Traveling from Orlando to Gatlinburg/ Sevierville with a 3yr old

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My family is planning a trip to Gatlinburg/ Seveirvill area in Tennessee mid August. We are from Orlando, and need a break from the amusement parks here and the beach and thought the Smokey Mountains sounded interesting.

We estimate a 10-11 hour drive which we need to divide into 2 days. Looking at the map, it seems Atlanta would be about halfway. Two important questions:
1. What would be the best route to take?
and
2. Where is a safe, comfortable place to stay near Atlanta? We would want to stay somewhere the WIFI as well to occupy my 3yr old, and a pool is a plus.
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 12:31 PM

Sorry no one has responded to this yet.

I75 is the quickest route to Atlanta. From there, the route we (who live in ATL) take is I85 north to I985 then continue on US23 to US441, which goes through the Smokies. US 23 is more direct than I85 and pretty fast. US441--the only road through the Smokies-- will be very congested around Gatlinburg in August. So you might want to stay around Cherokee on the south side of the Smokies. There is an American Indian museum and the Ocanaluftee Visitor Center that has a "farm" with buildings assembled from all around, both of which your son might find interesting--last time we were there, I was fascinated by the chickens and rooster. Cherokee would also give you easy access to the Blue Ridge Parkway which is a delightful and somewhat less crowded way to see the mountains.

you could also drive around the mountains-- up I75 to Chattanooga then take I40 toward Sevierville.

Look at Tripadvisor.com to choose a hotel in or around ATL. I took a quick look at Tripadvisor to see what would be available around Stone Mountain which would be safe and fun.

Stone Mountain Hampton Inn has a pool and wifi and appears to be in the low $100s. This would be not far from I85. But anything along I85 or I75 north of the Downtown Connector with the amenities you want should work.
Old Jul 10th, 2014, 04:39 PM

Sorry, but to go to Gatlinburg for a break from the amusement park is an oxymoron.
However, the GSMNP is a wonderful park. I am sure there is another way to go than Atlanta.
Enjoy the Park.
Cherokee has schlock Indian stuff still, unfortunately. Dillsboro has some fun things.
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 11:49 AM

Gretchen, they could take I-95 and I-26 to Asheville, N.C.--that will be about nine hours. Then take the Blue Ridge Parkway to the Park. Or take I-40 to Dillsboro, which would take about an hour. This would probably be a nicer drive than I-75.

This, however, will still bring them to the south side of the Great Smokies Park. Cherokee has some schlock stuff, it's true, but stuff a three-year old might like. Last time I was there, there was a caged bear.

And Gatlinburg et al have their own high schlock quotient.
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 01:17 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Do you need to go to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge or are you interested in staying south of the park - and avoiding the congestion and the tacky stuff? There are many towns/locations south of the park that are lovely and you can do into GSMNP as a day trip - and avoid Gatlinburg/PG most of the time.

In any case, the route to Atlanta and up 85/985/365/441 is a good one and is expressway most of the way. You could stop anywhere in Atlanta on the way.

Another route it to head towards Madison and Athens GA and take 441 north. Madison is a gorgeous little antebellum town, that makes the prettiest towns in America list. If you want a bit of a splurge, stay at the Ritz Carlton Reynolds Plantation on Lake Oconee - VERY nice. Gorgeous lodge style lodging on a nice lake.

I take the 441 route all of the time and it's an easy drive with a few lights along the way. Not as fast as the interstate but a pretty drive and not much (if any) traffic.
Old Jul 14th, 2014, 03:46 PM

This suggestion might be nothing you are interested in, but if you want to go to family friendly places with lovely mountain scenery compatible with small children, have you thought of the Linville/Blowing Rock/Boone, NC area?
I've been to both places as a child and as an adult with a family.
GSMNP is beautiful and a lovely drive, but IMHO Gatlinburg is a hectic, kitschy, tourist trap with lots of traffic.
Some attractions nearby in NC are Grandfather Mountain, The Blue Ridge Parkway, Linville Caverns, Looking Glass Falls, Sliding Rock, Blowing Rock. All family friendly fun. The town of Boone has many hotels and the mouthwatering Daniel Boone Inn where you get seated at your table and served family style (Bowls of veggies and plates of biscuits like at grandmas). YUM.
Both are about the same distance from Orlando and you avoid Atlanta.
Just saying, if you haven't planned hotels and such you might want to google some of these places or check tripadvisor.
Old Jul 15th, 2014, 06:36 AM

I live in Orlando and we have been to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge many times. We always take the I-95, I-26, I-40 route. When we break the trip up we stop in Columbia SC. There is a Hampton Inn at around exit 102 that we really like. We also like to stop in Savannah for a couple of nights on the way home.