and would not be a good base, though you could make a good day trip there if it is rainy, something lots of people planning beach vacations forget.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 04:21 AM
Original Poster

thanks! I was thinking it might be too far. How about Narragansett. We found many b&bs there. Know anything about Sheppard's Place or Grandview? Do you think there would be more to do there during the evening than Westerly? If not do you know of any good places to stay in Westerly? (We're on a budget- around $200 a night) I really appreciate your reply. Thanks so much!
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 04:48 AM

Sorry, I can't help with lodging. I was there for a wedding several years ago and can't remember where we stayed. Other trips, I have stayed in Mystic.

Narraganset if fine, a sort of traditional beachy community, less upscale, maybe, but it is mostly on the bay rather than the ocean, isn't it?

You might just google Westerly and see what you come up with.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:53 AM

Narragansett is nice, and pretty central for beaching. It is at the southern end of Narragansett Bay, but with nice beaches that have an ocean, rather than bay feel. From there, it's not far to go over to Newport or Providence. Or you could stay in Newport where there are beaches close, and you are right in the midst of lots of shopping, restaurants, but pricier and busy in the summer.
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 05:57 AM
Pausanias

I think your best bet in Westerly is Watch Hill. However, I haven't stayed there for a while and the prices can be high. Check out some of the places mentioned at this website http://www.visitwatchhill.com/

Watch Hill is pretty ritzy, but small. It has a couple of restaurants and a bar with a deck overlooking the harbor. The beach is good.

The rest of Westerly is probably not what you're looking for, There are motels along Rt 1, but I don't think any of them have a beach, and they all require driving to restaurants. There are state beaches, such as Blue Shutters in Charlestown, where you can park for a fee.

Not as familiar with Narragansett.

Newport has the widest range of hotels and restauraunts and a nice beach, but again, I haven't stayed there in years.

Old Jun 21st, 2007, 01:38 PM

I've stayed at Grandview once for a last minute one night stay .
It's a pleasant but simple place, fairly priced. Unfortunately, I had a room with a shared bath (all that was left at the time). The breakfast was also Ok, not gourmet, but fine.
Pat, the woman who owns and runs the place was very nice. You still have to drive to and park (and pay) for beach access

I've looked into Sheppards Place but never stayed there. They have several places (including a cottage on the beach, I think). I spoke to the owners at the time and they seemed nice enough, too, but I didn't end up staying there.

There are some hotels and motels/ resorts in the area too.
I agree that driving from Providence to the beach would be a trek.Newposrt is much more crowded and expensive. probably not as suitable with a baby
Old Jun 21st, 2007, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of the replies! It looks as though we're going to stay at the Grandview bed and breakfast; Or the Pleasant View inn, in Westerly. I'll post how it was on our return. Thanks again!