Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   traveling from Wilmington NC to PA which way? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/traveling-from-wilmington-nc-to-pa-which-way-1707895/)

warrenprince7460 May 25th, 2022 02:49 PM

traveling from Wilmington NC to PA which way?

I am driving from Wilmington NC to eastern PA Memorial Day weekend. I'm leaving on Friday and planning a 2 day trip. I know most suggest traveling via the Bay Bridge Tunnel to avoid DC, but I'm thinking there will be a lot of shore traffic on that route. If I plan on stopping overnight in Fredericksburg and going through DC on Saturday mid morning. Any suggestions on which route to use?

Christina May 26th, 2022 06:48 AM

I'm not sure what route you are planning that goes through DC. Are you planning to take I95 and then 395/295 through DC until you get onto 495 and then go NW to hit I95 again? Of course yoiu don't have to go through DC at all, you can just take I495 around it earlier.

Personally, I hate I95 and would consider just driving west and get onto I81 up into PA. Of course it depends where you are going, you don't say which make sit kind of hard to advise. Philadelphia would be a different plan that, say Allentown or Harrisburg or even Easton. If I were going even to ALlentown, for example, I think going west to get onto I81 (say going west at Richmond) which goes up to Harrisburg. By Google, it's maybe 75 miles longer for the entire trip but I just really hate I95. But ifyou are going to Philadelphia, that may not make sense

I do imagine Saturday mid-day will be a lot better trafficwise, all the reports say Friday will be worse. I don't really understand what you are asking about various way to go through DC. I would NOT take the BW Parkway, that's all I know. In theory, it sounds good but there are often lots of problems on that route and I would not take it. AS I said, you don't have to go through DC at all if you get onto 495 at Springfield.

J62 May 26th, 2022 07:30 AM

Saturday am from Fredericksburg it won't matter what route you take - whatever google maps, or waze, or whatever you use says is best at that time.
Saturday is a non-commuter day, and the route around DC isn't a beach traffic route.

It's only 2hr drive from Fredericksburg to Baltimore so as long as you are on the road early am you'll be ahead of any heavier traffic that may (or may not) grow later in the day.

cdnyul May 26th, 2022 08:51 AM

The 17/15 combination from Fredericksburg to Harrisburg, depending on how east in PA you have to go.

obxgirl May 27th, 2022 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by J62 (Post 17366379)
Saturday am from Fredericksburg it won't matter what route you take - whatever google maps, or waze, or whatever you use says is best at that time.

Saturday is a non-commuter day, and the route around DC isn't a beach traffic route.

It's only 2hr drive from Fredericksburg to Baltimore so as long as you are on the road early am you'll be ahead of any heavier traffic that may (or may not) grow later in the day.

"Commuter" isn't the issue. Near gridlock congestion is the issue for both those who live south of DC to Fredericksburg combined with those who will be passing through to the NE megalopolis on a holiday weekend, not only for the beach. That 2 hour drive from F'burg to Baltimore can easily double no matter what the route. If you spend the night in Fredericksburg, I recommend leaving the following day as early after dawn as your little legs can carry you.