Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Traveling to Colorado : Colorado Wildfires (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/traveling-to-colorado-colorado-wildfires-230823/)

Lenleigh Jun 13th, 2002 12:06 PM

Traveling to Colorado : Colorado Wildfires

I have been seeing quite a few posts about the Wildfires in Colorado and some people are a little misinformed. The media seems to be doing a good job of freaking people out. <BR><BR>Last time I saw there were about 7 fires all over the state. The biggest fire of course is the Hayman Fire which is the worst the state has ever seen. Yes, It is a bad fire and there have been a good number of people evacuated but unless you were planning to camp or visit in one of these areas than you should NOT worry about changing your plans for vacation/business. The fire is not anywhere near the city of Denver and it is still unsure that it will reach Southwestern Burbs of Denver. There are still many other places to camp(without campfires of course) and nearly all of the top tourist sites are still open and not in any danger!

S Jun 13th, 2002 12:13 PM

Lenleigh, that's the media's job: "to report and sell the news." Of course if they sensationalize along the way, that's journalistic license. . .

OliveOyl Jun 13th, 2002 12:28 PM

Nor does it help that your Governor has been on national news making statements like "All of Colorado is burning" and the state is in a "Def Con 1" state of alert, then compares the fire scene to a "nuclear winter". Honestly, the Chamber and tourism boards need to take that boy aside!!

coskier Jun 13th, 2002 12:33 PM

LenLeigh is right on. Plenty of places to visit. Really most of the places you would probably be interested in are open for business. We spent last weekend at Keystone and will go up the weekend as well. Awesome as always!!<BR><BR>Lots of hiking, biking, sailing, golf, tennis, horseback riding, camping, general sight seeing are available.

Lenleigh Jun 13th, 2002 12:34 PM

Olive-<BR><BR>LOL, You are right! Today Mayor Web was on the news trying to tell people otherwise. Glenwood Springs especially needs the tourism money and they were suggesting people take a trip to the hot springs! I guess our governor is getting his 15 seconds. Just remember it is only about 1% of Colorado that is on fire.

Popeye Jun 13th, 2002 12:42 PM

Olive:<BR><BR>You are absolutely right. Owens may be good with numbers, but definitely not with the media. Denver was pretty gloomy with all the smoke, but I doubt it bore any resemblance to a nuclear winter, not that I've seen one. I am in Breckenridge right now and the skies are blue, the air is clear and clean and it's another beautiful day in paradise.<BR><BR>

Me Jun 13th, 2002 12:48 PM

I don't believe that the national media coverage has been any worse regarding our fires than they are reporting floods in the midwest. How many times do you watch TV and hear about floods or tornados in the south or midwest and think that it is in a whole state or states? The media has a way of making things worse than they are. The fires in Colorado are very bad and are having an effect on thousands of people, but as we have mentioned several times on this site - the fires in Colorado, at this time, have only burned or are burning 1% of the land. So come to Colorado and enjoy - but please be careful!

kima Jun 14th, 2002 05:48 AM

Last night we had a very enjoyable night out in Denver. Dinner outside on the patio in Cherry Creek at Sushi Tazu, a walk to Marble Slab for an ice cream, then a stroll window shopping. Wonderful summer eve. Telling you this to say life in Denver is pretty much the same as always. Denver is NOT on fire!

top Jun 14th, 2002 07:52 AM