Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Traveling from Cambria to SF - where we can we find budget-priced places to eat? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/traveling-from-cambria-to-sf-where-we-can-we-find-budget-priced-places-to-eat-468894/)

mlm59 Aug 21st, 2004 03:18 PM

Traveling from Cambria to SF - where we can we find budget-priced places to eat?

We will be arriving in Cambria from Yosemite and then making our way up the coast to San Francisco. Are there any budget-priced places to eat in Cambria, Monterey, and San Francisco, or other places along our route other than fast food joints?

We like American, Mexican, and Italian. I know Chinese and other Oriental food is usually less expensive, but I don't like it.

In SF we are staying at the Columbus Motor Inn. What about good, reasonably priced retaurants in this area?

Thanks for any advice that anyone can offer!

Tandoori_Girl Aug 21st, 2004 03:46 PM

Be sure to check chowhound.com. Or eguillet.com. They have food recs.

smbrown Aug 23rd, 2004 03:50 PM

I can speak only for san francisco. It is a very competitive restaurant city, so there are a lot of places to eat of all price ranges. Columbus avenue is near North Beach where there are great Italian places, many very reasonably priced. You can also find great food in the neighborhoods outside the tourist areas...Haight, Marina, Inner Sunset... Chinese and Mexican food are very plentiful and usually cheap.

J_Correa Aug 24th, 2004 09:33 AM

There is a very small town called Moss Landing just north of Monterey. In Moss Landing, there is a place called Phil's Fish Market. The fish market has a restaurant attached to it, which is known for clam chowder.

sequess Aug 24th, 2004 10:13 AM

Try Main Street Grill in Cambria. It has good burgers, salads and tri-tip sandwiches. It's very casual and there is a pleasant patio.

kimamom Aug 24th, 2004 10:24 AM

We were just in Moss Landing on Saturday. I was surprosed to see that the place where we enjoyed lunch so many times has closed. I don't recall the name, but it is the place that was right on the water. We had some really good clams and seafood there. I wonder what happened?

Also in Moss Landing, is the Whole Enchilada that is supposedly very good. Anyone been there lately?

The Moonstone Bar & Grill is nice, you will have gorgeous oceanviews if you like to dine with a view. Very good fish tacos and calamari sandwiches here. ***kim***

kimamom Aug 24th, 2004 10:25 AM

Sorry, make that surprised! I need to start editing, I know! ***kim***

mlm59 Aug 24th, 2004 05:50 PM

Thanks for all of your replies. I'm one of those people who doesn't like to spend a lot of our vacation budget on food.

We do like seafood very much and was pleased with the recommendation of Phil's Fish Market. How far is it from Monterey? We will be staying in Monterey one evening and wondered about driving there for dinner.

Kim - what can you tell me about Moonstone Bar & Grill? Is it moderately priced? Some of the places I have checked out in the Cambria area are a bit pricey for my budget.

Main Street Grill sounds like a good idea for lunch. We should arrive in Cambria around noon or a little after before going on to Hearst Castle for the late afternoon tour.

smbrown - Do you have any specific places to recommend in the area near Columbus Motor Inn? Although I will have a car, I plan to walk most places, unless we are fortunate enough to catch the cable car.

Thanks to all of you who have helped with my plans!