Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   traveling in colorado in Aug, where are the best indian ruins and which train ride is the best (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/traveling-in-colorado-in-aug-where-are-the-best-indian-ruins-and-which-train-ride-is-the-best-234814/)

jan Jun 27th, 2002 04:03 AM

traveling in colorado in Aug, where are the best indian ruins and which train ride is the best

I know there are many train rides and indian ruins in Colorado looking for direction on which are the best to see and ride

travellyn Jun 27th, 2002 06:16 AM

A prejudiced person's opinion: Mesa Verde has the best ruins and the Durango and Silverton Railroad has the best train ride.

Connie Jun 27th, 2002 07:03 AM

I second that motion.

Utahtea Jun 27th, 2002 08:39 AM

As mentioned, Mesa Verde has the best pueblo ruins in Colorado. Make sure you take the three ranger tour ruins. <BR><BR>Utahtea

June Jun 27th, 2002 08:46 AM

Another vote for Mesa Verde. I love it there.

Lenleigh Jun 27th, 2002 10:22 PM

I would also say your best bet is the SW region (Durango). It is convenient because what you are looking for are both pretty close to each other. The Durango train is one of the best train rides in the state. The other ones I have been are the Canon City(Royal Gorge) Train which is interesting but not as scenic/pretty as Durango. You mostly follow the river(with lots of rafters in it) and you see a little of the Gorge/Canyon. I think you go under it actually, has been a few years since we did that. The other train I have been on is the Winter Park Ski Train. It is seasonal but they do have a summer season which a lot of mountain bikers like to do. Nice ride as well but again not as pretty as durango and it is a little more exciting when you are going in the winter to ski.

tb Jun 28th, 2002 07:03 AM

You mentioned take the three ranger ruins tour. What is the procedure of doing that? How and when do you get tickets etc.?

travellyn Jun 28th, 2002 07:45 AM

You buy tickets for the tours at Mesa Verde at the visitors' center. If you arrive right as they open, you can have your choice of tour times. I probably wouldn't do more than 2 in one day. The people at the visitors' center can tell you about pros and cons of each tour.

Bob Brown Jun 28th, 2002 11:02 AM

Right now the Durango - Silverton train is not operating because of fire danger.<BR><BR>Mesa Verde is interesting. I have been there more than once, and each time I learn something new.<BR><BR>Most people don;t go to Long House.<BR>I think it is most interesting.<BR>Balcony House is also a fun trip, but be prepared to climb ladders and crawl.<BR><BR>

travellyn Jun 28th, 2002 12:39 PM

Actually, the train IS operating, but in 3 separate segments instead of the usual round trip between Durango and Silverton.

Utahtea Jun 28th, 2002 08:55 PM

<BR>To tb<BR><BR>Here is the link to the offical Mesa Verde Web site and the information on how to get tickets and the tours: <BR><BR>http://www.nps.gov/meve/mvnp/pages/2002sched.htm<BR><BR>Utahtea

evelyntrav Jul 15th, 2002 04:55 PM

We made a big mistake and took the Pikes Peak cog train ride. It was boring, uncomfortable, and not much to see.

evelyntrav Jul 15th, 2002 06:30 PM

We were in Mesa Verde on July 9th. Although Chapin Mesa (Cliff and Balcony Houses) is closed, we did go to Long House, Spruce House on ranger-led tours and the pit houses via a tram. I have been to other Indian ruins, but these were awesome. I was disappointed about not seeing the other sites but after viewing photographs of them and comparing them to what we did see, I don't think they were very different. We were at the ticket window at 9:00 AM and the first available ticket to Spruce was at 1:30 and for Long House at 11:00 (or perhaps it was the other way around. The ticket person will not sell tickets to both Long House and Spruce House to the same person for the same day, but you could each stand on different lines and purchase tickets for each. Not particularly right, but since it was a "one chance" for us, we handled it this way without feeling too guilty. The park was rather empty considering what I had heard about the summer crowds and the Far View Lodge seemed about 1/3 booked. <BR>

Larry Jul 15th, 2002 07:48 PM

The Durango/Silverton RR is back operating normally. Many folks ride to Silverton and take bus back. It is a great ride but I still prefer the Cumbres & Toltec out of Antonito, CO or Chama, NM. The train out of Chama is much better for taking photos of train from road as it follows the road most of the way into CO. Can get some great shots and, with video, great sounds. This RR is also back operating normally now.

p. Jul 15th, 2002 07:59 PM

I first went to Mesa Verde 30 yrs ago (now that makes me feel about as ancient as its former inhabitants) and revisited ten years ago, both in August. In '72, there were very few people around, in '92 there was a long line of cars waiting to park let alone the line of people waiting to get to the site. We didn't stay. I don't know what it's like nowadays but be warned ! Never did do the Silverton/Durango ride but we did take the Cumbres Toltec & loved it. Some train fans told us it had a greater variety of scenery than the other one. I'm sure you'll have fun whichever one you choose.<BR>p.<BR>